When/where does your smartphone's GPS no longer work?

When/where does your smartphone's GPS no longer work?

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/5824905/your-gps-doesnt-work-at-mach-2-because-its-afraid-youre-a-soviet-spy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice try, NSA.

when you do this

you never know
your phone is remote-controlled
and so are you

in concrete building

>trusting a software button
>being this naive
also
>iphone

When you go faster than idk, 300km/h?

Impossible, nobody can go faster than Sanic

If you are far away and moving quickly it would have a hard time knowing where you are, I'd think.

In my kitchen, along with any other reception.

When the phone is going faster than the government mandated "I'm probably a missile guidance system now" speed limit or altitude:
gizmodo.com/5824905/your-gps-doesnt-work-at-mach-2-because-its-afraid-youre-a-soviet-spy

GPS in phones uses cell towers to triangulate, instead of using satellites.

Your phone can use the satelites, but normally doesn't.

Just use GLONASS or one of the other satelite navigation systems, duh.

Is that why location is normally pretty inaccurate?

>when you want the NSA to stop tracking you

You can just buy Chinese GPS receivers that don't have this

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn't own a phone of any type? I don't have a cell phone or a land line. I literally only use internet on my home PC and communicate using email.

It is actually really nice. No one can bother me when I'm out and about. I'm actually aware of my surroundings and freely interact with them.

>No one can bother me when I'm out and about
I think the same way. The downside with that is that you are limited in certain ways.

Smartphones are better "hand-held computers" than they are actual phones, and that's a good way to view them if you don't want to become wrapped up in useless social rigamarole. I use mine to do the same things I do on my home computer, but still have the mobility of a cell phone. Balance with moderation is always key.

This
Depending on the software, should work until the signal attenuates.
GPS just gives local time, which defines a sphere of possibilities for where you are. The intersection of another GPS sphere gives a circle of possibilities. A third gives two possible points. You could guess that the receiver was on Earth, which could help you eliminate a point. Or you could use a fourth satellite.
More satellites can be added to improve precision through sensor fusion algos

When you're on a higher altitude than the GPS satellite.

i know that feel bro

and everyone you know
is waiting on a cue

if you enclose you or your phone in a Faraday cage, you should be good

300km/h = 18,000km/min = 1,080,000 km/s = 1,080,000,000 m/s

>"just go faster than light"

well me'med my friend

Yea, different carriers use different algorithms. Apple uses an entirely separate system as well.

You could have someone with sprint and another with Verizon standing in the same place but their location could be several miles apart on a map app.

Specifically, a 4G tower can send a usable signal in about a 7 mile radius.
A 3g tower can go out to around 12 or so.

>300km/h = 18,000km/min

W E W
Ɑ ∀ ˥

It can barely use them. Wind is enough to dampen the signal, instead of having to be under layers of light fabric like traditional gps devices