Bookshelf thread

Didn't see one in the catalog, so can we get one of these going? Rate, h8, rec, compliment, shitpost, whatever. How's my shelf look?

Are you 12?

Babby's first bookshelf.

Your bookshelf tells me you have nothing worth contributing and you bring down the average quality of users.

not op but dune, tolkien, and lovecraft are great
dude's just really into fantasy

These threads bring down the average quality of the board.

>lit
>having ANY quality

you must be really dumb to think this board have anything good to offer

Protip: find a religion and stick with it, user.

It's just bait from reddit. Literally every bookshelf has the same infantile shit

My religion is chaos magick/my own experiences

Why are you incapable of a proper camera shot?

Because my computer desk is in the way. You can see the corner of it in the lower left.

I am going to paraphrase a comment I saw posted in response to this copy-past since one good turn deserves another:

"Well, those are at least the books I would expect someone with that bookshelf to have"

English & Dutch overflow

>Be gentle please.

French section hiding in the hallway.

hey fellow taschen user. anything new recently?

English section is a beautiful dimorphism between shit, self-help (me thinks) and corereads.
Now the French section is better, mais il y a des choses pas terribles
>Tournier
>Pas le medianoche amoureux
>Ou est Moliere
>Le naturalisme est mort

Literature has nothing to offer you, burn all your books or give them to charity, you have no business in Veeky Forums.

>this is the average Veeky Forums poster
I remember when people had at least 1 or 2 good books.
Also
>german
>not having Mein Kampf
Untermensch

you've done nothing but prove how new you are.

these bait shelves have been posted for months on end.

kill yourself.

retard

On the Taschen front, only Rauch. Cheated on them with teNeues, Brazil is a great photography book from Olaf Heine, really stark images in part due to Niemeyer's flowing modernism.

Could be worse I guess, there's just 2/3 books self help, all from a housemate who moved out a while ago.
French section is mostly from those bouquinistes on the Seine, wish we had those in Ams, their stock is good and cheap.

That much is true about french literature, any book 3 euros, you end up taking 30 of those bad boys

>Fagles
>not Fitzgerald

>not Lattimore

>not the original Greek

>not travelling back in time to hear it told verbally

I guess I well post mine again.

kekd you got me there

ugh you don't even read.

>not travelling back to be the one who tells it

This is the only way I could make it work on my phone.

your philosophy is solid
your fiction is mediocre to pleb

I can live with that I dont really care for fiction much.

I understand, but take a look from this perspective, you are eating burgers, and by the same price you could be eating a french cuisine. Plus it has to do with philosophy. Even if you don't care, try thinking that you could be enjoying a whole fucking lot fiction rather than a passive reading

>reading past god emperor
>fagles instead of lattimore
>burtons 1001 nights

mama mia!

I tend to stray from penguin editions of ancient texts, but that's still among the best ranges of ancient world content I've seen on this board. Not comprehensive, but a decent selection undeniably beyond entry level "start with the greeks" shit. What are the loebs?

PS If you like Roman history at all ready Livy. Not as good a historian as Tacitus, but way more fun.

>shitting on a translation when that poster has almost certainly read more ancient content than you
Let's see your impressive Greek/Roman collection faggot

i'm on a business trip right now, or i would.

i actually own fagles too, i got lattimore afterwards.

i've read nearly all of these ancient works you have on your shelf. where's your bacchae?

convinient

That's not my shelf above but as for my Bacchae see pic related and lick my balls

thought you were the other user, suck my dick

>convenient
what are you, like fucking 13? i have a job.

>agreed
>I'll get to it eventually
>don't really care

I agree, the penguin editions are just what the used book stores around me have. For my money oxford classics are the best 95% of the time. I have livy's early history someplace. The loebs are the golden ass, epic fragments, and a sampler.

It's modest.

i lol'd

Based desu

Get on my level what reading level is that you pedo

This is one of the most pathetic exchanges I've seen on Veeky Forums

>not Fabled Lands

I don't keep my books. Most of them are from the library, the ones I buy I give away. I almost never re-read books, so why waste a whole shelf? Moving with all those books must be a nightmare, too.

It's nice decoration for a room, for one thing.

I live in a bad neighborhood, and a shelf full of books is good protection from small caliber bullets

It's not really a nightmare. I've done it three times so far, planning to do it once more by the end of the year. I've got ~1300 books and they aren't half as frustrating to move as a mattress and box spring are.

Rate my overcrowded tiny bookshelf

They look unread

Most have been read. I did buy quite a few recently though. Even the ones I haven't read probably have been before since I buy most of my books used

luna get out

summer

Also kill yourself faggot

NO

these are the people ruining our board

not much has changed since the last shelf thread, but might as well post. Thinking about re arranging and getting rid of some stuff
The back row on both shelves is all Warhammer 40k books

That's fucking gay.

I own an e reader :^)

Read something longer than 400 pages you pleb. Time to read some real nigga books my friend.

Had to edit some photos cause this is 4chab after all

if you post this again ill beat up your dad

PKD, Harlan Ellison, H.G. Wells and Yevgeny Zamyatin are all good, too.

>Things Fall Apart
>On the Road by Jack Kerouac
>all that George Orwell

These don't seem like much worth reading, since their main value is showing the historical setting that spawned them, and aren't much in an artistic sense, so you would learn more by just taking a history class on that setting.

I do like all that Steinbeck though, he's very attached to the setting he lived in, but he actually has a decent writing style. Are you from California?

Not Californian, just like Steinbeck a lot
Also interesting you should say that about those books, I pretty much read Things Fall Apart because of the setting. I did like it and the rest of the African trilogy. Honestly I never finished On the Road. I really like Orwell's non fiction desu

chill down dude. the entire point of bookshelf threads is to post your bookshelf

Sperged out and reorganized alphabetically

1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4

Like a whole bunch of shitty fantasy and scifi?

Can someone please tell me where to get these editions of the tragedies and The history of the decline and fall.

You should probably try reading Orwell instead of dismissing him because he's popular.

Tolkein is 'great,' Dune is alright, lovecraft is overrated as fuck.

/subjectiveopinion

I don't think you should get those tragedies, they use capital sigma Σ instead of E. You'd look like a total doofus to anyone who knew the greek alphabet.

I definitely recommend learning attic greek if you have the time. I haven't read as much as you, but what I have read I've read in Greek. I can't imagine that the plays really translate that well, nor Plato really.

Love the Aquinas and Augustine (Augustine's latin is stupid easy if you are interested).

Can confirm, eating baguette and camembert, 3 euros total. Even cheaper for reblochon.

Could have had burger at Mcdo for same price.

That's clearly not sigma though it's just a jagged looking E

Nah, it's a sigma. See pic.

ok but it's still an E and I like the spine better regardless so is there anywhere I can cop or not?

>Norton Shakespeare.

Good lad.

> lovecraft is overrated as fuck.
He can be rated high either for good or for horrible reasons, so I guess you're right.

Nonetheless he is a legit author to like as long as you don't like him for "lol cthulhu so dark xd"

One can only dream.

Lol you've got about as much Redwall as i do

1/5

2/5
Dark knight strikes again is the only logical conclusion to literature desu

3/5