Is lucid dreaming real?

Or is it just another new age brain washing agenda?

I only managed to do this twice. Your brain stays up though, which defeats the purpose of sleeping, because when you sleep, brain connections are restored. When you lucid dream, your mind stays up, therefore you will be so fucking tired afterwards. Its not worth it, and its not that special anyways.

It feels like reality - except you know you're dreaming.

Everything is more clear as if there's no visual filter or anything - for example my bad eyesight is not obvious in lucid dreams.

Its real and not hard to archieve
Only a matter of time and training. Start by writing a dream diary

I managed once. It was very pleasant in the beginning and I panicked then woke up.

I saw a car slowly driving on the sidewalk. I told to myself that it was not possible. I realized that I was in a dream. I then thought of quickly moving the environment around me while I did not move. It was exhilarating. I became aware of my "power" and it scared me.

How is it any different than fantasizing?

You see everything as if it was in front of you like in hallucinations - you can also feel objects and the fictional sun in the dream on your skin and such things - it's like complete virtual reality.

Feels way more real

this. I once realized I was in a dream because something happened that I knew was impossible. Then it turned into a lucid dream, I was aware but not in control. I got so excited I tried flying but forgot I was still inside, and ended up hurting myself pretty bad. Eventually I ended up fucking two girls at once so it was worth it.

I get it occasionally, but I always wake up immediately after I realize I'm in a dream.

I have this weird thing that I cannot run in my dreams, it's like I'm on a treadmill.
So now everytime I experience that I know that I'm in a dream.

It's kinda funny that what makes me realize I'm in a dream is the fact that I cannot run, not that there is a pack of zombies chasing me.

Which kinda sucks caus it makes me lose sleep.

When you you are fantasizing, you externalize a thought. This is not you who live the scene, you just see the scene from the outside.

In a lucid dream, you live the scene inside.

I've been lucid dreaming since I was a child. I can control the environment and give myself powers. It only gets really crazy when entities in the dream start getting the same powers and then I have to fight myself.

yeah, happenned to me about 10 times

sucked myself each time

That's gay.

can u back that up?

I've done it countless times. Astral projection might be bullshit though.

Does it actually make you more tired like says?

not those guys, but yes it has made me tired. It depends really. For example, the first time I induced a lucid dream, I woke up because I got scared of my power.

Next attempts felt weird because, as I was falling asleep and telling my mind that I was going to dream, I felt like in a trance. I could hear myself snoring, and my body moving around in bed by itself finding a comfy position, yet my mind was concious in a way. I spent that lucid dream studying for my physics class.

Another dream I recall, this one I couldnt hear myself snoring nor moving around, was an ordinary dream. I looked at the time, it was blurry. So I knew I was in a dream and took control.

All I can say is 75% of my lucid dreams, I have woken up more tired than usual. I guess it depends user.

>Is lucid dreaming real?

Yes.

It's real.
Everything feels real. Visually it can be kind of strange because everything is hyper detailed- way more so than actual reality. It's can be like you're looking at everything up close, regardless of distance. Hard to describe.
Crazy really, the brain has such an unimaginable amount of processing power. It can simultaneously create and experience a completely different world on the fly, and do all that in real time with incredible realism.
>getting tired
Haven't had this problem in my (admittedly limited) experience. If anything, I wake up feeling energized. Getting to live out your wildest dreams every night has a way of doing that.

In a psychological sense, you get more tired. When my dreams get out of control they can feel like they last hours or days, and that can be tiring.

t. someone who never had lucid dreams

dubya dubya dubuya dot cortexel dot us/awesome/uppers/Advanced_Lucid_Dreaming-The_Power_of_Supplements dot pdf

Anyone ever try to kick someones ass in a dream and it felt like your punches were the pussiest punches ever?

I've had a few naturally. I tried to learn how to do it more often. It's normal to have false awakenings when learning. You wake up, get out of bed, brush your teeth, eat breakfast, go to work and do normal daily life stuff and eventually realize hey I'm dreaming! It's also normal to get excited at this point and wake up. I got caught in a loop of false awakening, noticing the dream, getting excited by this realization and waking up to a false awakening. Must have had 600 false awakenings in 1 night. It felt like months passed or even a year. For several weeks life didn't seem real after that.

Shame you've never experienced it. I've become lucid a few times in my dreams. Sometimes the lucidity lasts a short while and I go back to the "passenger" seat of my dreams (going with whatever ridiculous thing is happening) or I'll wake myself up from the excitement.

The first time I remember becoming lucid in a dream was when I was bathing my dog and she warped sizes and went from a puppy to an adult dog. It's funny that that's what made me realize I was dreaming and not the fact that she had run away months ago :(. Fuck I miss my dog. It's real OP. Lucid dreaming is as close as you will ever get the experiencing life in no clip mode. Well apart from the inevitable full on sensory equipped VR that's gonna exist someday.

If that actually happened, awesome.

It's much more detailed. Fantasizing to lucid dreaming is what reading is to VR.

Absolute bullshit. I've had tens of lucid dreams and if anything, you feel even more rested afterwards.
Look up the dreamviews forums, there's tons of info there.

Just saying my experience pal. No need to bunch up your panties newfriend.

Yeah, time in dreams works like time in a movie. The movie may be 2 hours long but the story can cover the span of years. You can experience an entire day in a kinda montage of events and your brain can't tell the change in time so it really feels that long.
It was not a fun experience.

You need to start hitting a punching bag. The reason why you feel weak is because you don't have any memories of impact to create from. The same can be said of flying. i.e. go sky diving a few dozen times and you're mind will remember it so you can dream about flying.

Does that mean a virgin can never have a dream about sex?

Sometimes I can't sleep right and I just lay in bed having weird trippy obsessive dreamlike thoughts but its not really sleeping and I wake up tired as shit.

I only lucid dream...sometimes it's happy.. sometimes I can fly, and sometimes I'm frozen in terror of ungodly and horrible sights

They dont last long enough for this to be true.

This is because of the way your brain releases chemicals while you dream so you don't act out what you're doing in your dreams. Most people have the same issue in dreams.

If you're talking about doing this in a lucid dream, then it's a matter of what your expectations are. For example in a sexy lucid dream many people try things they know they couldn't do in real life and fail for some reason right before anything happens. They expect it's impossible, so the dream makes it impossible.
If you're lucid enough try telling your dream exactly what you want. Just shout it into the air with conviction and belief that it'll happen. The part of your brain that's observing and creating the dream will listen and make it happen.

I'm not sure if it's possible to induce it intentionally, but it's definitely real in the sense that you can experience a lucid dream.

It's happened only once to me, and it was really freaky when I discovered it. Like, I felt really... trapped. I am honestly not sure how to describe it any other way. It was like being in an alternate timeline.

>new age brain washing agenda?
lolwut?

>your mind stays up, therefore you will be so fucking tired afterwards
that's not how the brain and mind work user

>can cover the span of years
this is when shit gets brutal.
oh hai- that life you just had: a dream. try and piece what's real back together now. =]

>Must have had 600 false awakenings in 1 night. It felt like months passed or even a year. For several weeks life didn't seem real after that.
d00d- insert feels here. the worst right? literally it got to the point where i would be laying in bed open my eyes and fa.

You definitely can. Habitual reality checks and all that. I never seemed to need to though, i just started to suddenly realize that I was dreaming.

Weird feel desu

I personally have experienced and induced lucid dreaming many many times.

For me the most important factor is waking up about 1.5 hours before you normally plan, stay awake for 10 min then go back to sleep for 1.5 hours. That in combination with keeping a dream journal (that is writing in it the absolute second you wake up) is what it took for me to consistently induce lucid dreaming.

There are other tidbits and such if you're curious, but those two things were most impactful in my experience.

>another new age brain washing agenda
found the right-wingnut paranoid schizo

Howe does comparativerly low powered brain render photorealitic dreams with top notch physics engine and NPC reactivity?

What if lucid dreams aren't real at all and people are just dreaming that they're having lucid dreams

I used to have a lot of lucid dreams as a kid. Possibly connected with ADHD or mild autism.

If you focus hard on opening your eyes, you wake up. Once I had really shitty lucid dream so I wondered what happens when you kill yourself in your dream and turns out that wakes you up too.

I started lucid dreaming as a child because I was suffering from nightmares and they are a really good tool to stop them. It sucks the first times though.

They are. A funny thing is that you can lucid dream frequently, but you don't remember your dreams, so that sucks.

It's real. I won't bother with links because I don't give a fuck. But I had it like 20 years ago when I was a teen, for about a year. Back then I didn't even have a name for it, learned that much later.

Take my word for it or not, I don't really care. It's literally like dreaming, except that you're aware that you're dreaming. So you can control the dream any which way you like, or just do your home work while you sleep, or listen to the show your parents are watching downstairs, while gaining all the benefits of a long night's sleep.

Never once had it after that though, so I don't much care for it anymore.

Shit
That explains why I came before anything happened when I had a conscious wet dream.

Happens to me because I've never been in a fight.

When I was a virgin I would always wake up when trying to have sex with a girl. Then I lost it, was incredibly disappointed and I have disappointing sex in my dreams (not all of them lucid) because I know it's nothing to look forward to.

So how does one really go about consistently getting lucid dreams?

Idk i have just had them fairly consistently all my life. I suppose it's genetic because my twin brother gets them regularly as well.

not really, though lucids occur in REM sleep and you are more likely to become lucid if you are somewhat close to your waking state.

was super into it for a while, hundreds of recorded lucids. there's a big spectrum of lucid dreams, from blurry unstable ones where you just kinda know your dreaming, to crystal clear , clearer than waking life, long meaningful experiences I don't even like calling "dreams".
my abilities also varied greatly.. from barely being able to move, to being able to do anything - fly, grow to giant size, go to specific places, summon people, transfer consciousness to another dream character.

there are a handful of techniques, check out dream views if you want. sadly the best lucid dreaming site self destructed about 4 years ago.

Lucid dreaming is very attainable for most with a little work . most people have to start recording their dreams to have long, memorable lucids. once you journal and develop recall and consciously think about lucid dreaming on a daily basis (it helps to be on a forum), you may have one just from that.
or there's other techniques - reality checks - as often as possible ask yourself if you are dreaming. ask seriously. a lot of people plug their nose and try to nose breath. In a dream, you can still breath.
Identify dreamsigns - things that happen more when you dream and when you see them, know you are dreaming or do a reality check.
When your doing this stuff, the best chance at a lucid is to wake up an for at least half an hour about 2 hours before you need to be up. do something engaging with your mind, then fall think about lucid dreams (set your intent) as you fall back asleep. you wantto be up enough that you can barely fall back asleep.
Once your a practicing lucid dreamer, you can get lucid like this more often than not.
That the most straight forward, entry level way of lucid dreaming, there are others. I found things really took off for me when I read books on the subject. Its a way of thinking about dreams for a long time. then your sleeping mind will be more likely to be thinking about dreams (remember, we often do the same shit we do when awake when dreaming. thats the whole basis).
Laberge is kind of the founding father of modern lucid dreaming, and he was the one who scientifically established it as a real phenomena (through an interesting experiment). his books are great

No it doesn't make you tired - you actually wake up more satisfied, if you done what you wanted in a dream or solved your daily problems in that dream - we have some great literature authors that used lucid dreaming to figure out scene and characters for their works an example that comes to mind right now is Wizard Stories of Oz

You just have to realise you are dreaming without waking up. that's how i do it.

But how is it some of you guys have a lot of controll over your lucid dreams? I'm really struggling to even move properly let alone interact with other things.

Only time i had real lucid dreams was when I was in a familiar place and noticed paradoxical things - such as a train leaving station while I was relaxing in bed ( yea I dreamt about relaxing in bed lmao ) - then I suddenly asked myself am I dreaming? And after some odd vibrations, and colors going fast over I had total control.

practice and you will naturally gain control. control varies greatly dream to dream

You guys should take Trazadone. Fucks up your dreams enough so you know that you're dreaming so you can lucid dream more.

t. frogposter

I use to get it to work by keeping a journal and counting my fingers constantly during the day. If you do a simple task repeatedly during the day (counting your fingers on your hand every 20-30 mins or so) you end up doing it in your dream out of habit.

The moment you try to count your fingers in your dream, you count more than five and then you're lucid. you always have weird finger counts in dreams, it's one of those things that's common to everyone, like electronic clocks never showing the same time.

I had it to a point where I was lucid dreaming every 3 days or so. I was young back then and my testosterone levels being what they were, most of them ended up in rape. woops.

Weirdest thing to happen is when I came to while having a conversation with a girl in a cafe and immediately told her she wasn't real, just a figment of my imagination. Her and everyone else in the cafe suddenly stopped talking to me and stared at me with a look of pure hate and aggression. It was like my mind was recoiling from me breaking the illusion and actively despised me for it. I was legitimately scared during it.

Lucid dreaming is lots of fun and not that hard, i really recommend it. Also, going through doors while thinking of a place will bring you there after a few tries. Mirrors in dream act like in horror movies. Fun stuff.

>tfw had a lucid dream years ago and cannot replicate the experience

I blame uni tbqh