TL;DR: I work an awful grocery store job that leaves me physically and mentally exhausted...

TL;DR: I work an awful grocery store job that leaves me physically and mentally exhausted. I'm starting College soon and need money. Is waiting/serving a good fit? I have no prior experience other than the 1 year of customer service from my grocery job

right now I work at a grocery store making $9.50, soon to be $10 an hour. The job is grueling, with non-stop 10 hour shifts, no breaks, no benefits, no flexibility, and my position is dead-end.
It's so grueling that every day I get home I'm so physically and mentally exhausted that I can barely stand, let alone think. I wind up just falling asleep for a few hours straight.
this is a problem as I'm starting College in a few weeks' time.

I'm seriously considering switching to being a waiter/server. I live in a Florida resort town so I doubt finding a job would be too difficult. I have no experience as a server, but the grocery store job has given me experience with customer service.

How much do you guys make? I bring home roughly $260-280 weekly. My mom told me she brought home what I make in a week every night during busy nights.

Is the workload alright for someone going to college?

I'm mostly worried about carrying trays of food and dropping them

pic somewhat related

You're going to get a variety of answers, mate.

People who are majoring in EE/CPE/CS/SE will typically get an internship during their second year that pays like 3-7K per month.

People are majoring in IT/Customer Service will probably make like 15.

You should post your City, State and major.

Sarasota, Florida.
I'm starting at a CC so right now my major is "Network Systems Technology". I'm not 100% retarded and I can figure out math, I'll start at a uni and get a degree in CompSci.

>I'm not retarded
IF I'm not retarded

not looking bright for me huh

Yeah so they might hire you as an IT intern if you can show them you are currently enrolled in such a field.

You're looking at the $15-$20/hr range depending on what position you get. Usually, their schedules are a bit flexible.

You can work at a fast food joint in the meantime while you're looking for IT jobs.

imho would take job at dog kennel

When I was in university I did beta testing for a games developer for $8 an hour in early 2000's how the fuck is it 2016 and you're making only $1.50-$2.00 more now? Fucking hell, we really fucked you kids over.

I'm a bar supervisor in a busy venue with a restaurant attached. I'd be happy to answer any of your questions regarding what it's like to work in the industry. I will say that most of the bar staff and about 1/2 the floor staff that we employ are full time students and that working in the evenings and nights is more comparable with studying than most retail jobs.

also are male or female? If you're getting into this for the tips this will be important

Waiting is something that can get you a lot of money, but if you plan on doing this, you need to search around. Obviously you should go where you get hired, but you should apply to restaurants in your area that are independent/not chains (i.e. not fucking Friday's, unless that's the only bar in your area that gets business). I work in a restaurant that's busy all year, with a bar outside open for the summer. I don't even serve at the place or bartend and I've made thousands just working two days a week, over this amount of time.

>mentally exhausted
Have fun failing

>right now I work at a grocery store making $9.50, soon to be $10 an hour

FUCK YOU I WORKED AT A GROCERY STORE AND MADE 7.50 AN HOUR REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

seriously though get out and do literally fucking anything else

Security, 570 a week

I sit in my car and shitpost on Veeky Forums

>sit in my car

At that wage, I suspect that's your home, too.

>le ebin rich meme

Naw hoss i got a small apartment with reduced rent cause i do some work for the landlord. Building up my portfolio and ira check by check. I mostly eat beans and rice with some bacon fat and hotsauce though so you got me there.

In a good place you will make more if you're good at getting tips. Not much better working conditions but possibility of better money.

LOL grocery store around here pays $13/hr. Thinking about applying cause despite my M.Sci. I don't even make that much :'(

Fucking Saudi Arabia.

I have found that being exposed to loooooong hours of high pace drudgery without meaningful human interaction to be extremely depressing and mentally exhausting.
Being stuck in a job like that while trying to make ends meet will make it very hard to develop oneself.

So yeah...

Gotcha. You're doing it right, then. Try to stay out of debt and work your money as best you can. Live frugally for a few years, build up enough savings that you can become more selective on what you're doing with your life. Good on ya'.

First, you need to be relatively good looking or have a good personality. Second, find a decent spot that will get you good tips. Go to an "industry night" at a bar in your area and ask some people. Servers are generally pretty cool and will share good info with you. Third, work towards a bartender job. They make WAY more in tips. My big-tittied GF used to make three figures when she was like 20 just slinging drinks and wearing low cut tops.

This mans a liar trust nothing he says

OP, similar situation with me also. I just got a job as a dishwasher and also I wait tables. I'm gonna go back to school for a CS in summer. I advise you to Google restaurants in your area that has good reviews and is busy. Onyour off day, go to the restaurants dressed professionally and ask for the manager. Introduce yourself and hand him her the resume. Tell them that you're a hard worker and you want to work as a waiter. Most of the time the manager will give you the position.

The grass always seems greener on the other side but it never is unless you move upward. Don't move laterally into another job. Leverage your experience to get better pay and hours or more responsibility.

Since you are going to college, look for a job that will augment your intended major at all costs. Look for part time jobs so that you can devote time to your major. Get acceptable grades because those asian shut-ins you compete with undoubtedly will. Attempt to make influential contacts or develop meaningful relationships with supervisors. It is horse shit, but these relationships can be used for recommendations and entry level career positions in the future.

Try to find meaning in performing work to the best of your ability. Take pride in doing your work even though others might scoff at your job title. Take note of your failures and struggle attain your goal.