Well ?

Well ?

Well yes, quite obviously. The guy here is just being a dick on purpose. If he would just tell the password everyone would live happily ever after.

But what if the password guys family is held hostage and if he tells the password, they will slowly torture and kill his family.

If I put him in front of the tracks with the rest of the people will I be justified in giving those people justice for the exact same thing he's doing to them?

do a 360 and walk away

best to stop caring and just detach yourself from earthly things

I think u mean 180

Well then it's either

(A): Torture a man with your own hands, and indirectly get a woman and her children tortured to death as well, in order to save the lives of 30 people. If the guy doesn't die from your torturing him, the rest of his life would be completely miserable and he'd probably want to hunt you down for revenge.

(B): Let 30 people die a terrifying, bloody, but painless death, to save a man and his family from being tortured to death.

I'd go with A desu

I sense that bait.

>don't pull the lever
>a manlet is born

Lesser of the two evils desu.

Don't you fucking touch it mang

Can the trolley even run through 30 people

Based on the distance, there wouldn't be enought speed to kill more then one for sure

No, you can't torture him. While it would be immoral to place those people in the trolley's path, you didn't do it and bear no responsibility for any harm which comes to them even if you could prevent it. Torturing the chap though you would be responsible for. Therefore you mustn't torture him.

The funny thing is that in reality torture is a really shitty way to gather information because you have no guarantee for them telling the truth. The only use you really find for torture is when you want to sentence someone for a crime but you need to have them admit doing it to save face regardless whether they committed a crime or not.
Of course, in this situation you will quickly find out when you input a code and it doesn't work. The thing is, do you have the time to do it a second or a third time?

Chicken game and you don't pull

stinks of reddit tqbh.

>implying property exists
>implying any man can do anything to the earth that would make it more his than anyone else's

stop observing the trolley and by quantum mechanics it'll go through all three paths at once

Yes. He know what he's doing.

Lets model it.

The left letter will be the red guy and the right letter will be the blue guy. (talking about their moves)

the moves will be pull and nothing.

nothing nothing: 5 points
nothing pull: 5 points + blue death
pull nothing: 5 points + red death
pull pull: 4 points

It would be fun to optimize for most killings and least killings but here you have an interest in your own life.

Suppose you pull, the other person can either pull or not pull. If he pulls then you are alright but if he doesn't you die.

On the other hand, you never die if you just do nothing.

If you do nothing and the other guy pulls then you will 8 people but you are still alive.

Therefore nothing dominates pulling but unfortunately it isn't pareto efficient but you can't always be perfect.

As in most things in life, the best choice is to not do anything.

If you do not care for life then you also do nothing because then you kill at least 5 people but you can upgrade that to 8 if your partner chooses to pull, believing you are a good person and will also pull.

There you get 8 points and get a high score in the local arcade.

(nothing.nothing) will always happen, assuming rational players.

The only ethical decision is to move the lever randomly and let the unlucky ones die

Just put him in with all the people that are about to die.

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

>bear no responsibility for any harm which comes to them even if you could prevent it.
Not a med student I hope. Read up some ethics.

Who said I was trained to operate the lever when there are people on the tracks?

>Justified

What do you mean, justified by whom? It surely would feel justified to the people tied to the track, unless they were very highly 'spiritual' or somesuch.

Justified by you? Then you say so, or not.

Justified by some natural law, or god? Sorry, that kind of judgement or justification doesn't exist.

Mankind has developed various systems of ethics which may all have something different to say about OP's quandry. It doesn't make any of them 'right'. It only says something about who we are trying to be as a species.

There is no ultimate arbiter of 'justification'. You act according to your beliefs and values and live with the consequences.