It's sad how few people on Veeky Forums have actually lived. I mean really lived...

It's sad how few people on Veeky Forums have actually lived. I mean really lived. There are so many aspiring writers here who haven't even left their own country, or have only left it to holiday with family in their youth. There are people here who have not experienced a series of tumultuous relationships, people who have not hitchhiked for hundreds of miles in whatever direction suits them best that moment, people who have not found themselves drinking hard liquor with a gang of strangers at 2am in a city they can't even remember the name of. Me? I've done all these things. I've traveled the lonesome highways, caught trains and buses and sat shivering and damp in the passenger seats of cars belonging to people who told me more about life than the lonely and callow narcissists on this board ever have. I've gazed lovingly into the eyes of women who taught me the ineffable secrets of their mysterious sex. I've worked more jobs I can remember and learned more skills than I will ever need. I have made friends and enemies from coast to coast and experienced more emotional peaks and valleys than most people here can even comprehend. How can you guys even call yourselves writers when you haven't even mastered the world about which you are intending to write? How can you expect anybody to take your writing seriously when you have experienced barely more than a child afraid of what lies beyond the boundaries of his comfortable little world? My writing flows with an assurance that reflects my own internal state. The dialogue I write is representative of the parlance of the man on the street, not the child in the abstract universe you have concocted to compensate for the fact that the world outside your window terrifies and confuses you. When I write a profound sentence I do it knowing I will be understood and admired not only by the academic whiling away a quiet afternoon in his armchair, but also for the orphaned young man working sixty hours a week as a knuckle-puller in a Sheboygan abattoir. And all this at the age of nineteen, my literary life almost entirely ahead of me, several USBs hanging from my keychain full of stories that would no-doubt make the pale and sheltered suburbanites that browse this board gasp in incredulity. Next month I move to New York to begin a degree in English Literature, focusing on creative writing. The professor phoned me as soon as he had read my application to ask that I choose his university (it's one of the best in the country, why wouldn't I?) with the promise that he will personally guide me over the next three years, or however long it's going to take for me to get my first book out there. Have you lived Veeky Forums? I mean, really lived?

Calm down, Bukowski. What you did on your gap yah doesn't make you an interesting person. An insufferable one, maybe.

7/10
not bad, OP, not bad.

Maybe, but I know how to tickle my prostate with a small griffon dildo from Bad Dragon.

It's all about unique experiences.

OHHHHHHHH

OP is memeing, but what is with the fetishization of travel among young people? I get that it's cool to see new places, but I'm constantly reading shit from people who think they're going to have some kind of spiritual awakening by travelling to some grimy cities or third-world shitholes.

maybe you are right OP im useless

I don't get the obsession, but it is a great, memorable experience if you go and do something worthwhile.

In my teens I went to Nepal for a three weeks; some of the best times I ever had. The views of the mountains were great.

You every played dark souls? You know how you look down over hill/cliff edges and see the clouds, it was like that in some of the villages we went to. The villagers were extremely welcoming as well; I've still got a few of em on facebook.

I didn't have a "spiritual awakening", but I did have a hell of a good time.

You're not the common pleb user. Most people just do it because they have been influenced by pure memetic force which has caused them to do things so they can project them onto social media.

FUCK OFF NORMIE SCUMS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm a girl and within seconds of meeting a guy my age I can tell whether or not he has traveled and whether, consequently, he is someone I want to spend my time with. I meet a guy, he's quiet, reserved, he stutters and stumbles over basic sentences. He doesn't smile, he laughs politely and rarely, he wears clothes that are either too tight or too baggy and which look as if they were picked from a thrifstore clothesrack by his mother back in 2008. When I ask a question his answers come in "yes" and "no"s, when I begin talking about a subject he has expressed (mild) interest in he simply agrees with what I say and smiles the way a small child does when praised by his aunts at Christmas. In short this guy is not a traveler. Instead of venturing out in the world, instead of asserting his will and demanding that the world yield to whatever demands he may have, instead of turns inward, his will is inverted, he would prefer to plummet than ascend. Rather than reach overcome his anxieties and mental peculiarities through empathy and conversation, he allows them to entirely dominate his perspective and disposition, to make themselves so much at home in his distorted psychology that the disorders and peculiarities and paranoid distortions themselves eventually become the essential substance of his character. I'd buy him a train ticket myself if I thought he had the courage to use it.

If it's not a pasta, it says a lot about you user : ^ )

tl;dr
bait is not worth the effort
everyone SAGE this thread

You would really not like Kant

sage it when you post

Kant doesn't write fiction, nor does he writing anything about human psychology. He is essentially a mathematician.

newfags keep bumping this shithread

Youngsters nowadays, especially women have literally no hobbies and fill their empty lives with vapid backpacking around the world in an attempt to fulfill themselves and their empty lives and they're hoping this will make them look interesting to other people.

>BPD finds the father figure they never had
nice blog, but you could have stayed home and read more if you wanted Veeky Forums points. i guess /trv/ already laughed at you?

>nor does he writing anything about human psychology
so much ignorance it hurts
the critique of pure reason is essentially a work of human psychology, to the point he was accused of doing psychology instead of philosophy
Everything kant wrote after the critical period follows the same line of thought...

>And men go abroad to admire the heights of mountains, the mighty waves of the sea, the broad tides of rivers, the compass of the ocean, and the circuits of the stars, yet pass over the mystery of themselves without a thought.

Man, this thread is great. 10/10, would make some awesome copypasta.

This post is so underrated

I went to Canada once. It was pretty shitty.

How about you stop projecting your normative values unto my existence, Kerouac wannabe?

Nice memeing, btw.

If you are under 30 and working a full-time office job you will never make it as a writer. The passion just isn't there.

The buttmad in this thread lol
Hate to spoil it for you guys but he's right. The only writer who didn't travel extensively and joined an MFA program was DFW and look at how he turned out :^)

Well aren't you proud of yourself. Mocking the losers that will never reach your success*. (Which i doubt is real, seeing as how you 'had' to go on the internet for approval) If anything that I understood from your post was how naive and laughably pathetic you are. Im talking in terms of all that you've described as real, you say you talked to people on a cum stained bus at 2:00am, hitchhiked with strangers to suprising yourself with how much cum can go through you arsehole in one day, and that some rapist will rape you in new york while you type on your mac. Now if what you typed wasn't real...then how hi-larious! You're crowned king of Veeky Forums. Emporer of the insufferable, Ruler of the flaccids, Leader of the delusional narcissists. It takes a certain kind of pathetic to want to be better then people on Veeky Forums my boy.

But not all of us want to be writers either. Some of us just enjoy reading.

I like Boxxy, and here's why. I'm not post pubescent (over 25), I have a girlfriend, and I don't fantasize about her. I like her because she is the antidote, the antithesis, the hemlock in the cup to Internet Tough Guyism. I was surprised to see that, for all its posturing, /b/ really does hold one thing sacred: its "bad muthafucka" image of itself. /b/ really believes that it's frightening, that it's tougher than a Ford Chevy, that it's badass masculinity personified, in a sense. And, before, there were very few ways to disrupt this image, to give it a good hard kick in the shins. And then Boxxy came along. Boxxy love is everything /b/ hates - passive, gentle, adorable, sweet. It gives without asking, it loves without asking in return. Instead of being aggressively faux-adult, it's happily faux-childlike. That's why Boxxy became a meme - because she DIDN'T want the attention; because she provided no pics (as the /b/tards will attest). As a result, Boxxy turned into the most successful way to troll the /b/tards ever devised. It actually makes the gore and violence and sexism and racism fantards squeal, because it hits them where it hurts - in their image of themselves. How can they be tough, scary guys when their favorite hangout is one long love poem to Boxxy love? So that's why I love Boxxy - the sound of /b/'s humiliation is sweet music to my ears.

This

I really don't get it, Reykjvavik is the same as Dubrovnik is the same as Tblisi is the same as Bishkek.

I've never been to America but I can't imagine it's any different except maybe having more faggots

reported

>announcing a report

That's not allowed.

Reported

>I don't get the obsession, but it is a great, memorable experience if you go and do something worthwhile.
yeah being a full-on heodnist is the dream of normies

things i learned from 3 months of lone travelling at age 18

>I can't make many jokes outside of about 2 social circles
>People who live the travel lifestyle have to tell everyone about it, despite it being "about them"
>Changes of environment will not change you unless they are truly testing
>Travellers have dead eyes, as if they need a "next buzz"
>People will romanticise drinking wine in a field
>People will romanticise poverty
>People are self conscious about not appearing as tourists, for whatever reason, despite being tourists

It's all about perspective. You don't need to hitch hike or mope around bars at 2 am to really "live".

To really live is to do the things YOU want and dream for yourself. Sometimes it's just being a stay at home mom or maintaining a large farm in upstate New York.

You really come off as arrogant and judgmental. It's not that most of the people on this board are "scared". They most likely don't have the livelihood to travel and have actual responsibilities like children. Additionaly, they don't need to travel to become better writers. They have the talent and creativity. Traveling just brings inspiration, but you can find inspiration everywhere if you know where to look.

And to answer your question yes I have "lived". Being in my early 20s I do want to go back to get my masters in Nursing, have children, start a farm, practice the arts more, and I do also want to travel more. I specially want to travel around Africa.

What Pentti Linkola talks about when he talks about his travels is what I will try my best to do from now on, that is to only go /out/, to travel by muscle (i.e. walking, bike, rowing) or wind (sailing) and actually appreciating the wonderful nature my country has left.

>I specially want to travel around Africa.
>nursing
>have children
Coal burner detected

To think that moving from one location to another will profoundly influence your thought is laughable. Socrates never left Athens.

It's a pathetic attempt to grow as a human being. Instead of thinking, contemplation and critical self-examination, which require either too much effort or is beyond their ability entirely, they choose to travel in order to get 'experience'. It's pure nonsense of course, nothing more than excuse to indulge in alcohol, drugs and partying for an extended period of time while appearing to be doing something interesting. I say this as someone who's done his fair share of traveling.

Socrates committed suicide. Yeah, great model dude.

I am extremely sensitive and observant. I've suffered a great deal throughout my life because of my stubborn loyalty to the ideals of beauty and virtue. My life, consequently, has been very eventful, even if I've made the conscious decision not to leave to home for the past several years. A profound man will experience more glory and emotional intensity by pouring a glass of semi-skimmed milk than a stolid, callous proletarian will ever experience despite living a life of novelty and wantonness.

Maybe not having a life is equally a part of this world; a symptom of it

This reads like John Green

But not before he changed the face of history forever. You're an idiot.
kys my man.

This is that 100 post user again.

Newfags, there is a poster who constantly creates really elaborate schemes to mess with people by getting them to feel sympathy for his character and then slowly dissolve into autism, it usually always begins with calling himself a genius (I've noticed this pattern) he used to joke about his 6 volume memoir or this time that he paid a publisher to publish his book and he scheduled a book signing at a barnes and noble where only his mom came and bought 3 copies of the book. He does this because he's admitted he has nothing else in life and gets some sort of pleasure out of it, anyway, he had me going for a little bit until I saw him descend into cunty autism but the nail in the coffin is this quote that he always uses when people ask to see his writing in these threads (because it's pretty good but it comes from an archived post from years ago back when warosu was up, someone else found that one out, he usually takes any written material from past critique threads but almost always this one):
>"Magnus realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense."
Anyway OP, you should really find something else to occupy your time if this is all you really have.

Update: It's the cabin guy as well.

socratic staycation master race

have fun worshiping a bourgeois debt scam

Sage!

great posts

We get it. You vape.

Is there any good argument againsts slowly strangulating every millenial alive? Can't think of any.

Of course there is. Strangling them quickly would be preferable because we would sooner be rid of them.

travelling makes me depressed

dude wasnt he a general or some shit?
didnt he fight in a war?

Yeah and Socrates never studied formal logic. I guess that's a shit way of influencing your thought.

>Socrates never left Athens.

Oh so he fought in the Peloponne sian War at Athens? What was he, one of the stolen-valour types? Did he just LARP the battle of Delium?

Don't namedrop classical figures when you don't know enough about them.

*____ ______*

>I guess that's a shit way of influencing your thought.
It is, logic is for gays and autists

>every story has to be about a grand adventure
I wish this meme would die. Literature is the best medium out there for experiencing what it is like to be inside of another person's mind. As such, it is suited just as much for small scale stories as it is for large ones. With enough perspicacity even the mundane may be rendered profound.

not when I logically prove my dick is in your mum ;)

>Socrates never studied formal logic

[Citation needed]

Also, studying is not restricted to learning it from a book. Any of the dialogues in which Socrates took part are examples of him both studying and teaching aspects of formal logic, among other things.

>Battle of Delium

You're being obtuse by taking me literally. Of course he left Athens on occasion, that's inevitable. He never dwelt anywhere else, nor did he travel to Delium for pleasure or solely for the sake of travelling, which is what OP was advocating and what I was addressing

You know it's bad form, but your post was too long; I didn't read it.

(As I type the last word of this sentence on my 1940's Corona typewriter modified as a keyboard, to the background of Tom Wait's "Downtown Train" I tipped my fedora hat, sipped my Makers Mark that I have infused with the ashes of my used cigar, and as I let the bourbon set through my stomach, reveling in my bohemian nature living the TRUE la vie bohème, in my parents house, I looked at the empty extra space in the reply field. I took another hit of my cigar as my mom asks me through the locked door with my hentai posters why I'm smoking indoors. Then I smirked. I daintily hover my index finger over the keys, and type a four letter word. One by one. This will be perfect.)

Burn.

>>Socrates never studied formal logic
>[Citation needed]

Logic hadn't been formalised yet.

>Of course he left Athens on occasion, that's inevitable. He never dwelt anywhere else, nor did he travel to Delium for pleasure or solely for the sake of travelling, which is what OP was advocating and what I was addressing
>To think that moving from one location to another will profoundly influence your thought is laughable.

His experience in the war still influenced his thought. Therefore his travel as part of the war; influenced his thought.

>Did he just LARP the battle of Delium?
kekked so hard i think i popped a rib

War influenced his thought, not the act of traveling to the war, and certainly not the act of travelling for the sake of traveling.

That poster was right, you are being obtuse just to troll.

There's nothing you can do for these people. They're only getting fooled because they want to get fooled. In reality there's nothing to be fooled by. It's just a guy making jokes.

Daily reminder that if you travel merely to fulfill your hedonism you are nothing but a filthy Epicurean swine and you're destined to burn in Hell for eternity inside a coffin

and when people "want to go travelling", they don't do it to get from X to Y but to experience things.

I'm right, you're just an idiot.

that was because the epicureans claimed the soul died with the body.

>equating epicureanism with hedonism
Fuck off, pseud.

Rolling

Nice b8 btw

this

Ugh.
Think before you post on the Internet.

This is witty criticism of Veeky Forums as a whole and this is witty criticism of op
Both true and on-spot

>I'm a girl
stopped reading there

Kierkegaard himself traveled a lot in his youth.

I think traveling is essential to develop a personality but it shouldn't stop there, of course.

>left their own country, or have only left it to holiday with family in their youth. There are people here who have not experienced a series of tumultuous relationships, people who have not hitchhiked for hundreds of miles in whatever direction suits them best that moment, people who have not found themselves drinking hard liquor with a gang of strangers at 2am in a city they can't even remember the name of.
Did edgier shit than that. NEET life is superior.

>And all this at the age of nineteen
oh my

Coming from somebody who has seen several continents, travel is good for keeping the mind fresh, but it doesn't directly translate to confidence or spirit.

I can tell you that babies learn how to regard themselves based on the way their parents look at them; even more so in the fathers case. My dad was gone when I was a child and my brain has developed with the idea that I am worthless. Soberly ogling some natural spectacle like there is deep intrinsic meaning can't replace how inferior I feel.

That guy who can't speak is likely just as smart as you. He just doesn't believe his own opinions are worth expressing. He only wants everyone to be happy and his honest feelings would bum most people out. For your sake, he acts like a child. After all that is the role people have made him play his whole life.

Going on holiday won't make you profound, but it is true not wanting to see the world and experience things is pretty pathetic.

The one guy I know who is "anti-traveling" is massive neckbeard, who also doesnt drink, has never had sex at 23, only reads manga and plays videogames all day. But of course it is easy to accuse people braver than you of doing everything that's fun for attention.

yeah what kind of trash-tier cliche bullshit is that.

leave it to a 19-year-old to romanticize drinking with strangers in shitty bars well past his bedtime.

DAE MOVING THROUGH PHYSICAL SPACE

DAE IMPAIRING BIOLOGICAL PROCESSES BY INGESTING ETHANOL

DAE ENGAGING IN NON-OFFSPRING-PRODUCING SEXUAL RELATIONSHIPS

DAE PROFOUND LIFE

yes, yes, yes, and no

>it is suited just as much for small scale stories as it is for large ones. With enough perspicacity even the mundane may be rendered profound.

This board jerks off about Ulysses so much that you'd think this would be common sentiment, yet regularly people post about how they can't be great writers because they haven't watched people starve to death in Somalia or some shit.

>but it is true not wanting to see the world and experience things is pretty pathetic.

if you like to travel that's cool. it's a healthy interest and can lead to unique and important insights. but if you can't find multiple lifetimes' worth of experience and insight where you're already located, that's kind of sad.

personally see no reason to travel although i wouldn't mind doing so.

It was true when it was possible to be an active traveler, rather than one conquered by wherever his travels lead him. There is no room left to make your own.

There are definitely two kinds of writers: experiential ones and those who live a coddled life in academia. Even if Pynchon, Rimbaud, Bolano or the millions of other writers who made a life abroad didn't necessarily write about it, their experience made their writing more interesting, they lived to be daring men. The other class amounts to writing, essentially, poetry about philosophy-- if they can even achieve a poetic voice. I think DFW described his first novel as "A conversation between Derrida and and Wittgenstein". Is that something you actually want to read?

I've had sex with three girls and been to Firenze once so I think I'm good.

I'm going to add that I quickly typed this post on my burner phone before rolling over to fucc my girlfriend in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco

How come quarter life crises make people obsessed with hiking? Seriously like half the people my age on facebook have a profile picture of them looking off into the distance on some mountain trail somewhere.

It's fun

materialistic/hedonistic lifestyles are unwholesome and unsustainable. "being one with nature" or w.e is the most obvious rejection of those materialistic ideals.

what does walking in a place have to do with that

instead of buying Jordans, the new "acceptable" form of conspicuous consumption is to use a $1000 camera to upload generic nature photos and pics of your passport to instagram.

Struggle and suffering doesn't need to be fetishized and sought out. Most people get more than enough of it in their lifetimes without trying. The fact that you view these things as an accomplishment says a lot about how little you've actually achieved.

it's a distancing of oneself from material comforts

Kierkegaard was a nu male though.

damn...

Travelling to third world countries and not doing any kind of work there is one of the most pathetic things I can think of. (at least they bit profit from your human zoo obsession I guess)

good point

>tfw never be Francis Drake