Why is Veeky Forums so butthurt over CS?

Why is Veeky Forums so butthurt over CS?
Is it just jealousy because CS people get the best of both worlds; The option to work on deep theoretical problems in academia, or go to exciting, important and high-paying jobs in industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

quantamagazine.org/20151124-kadison-singer-math-problem/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chemist here. I believe CS > Biology > Physics > Math > Philosophy

In terms of career opportunities, comfyness or importance?

Personally I would probably say Math > Philosophy > Physics > CS >Biology in terms of the importance for mankind (not necessarily practical).
But evaluated for comfyness, career opportunities and importance It seems it would be CS > Math > Physics > Biology > Philosophy.

Math+CS double major here, while there is much potential in computer science, CS degrees are usually babby tier money sinks that are too scared to confront students who are in it for the meme fields with any challenging material, and would rather teach you things that are either a waste of time or could be learnt more efficiently on your own.

Philosophy > Math > CS > Chemistry = Biology > Physics

>bio before philosophy
Idk, a lot of philosophy people go on to get MBA, law or grad degrees.

Because most of CS students don't give a fuck about science. They just want to make games or make large money. They are ignorant, don't care about theory and often don't care about practice as well.
I say it as a CS student. I was pretty good at programming before I went to uni and I have pretty decent job, so I study CS because I'm so interested in theory and math. However my degree is full of people who are like "Why do I need to study algebra if I only want to make games!" or "Why do I need to learn Java, I'm PHP dev!!!" and they are both annoying and stupid as fuck.

Literally haven't seen this meme since 2014

>tfw my uni has two main CS degrees, one more practical the other more theoretical
>taking the more theoretical option
>tfw all the "muh gaymes" plebs gets filtered out.

Oh.
Maybe ill get myself an education too.
I know how to JFrame and how to dank[]

Five years ago I studied (applied) software engineering (the curriculum had no math whatsoever), I was one of those I want to make cool games and hack computers and stuff guys.
My other friends also all dropped out of civil engineering and went to industrial engineering because they told me it's all theory and you don't get to do cool shit.
After I "graduated" I did not want to work as one of those code-monkeys, writing stupid games or apps, I matured a bit over years and I started to see the beauty in math and theory of computation and other sciences I could not possibly comprehend. I wanted to learn it all, I found the beauty in computer science marvelous, mystifying, mesmerizing.
So I started to study computer science at a good university with a good curriculum with all the math courses you needed to be a good computer scientist. Starting from basic math all over again and SICP. The math and theory that I used to hate, I now embraced it, it became my hobby, I made a habit out of visiting the library, where I could read about all these great people who achieved so much in science, where I could read the papers of my heroes I could only look up to. I understand mathematical subjects now I could only dream of years ago.
Now that I'm older barely see "muh games" now and then,the master courses are for 99.9% filtered out with those, hell they barely make it in the third year of uni because most of the stuff is so theoretical.
If you are mad about people just wanting to program games and stuff and not caring about science, and they still make it in your uni, you are probably going to need to find a better university.

>The option to work on deep theoretical problems in academia, or go to exciting, important and high-paying jobs in industry?

Sorry my main man, you confused CS with Math.

where the fuck are you? I'm from Germany and had none of these people. The few idiots we had dropped out in the first two semesters.

That said, I value practical experience much much more in CS than theoretical knowledge. Depends on the field though.

>Why is Veeky Forums so butthurt over CS?

I am not butthurt, I studied CS myself. The problem is, that unfortunately many CS programmes tend to neglect mathematical rigor in favor of a quick and easy approach to writing software. Of course this is frowned upon by the STEM community.

Poland.
Of course practical experience is more important than theory in CS. At least for me, theory is just something interesting and good to know, but not really useful. What really matter at the end is how well you solve given problem.
However these people have no practical experience. They don't program on their own and don't have passion for programming. They only do what they have to do for homework and tests and believe university will make them into great programmers earning top wages.

>They don't program on their own and don't have passion for programming
Ironically, that's exactly what everyone wished for when they were encouraging people to get into CS, but didn't realize the consequences. The only means of motivating people (on a greater scale) into something is through external motivation like e.g. with earnings, job security, etc. That's why there is so little love for CS lately.
It's sort of like a dream that came true and became a nightmare.

That's a more general problem and a reason why so many people hate their jobs. It takes years of experiencing what life is about to realize what you really want to do with it. But you don't really have that time because you have to make a decision when you're basically just a kid oblivious to the world.
There are quite a few people who got derailed early in life but came back on track latter to have a more successful and happier life than people who did everything right from the beginning.

Math>Physics>Biology>>>>>>CS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Philosophy

CS undergrad degrees are pretty lame, as mentioned. But actual theoretical CS research is bretty cool (even though it's really just a branch math).

CS major here. CS students are very often of the "woa there slow down with the maths" kind. It's unlikely to have positive stimuli coming from the class for the professor to teach advanced material. Fortunately most of professors won't care and will still do it even if it means failing 50% of the class on average

That message is brutally accurate
>All hard math and impossible to self study
>DeMorgan's, graph theory, Bayes
Huehue

Yeah I agree CS is actually a cool field but undergrad curricula generally suck. Lot of programming, advanced programming, advanceder programming and a bit of complexity.

if you could go back and study computer science from the start would you?

We have this thread all the time

Yes, we're jelly you have extremely well paying jobs with a bachelors

Yes, we think anyone could do your degree because it's bullshit

It's just another example of how you spin the roulette wheel going into college. Who is going to be in demand when you finish your years of education? Turns out it's the stupidest of the smart.

CS is a waste of time.
I wish would just go with pure math instead.

same here desu, its fucking glorious

Isn't that just called "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering" by any respectable uni?

This desu. Most of the "why do we need maths??" idiots left within two weeks at mine, and the majority of applicants actually understand what CS was about

Yeah. I also did not understand Category Theory at first but then I learnt Haskell and now it all makes perfect sense to me.
CS made me understand Math better.

>Isn't that just called "Computer Science" and "Software Engineering" by any respectable uni?
Not him, but in here(Poland) we don't have these names and everything is called "Informatics". We have 3 different "Informatics" degrees at my university, one more lika software engineering, one more about electronics and one more theoretical.

CS is pure math

My major is 'Business Data Analytics'

60% business classes; accounting, brief calculus, statistics.

40% CS classes

It's a high utility degree but I'd like to get more math in there.

Why are bots reposting old threads
Does this achieve anything?

Troll harder next time.

In Denmark they call CS "Datalogi" but that's just a different word for the same exact thing.

>bots
These are not bots. These are paid s**l*s

>study CS
>have no money
>find job with small wage but flexible hours and can spend 90% of time browsing yt and Veeky Forums
>realize I'm more competent than all these code monkey or trainees
>after few months ask for 50% raise, got it
>earn more than any other student I know
>start searching for better jobs
>find nice home office offer with about 3 times higher wage, but I'm not sure about my competence
>few days ago some company suddenly contact me with similar offer
>mfw it's the same company
>mfw they say I have right experience and skill set for this role
I have no regrets. Only idiots who go for CS without passion whine about lack of jobs.

>tfw your uni has a robust coop program that basically guarantees a job if you put the effort in

Feels good man

waterloo?

fell for the "philosophy is bad" meme.

it's the only place left where students can learn to use language with true rigor. English departments are what truly deserves the scorn heaped on philosophy. as mentioned, philosophy students have a number of interesting post-grad options open to them, and moreover they have fairly good earning potential immediately after getting their BA.

I'm an English student btw, not a philosophy autist sucking my own dick.

nope

I got a BSEE then took a software engineering job. Had a focus in computer engineering so some embedded systems classes, some CS classes.

Some CS classes were good (operating systems and data structures) others were kind of shitty (OO Design). Impression of undergrad CS is its more of an engineering degree than a science degree as it mostly focuses on application.

I get paid a fuck ton to develop software but my personal passions are in graph theory and computational biology so I try to find time to work on those subjects on my weekends. So far have made surprising progress even without the structure of a class.

Honesty to summarize, my impression is that CS degrees exist in some places to fill the need for workers who can create the software needed by high technology industry, but there are also programs geared toward people who see CS as aneeded opportunity to leverage computing power to advance science or even to pursue CS as a "pure math" style exercise in possibility and elegance.

Science purists will tend to dislike those who do the former. Personal opinion is that they overlook those who do the latter.

I like the Velvet Underground poster on his wall

Are you high?

>pic
>input and output is DC, but there's a bridge rectifier
>only there is no input, just an output
>nothing meaningful is connected to the bridge rectifier except itself and that is bypassed.
>caps don't do jack since they are not charged by anything
>half the blocking diodes are backwards, the other half are meaningless.

WAT

Yes

You know the worst part about this is that it's actually a good resume if you cut away the pony shit.

state machines?
computability?
grammars?

ur a fagit

>tfw could have taken formal languages and automata theory but advisor said it would be too much

Yes, as it stands it is a GREAT resume.

>formal language course is taught by cs dept chair
>couple weeks into class he asks the class who the dept chair is
>i just chuckle
>some kid says the name of one of the advisors
>i maximum chuckle

>"""""Exciting""""""

Life is really, really bad in every way to be honest. Why did it have to happen?

Don't you see the banana on the last panel? s.mh

>Is it just jealousy
Lrn2envy fgt pls

quantamagazine.org/20151124-kadison-singer-math-problem/

The link to OP's pic for people who are curious about the only thing of any actual value in this shit-tier thread

Even though the degree is called "Computer Science", it is mostly just used to create engineers, not scientists. That's why Veeky Forums gets annoyed when people discuss their software engineering education here.

Obviously there are also actual scientists in the field and there is no problem in discussing their research here.

>tfw and actual CS "scientist" and not an engineer pleb