I got my hands on a bunch of super thin sirloin steaks

I got my hands on a bunch of super thin sirloin steaks.

But I like my steak cooked rare but with a nice heavy sear on the outside.

What is the most intensely hot cooking surface one can achieve at home to get a mindblowing sear but still rare on the inside for thin meat?

Some ideas that came to mind:
>Cook them in my weber grill, but get the charcoals hot enough to forge steel with an electric blower.
>Cook them directly over a charcoal chimney (again forcing air through the briquettes to attain high heat)
>Place a cast iron skillet directly on top of a pile of lit charcoal, and blow air through the pile of coal until blacksmith forge levels of heat are generated
>Cooking the steaks right on top of the electric heating coils on the range
>Using a blowtorch

Halp

since i guess you have cast iron, just highest heat on your range, preheat the skillet until your smoke alarm goes off, add oil, seat for thirty secs. maybe, depending on how thin, flip, same, rest. eat.
super rare is grosser than you think if you don't know for absolute sure that you like it. like meat gel.

You can cook them directly on the charcoal; just fan off the excess soot first. There's a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown does exactly this.

As the other user said, you should be able to get a cast iron pan smoking hot directly on your stove. Those things retain heat and just keep getting hotter and hotter the longer you leave them on. On the other hand, don't listen to him about "meat gel" - sirloin is best served rare in my opinion; just be sure to slice it thinly with a sharp knife against the grain.

Sous vide + brulé torch.

This. If you don't have a torch, you can just sear it on a pan hot enough to smoke oil and it should sear up pretty quick.

Tried the charcoal thing before. Make sure you are using the right kind of briquets. I ended up with a ruined gritty steak. Not fun chewing bits of charcoal.

Pittsburgh style.

Find the hottest heat element you have. If you have gas stove, take a pan burn the fuck outta it throw your shit on yadda yadda.

Electric, sit a fucking pan on that for 10m and do previous stated.

>until your smoke alarm goes off,

this is the truth about cast iron the cooking blogs neglect to mention while they fuck its Fe cock.

Alton brown is a fuckwit though

They're not steaks anymore. They're 'component steaks'. Make a Fajita, beef soup, fry it for gravy in a hot beef sandwich. It's not a steak anymore if its thin.

Why would you need to mention something so obvious? If you're wanting a pan whose main point is super-high heat use then isn't it obvious that you'd heat the piss out of it before putting the food in?

To do otherwise would be a silly as buying a fancy sportscar and then never driving it beyond 45 mph.

>They're not steaks anymore. They're 'component steaks'. Make a Fajita, beef soup, fry it for gravy in a hot beef sandwich. It's not a steak anymore if its thin.
This.
Rare steak desires means you should have bought a thicker steak with a nice marbling, like ny strip.
Thin steaks should be pounded and stuffed in a roll, sliced into strips for stir fry, fajitas, breaded and pan fried, cooked well done or braised, smothered in chimmichurri for juiciness after a quick grilling. Just so delicious but just in a different way. Don't be set in your ways and expand your mind to explore new recipes and make your steak differently this time, or buy the right one.

sous vide + actual blowtorch (the pseudo-MAAP kind, not butane)

I've had a couple strip steaks that were "wobbly in the tongs" tender, they're usually lean. Rib steak bone in or out is your best go to luxury steak.

Not shitting on ny strip, just saying by the numbers.

>like meat gel

there is no stage of heating meat that it ever has the consistency of gel
if that happened to you then please rethink where you buy your meat

Hot cast iron, and a frozen steak. When it's the perfect char, it will be rare inside...

>pseudo-mapp
like, propane? or what?

i guess not gel , but more like, you could chew it all night and not really get any further.
like meat chewing gum.
if you've never experienced that, you've never undercooked a steak to that degree. like, less than blue rare.

Jet engine exhaust should do the trick

is right.

cook from frozen, get a nice sear from high smoke point oil in cast iron skillet. if inside isn't the right temp by the time the sear is done, pop in 450* oven until desired temp.

THIS MAY SOUND SILLY, BUT PUT A CAST IRON PAN ON HIGH HEAT AND LET IT SET FOR A GOOD 20 MIN.

IT WILL GET UP TO WELL OVER 600 DEGREES

SEAR FOR 30 SECONDS EACH SIDE

Pls stop shouting ;_;

Like one you get from autozone that can be lit for an extended period of time, not a cheap butane "torch" at the gas station counter.

hmmmmmmm get a blowtorch and sear the shit out of each side for a few seconds each and call it steak?

That sounds honestly pretty awful and primitive

welp while were here

r8 my st8k

pls no bully pls

why is there an uncrusted spot?

The meat curled up and didn't make full contact with the pan. Common problem. Make sure to score the fat cap doesn't keep the meat from contracting.

Wouldn't seasoning with an oil that has a high smoke point negate this?

>Those things retain heat and just keep getting hotter and hotter the longer you leave them on.

They aren't kidding. I have set oil on fire in a cast iron pan before.

>Pls stop shouting ;_;

I'M NOT SHOUTING FRIENDO. I'M ONE OF THE RESIDENT LOUD POSTERS

NO WORRIES, IT'S EASY TO MAKE THE MISTAKE

>one of

there's MORE of you bastards? I thought it was just one really obnoxious guy!

But why are you loud posting, gobshite user?

He has multiple personality disorder. Sometimes he even has conversations with his other incarnation.

we must go higher

NAH, THERE'S AT LEAST THREE OF US. WE FORMED A GROUP 5 DAYS AGO CALLED, "THE THREE LOUDPOSTING MUSKATEERS" LOL

If you just toss oil into a pan that has been pre-heated on maximum you're likely to start a fire.

Heat the pan dry on maximum. Lightly apply oil to the steak, then throw the steak into the pan.

It will still smoke like mad but at least you won't have the same risk of fire.

>not cooking your steak in a fire
I have places to go user. I need my rare steaks fast.

I'm ready to see the news story about some user that burned down a neighborhood trying to smelt a fucking thin sirloin.

>I'm ready to see the news story about some user that burned down a neighborhood trying to smelt a fucking thin sirloin.

Gatlinburg, Tn lol

Damn son