Which of the three is your favourite, Veeky Forums? Least liked?

Which of the three is your favourite, Veeky Forums? Least liked?

Favorite is Ulysses - it's good.
Least favorite is IJ - it's not good
GR - yes Tommy, your sure wrote down a lot of things. Very nice.

Ulysses > GR > IJ

They're all fine but IJ is the least fine

Ulysses is by far my favorite, really got a lot of great moments and I feel like Ive learned a lot with this book when it comes to seeing how great literature can be, amazing passages and moments, bored me only in a few chapters but that is really minimal. Leopold and Dedalus are among the most memorable and deep characters that I have found in any form of midia

Worst for me is IJ, some good passages, moments and characters, but A LOT of useless stuff, also the style is the weakest when compared to the other 2, still a good book tho

Also Ive read all 3 in portuguese, fight me

So, you haven't read any of them? Great post.

GR > Ulysses > IJ

But V. > GR and Finnegans Wake > Ulysses, so we're having the wrong discussion.

>its a "Veeky Forums shits on translated english books but reads Dante, Homer, Virgil, Baudelaire, Tolstoy, Kawabata, Saramago, Goethe, Llosa, Bolaño, Seneca, Ovidio, Proust, Dostoyevsky, Nietzsche, Pessoa, Lorca, Broch, Gombrowicz, Musil, Kafka, Assis, Huysmans, Stendhal, Oe, Zola, Mann, Kundera, Witkiewicz and Canetti in english"

V. is the worst of the four. You have shit taste.

I'm Veeky Forums?
Huh, I thought so.

I thought so too, but re-reading it after GR, it made a lot more sense.

>implying I should learn all those different languages to fluency if I want to read the classics
I'd prefer not to read translations, but sometimes it's necessary.

... thats the point mate

Ulysses is my favourite by a small margin. GR is barely below it. Both are great, and probably my two favourite novels, or at least two of my top three.

IJ is mediocre at best.

IJ is the scroll fragments from a distant future. You guys are cucked

In order of enjoyability

GR>Ulysses>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IJ

Difficulty

Ulysses>GR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IJ

Literary merit

Ulysses>GR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IJ

I wouldn't call any of them "bad" but IJ just isn't in the same league as the first two.

>implying English isn't the master language

This

now r8 the meme quadrangle

Tunnel > women and men > gaddis memepile > 1666

>master language
>the only one of the civilized languages that is completely irrelevant to literature
Really, literature would be the same without the english writers.

2666 > the recognitions > the tunnel > womemes and memes

GR

2666 is fucking shit

I haven't read any of them from front to back, but I can tell you that Veeky Forums's favorite is Ulysses and least favorite is Infinite Jest. There are no other opinions on this board.

That's the only opinion to have. Don't be a fag.

I didn't say that it isn't. The parts of Ulysses that I have read had the best writing I've ever come across. What I've read of Gravity's Rainbow had some really nice sentences but it was a complete mess of a narrative with not much cohesion.

Confirmed for being completely ignorant of the original version of Ulysses. Trust me : if you read the English version you would agree that a translation of the book simply doesn't work.

I've read a translation that involved over a dozen of people working over it for years. It was clever in parts but still didn't work.

of course no translation would do 100% justice, especially when it comes to Ulysses
but lets see some points ok?
how much you, an english native speaker, would get from this book in your first (even second and third) read without any guides? how much would you miss? now, imagine someone that isn't fluent in english and reads a translation, which is basically an interpretation of the original work, an interpretation done by a scholar, somebody that studied for years Joyce's work (and others translation of the same work) and took 10 years to translate the book, which version would offer you more in therms of content?

sure, chapters like oxen of the sun can't be translated, but if you think all brilliancy of Ulysses are puns and language/structure manipulation you are missing a lot of great stuff, saying things like "being completely ignorant of the original version of Ulysses" is wrong, is like saying "if you don't read Illiad out loud AND in the original you are ignorant to the original work".

that being said, if you can read in english do it, if you can't don't think twice and read a good translation, you WILL lose a lot, but will gain more than enough to justify reading a translation

user, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

>can't argue

as expected from a burguer muncher

>2666 is fucking shit
ooooooOooo robert volcanos beat the FUCK out

GR > Ulysses [power gap] IJ

Bolaño is going to rape the shit out of you

Yes. It's going to be more of a curiosity than a landmark, decades from now.

Infinite Jest is most difficult, but only because of its length and repetition

ITT: Plebs who just don't get Infinite Jest or David Foster Wallace

This. If you truly get big Davey, you'd understand that not only was he the king of the wild frontier, he was also the king of literature. far better than joyce, and, stealing the crown from pynchon.

I've not actually read all of Ulysses (reading now), but I've read Portrait and Dubliners and I think IJ is a lot better than either. You do have to do quite a lot of work to get stuff out of IJ but I did feel "seduced" into doing so and it lead me to have actual honest to God epiphanies.

i'm not making any insane claims like that, i just truly don't think a lot of people get DFW. i don't even think IJ is his best work, i prefer his essays

Brief Interviews With Hideous Men was his best overall but Pynchon and Joyce at their best are still leagues ahead of him.