Will interstellar travel ever be possible? Is this planet the only one we will ever have?

Will interstellar travel ever be possible? Is this planet the only one we will ever have?

No
Yes

Yes
Meaningless question because we don't "have" this planet, we just live on it.
In elaboration, interstellar travel is possible however all feasible forms of it involve timescales which very few if any people will find satisfactory, especially if they were asked to pay for it.
As to other planets, we have already proven that with decades old technology and some creativity we have already been able to send humans to another planet and bring them back alive. It isn't implausible at all that within the next couple centuries we could establish semi-permanent bases on the Moon or Mars. Space stations will always be easier, but if humans have proven anything it's that we don't shirk exploration just because it's difficult.

>Will interstellar travel ever be possible?

It will be possible but not for carbon based life. Artificial metallic life (AI nanobots) will experience this tho.

Is there anything in the works right now that can help us live long enough to make it to another solar system?

>Will interstellar travel ever be possible? Is this planet the only one we will ever have?

That depends entirely upon YOU, human.

Ayylmao pls gib tell us how 2 b gud

Interstellar travel IS possible, but because mass can not travel at the speed of light (as far as we know) it would be impossible to visit any habitable planets besides mars

1: make either a digital copy of our consciousness, or a brain-machine interface to put our head into an immortal body (which also sustains the brain somehow), or discover the sekrit to immortality

2: send out a shitload of drone ships to search galaxy

3: go to new planet, which is ideally the same as earth or more probably similar to earth but not as good

Incorrect.
Humans CAN travel at the speed of light, but the acceleration must be gradual.

> humans CAN travel at the speed of light

At least at the moment we don't have the physics, nor does it look like we'll discover it soon, which would enable us to make interstellar travels.

Why searching for habitable planets when we will be robots ? It's useless

>What is time dilation

no, and it never will be because you didn't vote for it

a meme

>I derived the acceleration formula in special relativity wrongly - the post

>interstellar travel AND time travel at same time
It's a dream.

Yeah but the voyage will take quite a few generations growing up on the ship
>Is this planet the only one we will ever have?
No, living on Mars is actually quite easy

This desu

What about the Alcubierre Drive.
Is it our last hope?
Or is it just BS?

>Yeah but the voyage will take quite a few generations growing up on the ship
We just need to find a way to get really close to the speed of light. Then it can be done in a lot shorter timeframe (for the travellers, anyway).

It's been mathematically proven but we need exotic matter to make it work

Yes and no.

Simplest way is to instead of focusing R&D on trying to bend relativity with slipstream, warp drives and wormholes to start up we can just use much, MUCH simpler sub-light drives such as Nuclear Pulse Propulsion, magnetic coil plasma nozzles or Bussard Drives to achive some 50%-80% of lightspeed. Then we develop either cryogenic suspension or mind-upload tech and simply sleep during the trip.

Using that method Humanity can create a small, about 100 ly wide empire and THEN we can focus on superlumial drives.

Here is my opinion on this topic. Me and a friend have talked about this.

Meaning: "Inter-" of means "Between" and "-stellar" means star. So in between stars.

So now we get to the first question: will interstellar travel become possible? Honestly, I say yes. It has been mathematically proven, but we just need a way to get over. I don't see any way with our current fuel sources that we could travel to vast distances. We would need solar energy. So by that, we would need to have a huge solar sail to propel, say, a ship full of people to far distances. Now, this would obviously take an extremely large amount of time. With our current technology, I don't think we could do it. But possibly in the future we could.

Second question: Is this our only planet? For now it is. We don't have, as I stated before, the technology yet to travel. Kepler-69c is a planet in the Kepler system This planet is 2,700 light years away from Earth. This makes it so we, as of now, can't get there. Hopefully in the future our technology will be advanced enough that, with the help of a ship with renewable resources and energy (i.e. solar power), we could get there. The first generation obviously would not be able to get there in a normal life span, so we would need to repopulate.

Edit:

"..Kepler system. This planet.."

Edit 2:

Yes, Alcubierre Drive could be a solution. Obviously this is just a concept, and hasn't yet been able to be done (of course.)

Maybe

>Is this planet the only one we will ever have?
Very, very likely. You may discover a planet with some of earth's traits, but it's extremely likely that there's something toxic about it. Terraforming is complete bullshit, we can't change anything about a planet on that scale, especially not remotely. People should stop trying to escape in the fantasy that one day our presence on other planets will ever be established. We have this one planet, and repairing this one is a LOT easier than repairing a different one, and we can't even manage that. We will visit Mars one day, but our existence on those distant worlds will be very, very fragile.

What man-made machine will ever achieve the complete perfection of even the goose's wing?

عباس بن فرناس Abbas Ibn Firnas, 852 —

I don't believe it will happen in our lifetime, but it takes a lot of hubris to declare that it will never happen.

It's already possible. We have the technology to build and send off a "generation ship" that would get to Alpha Centauri within 100 years or so, and via this method we could spread across the galaxy in a few hundred million years, the blink of an eye in cosmological terms.

>Sand nigger actually saying something philosophical and deep

It's a shame fundamentalist islam took over. Arabs used to be bros when it came to science.

But yeah. Not in our lifetimes but it will happen.