The other day I made a pot of rice, and after I had started cooking it...

The other day I made a pot of rice, and after I had started cooking it, I noticed that the bag I got the rice from had little maggots inside. Not a lot, probably something like 10 maggots inside the whole bag (I moved it around). I ended up throwing it away, yet I still ate the rice I cooked.

My question is, is there a chance it could make me sick? I'm not a queasy person, and this should just be a little protein boost, right? Pretty sure they're larvae to little moths I've seen flying around.

Protip: It is very common but is very food safe too. You can always complain for free rice, but it happens to alot of packaged foods.

Cool, thanks

They are rice weevils, which are incredibly common, and why you should thoroughly wash rice before cooking it. They are not harmful to you, but they're still pretty gross.

fuck man that shit grosses me out, but I guess it's just what happens in the process of cultivating the rice. although one time I opened up a cup noodles and there was a fucking larva inside of it, fuck that shit

pantry moths are a thing to get rid of them you'll need to remove and check all you dry goods for larvae. then spray the empty pantry with insecticide and seal it for a few day to try and kill all the hidden moths and eggs. Then when restocking the pantry leave some moth traps for a few weeks just in case anything comes back.

Why was I reading this while I was eating rice?

I always freeze my rice and flour before storing. Never had bug problems.

>notices his rice has literally festered to the point of supporting a colony of insect larva
>shrugs his shoulders and mows down the rice anyway

Classy.

OP here, I was about to have some breakfast with muesli since I hadn't had some in a long while, and the shit is fucking infested with the goddamn maggots.
Time to nuke this pantry

>My question is, is there a chance it could make me sick

You should always wash the rice with water before cooking. Any bugs will float up when you do and you can pick them out.

Any that stay behind will be free protein.

There is a kind of moth that lays eggs in bread, noodles and rice (anything grain based). They are a complete pest and hard to get rid off. I had to throw out all my grain based products that were not stored in jars, my rice noodles were completely infested with them.

Even years after some of them still come out of the cracks of the walls and fly around. They are also quite sneaky and smart: I once hit one mid air and it landed inside my bread bag, through a tiny hole. I also had a spider whom I would feed these fuckers too but whenever they would be behind the web and on the window it would seem that could see the webbing and would walk till it was no longer overhead before escaping, they also like to pretend they were dead when they were trapped.

kek. For some reason, I think because of the attribution of anthropomorphic characteristics like "cunning" to insects, I could not stop laughing while reading this post.

It might also be because I'm still somewhat buzzed from last night.

brb digging though my entire 5lb box of rice checking for bugs

why have you done this to me

>Even years after some of them still come out of the cracks of the walls and fly around.
I see your twig houses treat you well, ameritard.

all grains have bug eggs in them. its pretty much impossible to get them all out.

the eggs will hatch when they sit long enough because moisture will build up

the eggs are in the food

the eggs are in there, whether they hatch is a matter of how long they sit there gaining moisture

I got myself some big jars and I'm keeping my rice and pasta in there from now on. I had a sealed bag of rice and these pesky motherfuckers actually dug holes through the package and got in

My parents always had a habit of storing all the dry goods into plastic containers because they hated having a pile of unsealable bags lying around that I could spill, so when I moved out, I started doing the same for my rice and cereal and stuff because they're going to sit around for a good few weeks and I'm paranoid about bugs.

Only exception is pasta because they are in tiny 1lb boxes and I eat go through the boxes pretty quickly.

Rice I buy in like 20kg bags so those go straight into plastic containers.

>people have bugs in their house

Sure is third world in here

tfw Veeky Forums has a put you off eating everything forever thread

The world is covered in shit and germs and you have little control over most of it.

Deal with it.
Unless your body is immuno-compromised in which case, have fun avoiding death.

Rice doesnt fester bud.

Because you're insane. A handful of weevil larva or eggs in your rice will never even be noticeable. Are you an, "OMFG, animal flesh! Ewww!" vegan?

This.

Those larvae just converted your worthless carbs into protein for you. Eat them and be thankful.

Yeah, could be weevils. I had a bunch of them in my sushi rice once. Decided to have a weevil colony in a big jar in my room.

There are thousands of bugs in your house right now, no matter where you live

May have just fed rice to dog imho, he likes to eat bugs haha

OP is clearly some third worlder, this shit doens't happen in the US of A.

Nah they use maggots to clean dead flesh sometimes
They aren't dangerous, just vile

>mfw I made some pasta today and a grown fucking moth floated up

Those maggots grow into moths and grain weevils (look like little black beetles). Inevitably some will come in one of your packaged grains and will fuck up your whole pantry. Rice, dry beans, pasta, cereal. I had to empty out everything once. From then on everything gets stored in airtight bags or plastic containers. Not just clothespins or bag clips.