/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

"Original Dinosaur is actually a vampire and is trying to turn as many anons as possible" - Edition

When were you bitten by the OG Dino?

What aged sff books did you suddenly get a craving for?

How long do you like your books to stew in the abyss that is decades before you consume them?

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reposting my bait and trash free chart which is missing Solaris

Oh look it's the same three authors... zZzz

It has over 20 authors

>Anne Frank

Wew lad

Yet the only remotely interesting book on there is Golden Age.

>Dude, that rule about magic I told you at the beginning of this book isn't actually true lmao. What a twist

HELLO BOYS!!

Also the worst one writing and quality wise.

Thats a lot of dick.

Brandon you piss me off so bad. Stormlight is going to be your only saving grace since WoT fizzled out into a non-ending and you're wasting all your time on these dollar-bin paperbacks.

>Watch video of Sanderson doing a Q&A
>He says he got into an argument at a panel before then with 3 other female authors because he said magic should be explained and clearly defined

Anyone know what this is?

He wrote a lot of good shit.

There must be a balance!!!

Yea, a bunch of lazy ass authors who liked to use deus ex machina in there book.
They got upset when Sanderson made the public aware that ass pulling should not be accepted.

...Have you read the third Mistborn novel?

Read all, except that short story about a certain someone.

no male fantasy writer can write realistic female dialogue like Sanderson, least of all the neckbeard virgins like rothfuss

Which rule was that?

never got this meme
I thought it was about blowjobs... but then I see posts like yours and I don't even know

What the fuck is this dino shit?

That's because he enjoys sucking cocks.

Not quite. He realizes everyone on top is corrupt and manipulates them into fighting each other, but his commentary implies he really likes what they've been able to accomplish and he wishes they'd actually led humanity like they were supposed to. He doesn't actually try to set up a new government, on screen at least, just helps out his family like a good Red boy

Why is Tolkien so f*cking boring?

What makes Bakker so based?

Because you are too dumb to enjoy things commonly known as prose and atmosphere, also poetry and epic (as in epic poem, not Malazan type nonsense) characterisation.

Prose is long winded and bad, "atmosphere" is overdone and thus boring, neither the "poetry" nor characterization is interesting

That's now even close to how the books turn out, user trolled you

Also very little to do with Marxism or whatever besides the color

It is interesting if you have an appreciation for the lore and land. Maybe Divergent is more your speed?

>Prose is long winded
Hardly. As it's written in the style of myth, it's focused on using specific words that bring a lot to the table, but a low number of them.
Unless you are used to Sanderson, then, yes, it's long winded.
>"poetry"
Based poems are not "poetry"
>nor characterization is interesting
It's a magnificent revival of the medieval ideals of relations between classes and it's a perfect example of how to do archetypes.

just finished forge of darkness (from the kharkanas trilogy), this was nice

Recktum, damn near killed 'em

Interesting, I haven't ever talked with anyone who read Erickson. Have you read Gardens of the Moon?

I have Man in the High Castle sitting on my desk, I'm debating over whether to read it before or after I hunt down my Clarke anthology.

>it's focused on using specific words that bring a lot to the table, but a low number of them.
This is my fetish.

>I haven't ever talked with anyone who read Erickson
What?

The expanse series by James S.A Corey, is it any good?

The tv show is pretty disappointing.

Tom Jane is always good tho, very underrated actor imo.

whaaaaaat? What rule got broke?

Adam Jensen actor was the only fun thing about it

Saved. Really sad how Leto doesn't mind being physically cucked.

ive read (and reread) erikson's malazan stuff and ice's things
also wth, these threads mention malazan pretty frequently

It's pretty solid imo but I don't read much scifi

It's fun, but hardly memorable

Im talking about when a charecter lies to the POV about the rules, like when Denth says it is impossible to give away your breaths one at a time.

But that character was proven to be untrustworthy. Denth lied about being a good guy, too, and you're not angry about that.

I just bought Princess of Mars, was it a good call?

lists like these are good for immediately spotting plebs by checking if all they suggest are old novels.

Generally you'll never find a list like this with novels that were written within the last 5-10 years because the reader doesn't actually have any good taste or understanding of the medium, and instead only consumes and likes that which has shown some value to others throughout recent history. These kinds of people will never pick up a book that just came out and recognize it for the genius it is because they don't actually know anything about anything.

Most likely they post these lists not as a means to help others find good stuff, but to make themselves feel smarter than they really are.

Pretty much. That guy in particular shits on everything new, even books which he hasn't even read.

eh, depends on what you're into. it completely lacks those sci fi elements that blow your mind and make you want to know more about the universe. the central lore/plot peace is the alien virus/biomass thing of the series, and that doesn't have much more impact than a fart.

I'm curious too, since I've made it my mission to read this list

A-am I a p-pleb user-kun?

Fun series, the book where they go to the alien planet is probably the least since it feels like the non-Miller parts are just filler.

Don't make the mistake I did and read the Dagger and the Coin series expecting something as entertaining. It's not! It's really boring and I'm tempted to drop it rather than reading the 4th book.

W-what about this list?

We can all agree that old book covers are the best.

>Implying it wasn't already too late for me
>When were you bitten by the OG Dino?
:3
>What aged sff books did you suddenly get a craving for?
Ficciones, Gormenghast and The King of Elflands Daughter. Only 1 for 3 sadly.
>How long do you like your books to stew in the abyss that is decades before you consume them?
I'm partial to the 80s vintage, with 70s a close second. Older vintages are consumed semi-regularly with trepidatious curiosity. My general rule was to check the copyright date and put down anything newer than 1989 as too ripe.

How do we encourage more black SFF authors?

But but but they might have used whatever random art from the publisher had on hand and you can't tell what the book is about because of that!
bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/sad-puppies-3-the-unraveling-of-an-unreliable-field/
>That’s what’s happened to Science Fiction & Fantasy literature. A few decades ago, if you saw a lovely spaceship on a book cover, with a gorgeous planet in the background, you could be pretty sure you were going to get a rousing space adventure featuring starships and distant, amazing worlds. If you saw a barbarian swinging an axe? You were going to get a rousing fantasy epic with broad-chested heroes who slay monsters, and run off with beautiful women. Battle-armored interstellar jump troops shooting up alien invaders? Yup. A gritty military SF war story, where the humans defeat the odds and save the Earth. And so on, and so forth.

>These days, you can’t be sure.

>The book has a spaceship on the cover, but is it really going to be a story about space exploration and pioneering derring-do? Or is the story merely about racial prejudice and exploitation, with interplanetary or interstellar trappings?

>There’s a sword-swinger on the cover, but is it really about knights battling dragons? Or are the dragons suddenly the good guys, and the sword-swingers are the oppressive colonizers of Dragon Land?

why are the puppies so autistic? this character, vox, john c fedora... what a crowd

I mean WTF! Man in The High Castle was about Nazis or something and not Dali style paintings!

Not but I really hate the trend of using photographs for covers. Even totally bizarre artworks that misrepresent the content are better.

I guess they knew Dick was on drugs so they thought it wouldn't matter if they made a nonsense cover.

Better than disgusting CGI or weird-ass pictures.

And the Hounds of Tinaldos wasn't about a Asian space cyclops at all, it was some shit about alien dogs or something.

Yeah, "generic brooding male model with sword and cloaked face" or "blonde girl in World of Warcraft costume looks into the distance" is like the lowest common denominator these days. Still better than a vanity press published book with poser art I guess.

I remember seeing a series of paperbacks at Borders back before they folded that had a Assassin's Creed cosplayer as the cover art.

Looks like a pretty solid sampler. Most of those that I've read I've liked or at least saw why other people liked it.

>Don't make the mistake I did and read the Dagger and the Coin series expecting something as entertaining. It's not! It's really boring and I'm tempted to drop it rather than reading the 4th book.
Next time chart user tells you something, I hope you listen instead of trying to prove me wrong.

Anyone got a link to Abercrombie's "Sharp Ends"? (Short stories from First Law world etc).

epub, mobi, even PDF... all good

I don't look at the charts actually. Only tried it because I've had a ton of free time this summer, my local library has the books and I went "Abraham is the Expanse guy right?"

Send Delaney to prison?

Anyone else hate the fact that R.A. Salvatore is only known for his Forgotten Realms (is that what it's even called?) Drizzt Do'Urden bullshit? Why no love for The Crimson Shadow?

Rock fuckin solid, lads. It's old but it really doesn't matter, breaks all kinds of expectations. Watch John Carter of Mars after you read it, too. Solid film.

Why?

Laughable piece of shit or worth reading?

Also, I am looking for a really good sci-fi read that is about a lone individual on some kind of alien planet or construct, and it is written in this character's view the whole way — it never shares knowledge with the reader that the main character doesn't have. Anyone have suggestions?

Was written by a Vietnam veteran about a soldier getting lost in the military-industrial system, plus time dilation. Amazing book.

Reading more about it online (non-spoiling reviews). Sounds fucking awesome, thanks.

Didn't recommend him through the charts, it was from typing. I thought you were the user that wanted the economical/political intrigue fantasy.

No worries, cobber.

Yo my mans, can I get some hard sci-fi recommendations? So far I've liked: Blindsight (and its sequel), Revelation Space (and NOT its sequels).

Greg Egan and Stephen Baxter are good

Most things by Greg Egan and Heinlein, for the most part.

>EPIC BOOK 1

>didn't like Redemption Ark
No recs for you, pleb.

Looking for a series about ships and the unknown terrors that live under the sea. Something like red seas under red skies- That book scratched an itch i did not know i had.

>Flight of the Dragonfly
>Cover art is obviously a dick and balls

There's the will weight Of sea and shadow series that is basically this, but the quality is dubious as it's basically YA.

That said, it perfectly matches your description of what you're looking for, so it depends how strong your craving is.

It's only one book, but pic related would be perfect for you - loads of spoopy sea creatures, plus an entire floating town made from lashed-together pirate ships

Tried finding some of Greg Egan's books online but couldn't (I'm a Jew, I know). Will try out Stephen Baxter and Heinlein.
Redemption Ark sucked man. Too many Deus Ex Machina moments, Volyova acting irrationally and the conjoiners are kinda gay too. Absolution Gap was better but it still didn't give me those epic feels the first one did, such as when Sylveste descended into Cerberus.

What did he mean by this?

Nice, didn't expect to come here and see a DinoDrac reference.

This one looked interesting, checked it out and saw it was book 2 of a trilogy. Buying the whole set now.
Thanks man!

Choke on a Phillip K, user.

Alri nerds, what's your go to midnight snack when you've been drinking/smoking and reading?

Quesadilla is my vote

Sounds good mang.
I always go for something salty.

Hope you enjoy them - the first and third booka aren't really ocean based, though, just be aware of that.

Has anyone read the Deepgate series, and if so, is it worth the read? I'm debating on whether or not to start it due to the "cheese" factor.

Saltines with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk.

>Saltines with peanut butter and a glass of chocolate milk.
Cut out the middleman
Saltines with PB and Nutella sandwich, nigga

Why read Twilight if you can read Homer?
I have no interest in contemporary crap at all when I still have old things to read. Contemporary lit is like contemporary food. It's disgusting once you've tasted real food.

Also not only you have shit taste but are also retarded because it's obvious everything that comes before is the foundation for what comes later. Now, which of the two would be more interesting to read?

My list actually has some newer novels, but they are few because the new ones I've read were shit

"Foundations" are usually garbage though, and new things take and improve upon them.

>Watch John Carter of Mars after you read it, too. Solid film.
Is this for real? It looked like Hollywood crap with the fag from SNL.