Is anybody else here experiencing a great deal of pressure as a result of being known as a "young genius" among your...

Is anybody else here experiencing a great deal of pressure as a result of being known as a "young genius" among your peers and by figures of academic authority?

It's really starting to get to me. I'm twenty years old and admittedly I have aced almost every test I ever sat (I failed my driving test miserably, but we'll talk about that another time). But I feel that as a consequence of my academic ability I am suffering, intensely I might add, from the burden of having to live up to the "genius" image and to continue outshine my peers at every opportunity. A professor at my college, who I respect a great deal and who has pretty much tutored me on a personal level since I arrived here, is already pushing to get my debut novel finished, and really it doesn't feel right. He says it's hilarious and extremely promising for my age, and when I ask what he means by "my age" he says that not once in his three decades of teaching has he come across a student so able to produce top quality work on so consistent a basis. I even had a girl pack up her things and walk out of a class in the final semester of last year after I was asked to read one of my stories. When I ran out and caught up with her she was in tears and simply explained that I made her "realize how talentless" she was in comparison. I mean, ouch.

But it's killing me, inside, to think that I will forever be unable to enjoy the simple and mundane things in life, and that I will forever be distinguished among my peers and therefore distanced from them in some way. My girlfriend tries to assure me by explaining that I have a gift and that I'd be stupid to waste it. My friends all say that they are happy for my success and excited to see what happens in my future. My parents and my teachers tell me all the time how proud they are to have a genius in their family / class, but I'm left empty, hollow, forever striving to meet some standard I know I never will, and never can.

Anybody else here feel this way?

Yeah, that's why I post on an anime board. It's the only way to cope with it.

no, i deliver and still have it in me to enjoy life

>someone says "good job, Timmy!!!"
>"im a genius and this is my misfit story"

fuck

bump

Drop out and do something unexpected. Let everyone down for a while and see if that feels better

Post the work that made the girl leave the class, or some excerpt that you think is of good quality.

Why do autismos come on here and pretend things are happening to them that they wish would actually happen to them?

>answering your own question

i don't like playing stupid

You need to work on your structure. The reader isn't going to believe the two of you ran from class when you were asked to read a story. The rest of the class would at least think you weird and autistic if not stalkerish after that, which has an obvious effect on their ability to admire you.
>pressure
whatever happened to the elan of finding complex things comprehensible and engaging that used mark genius? Oh right, they saved it for geniuses who were "geniuses" in the self esteem movement's perspective of genius. Keep in mind most of the people who think you are smart have such low standards for smart, they might as effectively say "You got most of it in the toilet bowl this time, Jimmy" with enthusiasm.
>tl;dr: your prose isn't purple enough to detract from the gaping plot holes: try the stream of consciousness cop out

I feel very uncomfortable with the idea of posting the entire text not only because it would take several posts to do so but also because I'm fairly certain someone could, if they so wished, paste certain excerpts from said text into google and discover my name and my place of study which, given the history of Veeky Forums, could well lead to some problems for myself. I will however post the first sentence if only to provide you with a glimpse of my work and to allow you an appreciation, however slight or vague, as to its quality:

>"Teddy realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense"

Naturally it took more than just that line to send her sobbing out of the room, but it was likely the first brick knocked from the proverbial wall. The story is something like three thousand words long and ends with a long passage punctuated only by commas and describing in quite heartbreaking detail the final moments of a young priest's life.

>who were "geniuses"
weren't*
obvi

Lol got me good for a while before I totally lost interest. Only got half way through your post but I think if you can't swing it with us geniuses than you may as well an Hemingway.

>tfw no gf who cries and leaves the room on hearing vapid plagiarism
;_;

i have a used ass for sale

My advice is: do all you can to be the best, and if you dont make it at least you tried. But put yourself as the judge of the results, not others. Do it for yourself, not for others, and only if you have the will to be the best. If you just want a calm and normal life than just do whatever you want and makes you happy. But if you want to be a writer than do all you can to be the number one.

That's a nice first sentence.

Stolen from Veeky Forums

It's a good thing you posted that here, because now you have to rewrite that piece of absolute refuse.
That girl must have only ever read fifty shades.

You're fucking paranoid. When you become a famous writer everyone (including Veeky Forums) will have access to your address anyhow. What the fuck are you afraid of?

>I failed my driving test miserably, but we'll talk about that another time
Pls no.

>I failed my driving test miserably, but we'll talk about that another time
You better keep your word.

You're fake. The real ruse-chan doesn't use that line anymore.

Bait or not, no, no one expects anything from me because I have a reputation for being a fuckup.

It's kinda nice in a way.

This is definitely genius bait, or a hilarious autistic fantasy.

If your novel has to do with a 20-something year old who lives in a fantasy of being burdened by an imagined genius, I'd read it. Kinda reminds me of the guy in White Noise who fantasizes about his funeral.

Thanks for the new pasta

I did that. Felt good at first but now it feels awful. Been a NEET for a year. Want to go back now at being a 'genius' again. Feels more natural to be better than your mediocre peers and get that appreciative pussy as a perk. I suck at everything i do but they think i am a genius and i just need to 'apply' myself. Why do people say that? All my friends ever in my life have acted like as if they were my mom and every step i took was a success. I hate my friends now. I hate myself. Why can't people be honest with me and tell me that i fucking suck? I want to bad at something ...please.....

then follow your deepest aspriations and dreams
and i don't mean sleeps dreams, i mean what you abosolutely love doing
and not your other "dreams" like a dumb 9-5 job or being a genius, i mean YOUR fucking dreams, the ones that people laugh and mock you for
then find you social circle, and try to grasp your one true destiny
you'll suck dick at first, but keep going and you'll git gud

This is that 100 post user again.

Newfags, there is a poster who constantly creates really elaborate schemes to mess with people by getting them to feel sympathy for his character and then slowly dissolve into autism, it usually always begins with calling himself a genius (I've noticed this pattern) he used to joke about his 6 volume memoir or this time that he paid a publisher to publish his book and he scheduled a book signing at a barnes and noble where only his mom came and bought 3 copies of the book. He does this because he's admitted he has nothing else in life and gets some sort of pleasure out of it, anyway, he had me going for a little bit until I saw him descend into cunty autism but the nail in the coffin is this quote that he always uses when people ask to see his writing in these threads (because it's pretty good but it comes from an archived post from years ago back when warosu was up, someone else found that one out, he usually takes any written material from past critique threads but almost always this one):
>"Magnus realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke he had recently heard had been told by himself, to himself, and at his own expense."
Anyway OP, you should really find something else to occupy your time if this is all you really have.

Update: It's the cabin guy as well.

Pulitzer material if it were all collated, mind you. Shitposting has been the current literary direction for over half a century.

I believe more in OP than the cardboard in critique threads.

>not once in my three decades of browsing Veeky Forums have I come across an OP so able to produce top quality bait on so consistent a basis

Can the mods please ban this shitposting? It"s incessant and destroying the board.

I know this is bait but I used to be a so-called "child prodigy". I grew up in a tiny town, spent years of my childhood going to private Gifted & Talented sessions instead of regular classes, went to college camps free of charge every summer from 3rd grade to 9th, basically was constantly told that I was some kind of genius and pressure was laid on really thick.

I never felt smarter than other people though and only wanted a normal life doing normal things without every adult in range acting like I was insanely brilliant when I wasn't. I started failing my classes on purpose just so people would leave me alone and while people originally thought I was in a "tortured genius" phase they eventually gave up and assumed that I'd lost the spark. I graduated with a 1.08 GPA, became a severe alcoholic, got divorced a few times, arrested, moved around the country a lot.

Now I'm in the middle of nowhere, have a great job as an overnight welder, and read books for my own pleasure and education when I want. I don't have any friends but my co-workers are nice and no one thinks I'm a genius or that I'm better than them, which is all I ever wanted. I'm just a normal guy who almost let the bullshit and pretentiousness ruin me.

People who think they're geniuses should get help because I'm genuinely concerned for them.

I feel this way too. I've always known I'm a piece of shit and can't do anything with my life, but because I test in the top 1% everyone enables me and lets me coast by. And then I see pretentious assholes like OP who drank the standardized testing kool-aid and suddenly think they're Jesus.

It's called being a big fish in a small pond.

bump2