Reading the Iliad but it's so fucking boring. Have you read it?

Reading the Iliad but it's so fucking boring. Have you read it?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegreatcourses.com/courses/iliad-of-homer.html).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What translation are you reading? It better be Pope.

Keep in mind it was made when there like like, no action movies, so long descriptions of dudes fighting as the most exciting thing they had back then. It's really not worth bothering with now.

Reading a Finnish translation.

Yeah it was the first work of fiction I'd ever read of my own will

I love it

The Death of Patroklus is still one of my favourite events in literature

but sure, I did get bored at times; try taking a break, don't force yourself through it. Read it out loud if you can as well.

Padroglos :DDDD

o fugg Agillees, I ded :DDD

>reading in Finnish
>but u can't even finish

What is particularly boring to you? How many books are you into it?

>The Death of Patroklus

Thanks for the spoilers bud. No point me reading it now.

agagemegmon gib me bag my daughter!! :DDDDDDDDDDD

no :DDDDDDDD

Much more fun

I'm also currently reading it- just finished book 7. I'm loving it.

Yes and it was one of the best and most exciting books I've ever read.

(Fagles translation)

Really? The Iliad is honor, glory, guts and gore. An action movie with beautiful prose and epic monologues. I read it knowing already how it went down (thanks ninth grade spanish teacher) but I still loved it all the way through. Maybe read some stuff you like a bit more and then try jumping into it. Sometimes you aren't ready.

>be me
>never read iliad
>buy iliad
>start reading
>confused as fuck
>go online
>fucking Jove is Zeus
>Mars is Aeris
>Ulysses is Odysseus

Fuck me, did i get the wrong translation?

Greek vs Roman names, it doesn't matter

Darn nigger read Edith Hamilton Mythology, but I see no reason why one should be so ignorant of the Greeks

>read the Iliad
>the whole book is niggas getting speared
Good shit senpai

The list of ships in the beginning and the action sequences with all the nobodies getting killed are a bit boring, but as a whole the Iliad is a lot of fun.

What, question, prose or verse?
My version in verse totally different than that

Idk if it had to do with my translation, but the same descriptions of things were used repeatedly, and it got rather boring. For.example: And there was a rattling as his armor fell to the ground. Or: And the darkness of death fell over his eyes.

Also the among of nobodies and the number of countries, fathers, etc. To remember was annoying.

Overall 5/10,

could you tell meI swear the version in verse that I have is fantastic

you don't have to remember them you autist

I no longer have my copy, but the cover looked.like this and it was The Iliad and The Odyssey as one book. It says the publisher is Sterling. Who translated your copy?

Mine is in Spanish, yet it remains an incredible translation.

Iliad Ruben Bonifaz Nuno
Bibliotheca Scriptorvm Greacorvm et Romanorvm Mexicana

It's in verse and respecting the Homeric form of perfect hexameters, esthetic forces and moral plus side to side with the Greek text

Yes and you're a huge faggot. I read the Iliad and the Odyssey in my 11th year of high school for class you fucking irredeemable worthless weeaboo. I want to fucking kill you.

Three times.

It's anything but boring. Don't just read through the words but imagine it as you go along.

Maybe you should try googling some of the history as you go along, gods or terms or maps. Or supplement with an academic source like this Great Courses lecture series (thegreatcourses.com/courses/iliad-of-homer.html).

But whatever you do, don't give up. It's worth chipping away at until you get access.

Pic related
I've always wanted to presume my gear on lit

How difficult would it be for a nonnative Spanish speaker? I've studied about a year now and have read two YA novels in Spanish. I wouldn't mind giving your version a shot.

There will be a lot of words you will be stuck on, but have a dictionary, and you'll be fine, plus at the end of it you'll be fluent, seeif you can get to read something

Don't read the Iliad; just skip to the Odyssey.

Don't read; just skip to killing yourself

A girl with good tits told me to read the Lattimore translation first. Should I listen to her?

Yeah

user, pls

honestly? I read that shit + odyssey just to say that I've done it and because everyone kept saying that knowing these was important for understanding greek philosophers, whom I do respect and consider important to study

never felt like it was important, really. that Mythology book was ~enough background information, Iliad/Odyssey was just boring shit that left me with nothing.

I hate fiction in general tho, its always a chore to read, some fiction is important enough

I read it twice and loved it both times. People who think it's boring aren't going to make it sorry bud

im on my first read through, book twenty two, it's like a fucking action movie bruh bruh, akhilleus is going to spear the shit out of everyone and after reading it im going to make darkness come over all your eyes as your armor clangs against your chests plebs.

Fitzgerald translation master race here.

i've read it three times in different translations. the first read was boring as fuck. the second and third reads were boring, too, but less so because i was focusing on the differences between the translations more than on the story.

Never read the Iliad was boring as fuck
I don't know how you make gods, monsters, and warfare unexciting but the author succeeded

*the Odyssey was boring as fuck Jesus christ

yeah the gods are cool and all but what about all these fuckin' ships, bro?

try 'war music' by christopher logue.

read beowulf

>people have no imaginations.

just read it in the original language.
you get to enjoy it as intended, and also get to learn a new language to shitpost in.

I came here to say this

The fuck you mean, user?

>it was the first work of fiction I'd ever read of my own will
So you actually did start with the Greeks. Impressive.

not him but..a-anons don't do this? did i get meme'd on?

go back to your anime

Yes, you did. Nobody actually starts with the Greeks.

I did, I found everything I've read by them pretty interesting so far.

agreed, idk how people find Iliad boring, it's intense af at some points. but diff people have diff tastes i suppose. I hope the Odyssey is just as good or better.

The Odyssey's got less violence but it's got a sick ass bum fight.

For me the Odyssey was just a guy wandering around sleeping with random women while his wife waits at home fending off suitors to stay loyal to odysseus. Oh yeah, his men die along the way but it never really bothered me. He just kind of aimlessly wanders while hoping to return home by chance.

you might want to work on your reading comprehension if that's what you got from reading the odyssey.

The Iliad is the greatest artistic achievement ever produced. Please try to appreciate it more

>Kanye West is the greatest artistic achievement ever produced

ftfy

I don't like the translation I'm reading, it's so old. Could try reading it in English, what's the recommended translation?

>"user you don't agree with me that must mean ur bad at reading dur hur"
Well I'll be fucked if I'm allowed to have a goddamn opinion
The Odyssey was dull to say the least, but definitely made worse by the fact that I had to read it for school. It could also have been the translation that I used maybe, but the entirety of the book just felt like pointless wandering and vague descriptions of what should have been fantastical settings and creatures

>what's the recommended translation?
i have the fitzgerald translation, his iliad is great imo, heard good things about lattimore too. fagles looks to pleb-e to me.

>The Iliad
>prose
what the FUCK?
>all opinions are equal
>***I*** thought the Odyssey was shit
Holy shit man nobody cares. If any work of fiction is objectively good it's Homer's Odyssey. Literally thousands of years of human thought says it's a pretty damn good poem. Why do you think your shitty, uninformed opinion matters to anyone? Fucking read it again. In a good translation. And if you still find it "dull" consider that maybe you aren't smarter than everyone else in the history of western thought.

Oh shit, we've got an edgelord over here proclaiming that his opinion is superior to everyone's because it's what all the "sophisticated" people believe. Newsflash: no one's giving you props for pretending like you matter.
The Odyssey is enjoyable to some, but not to all, like all works of fiction. It's like your opinions on books don't hinge on your intelligence or something revolutionary like that. Sorry the world doesn't fit your narrow preconceptions kiddo, better luck next time. And maybe next time you can consider different people like different things without automatically assuming that means they're below you like a total faggot.

>And if you still find it "dull" consider that maybe you aren't smarter than everyone else in the history of western thought.

Kek'd

Spoiler, mars died at the end of disk 1

(Iliad is better than oddessy desu)

Why were there so many references to lions

>Have you read it?
Yes, it was very good

Go fuck yourself /mu/.

It's now "pretentious" to like The Odyssey.
It's now "pretentious" to consider other viewpoints

I mean are you a solipsist or just a run of the mill relativist? Either way, how can you possibly criticise sometime for having an opinion (the opinion being that it's stupid to proclaim The Odyssey is not very good)?

Your argument is self defeating. You are protecting your contrarian pretense. The "edgy" position is to not respect thousands of years of literary tradition and to consider only your own limited experience.

>he admits he was reading a bad translation
>he admits he was biased by having to read it for school
>but he still tries to act like his finding it boring is a legitimate position that needs to be respected

>tfw when I literally just finished the Iliad and thoroughly enjoyed it
>tfw when I see this thread

I skipped the catalogue of ships but other than that I enjoyed it very much.

Yep, people are more ignorant and more slowly paced than you. Get used to it, the entire world is fucking retarded.

The only part of the Iliad that is shitty is the gathering of the heroes and ships. It's just an endless list of shit for pages and pages, and I've read was only included for shout out to the audience purposes but can't confirm as not thousands of years old.

It's probably the greatest work of literature in history.

Achilles' killing spree is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever read. When he kills the surrendering Lycaon, fuck.

She looks like a cute larvae. I hope the aliens turn out to look like her.

just between you and me, OP, I mostly skim read the greek and roman classics

i thought patroklos' last stand was more fun desu

up until that point i was thinking "alright, this is ok"

but then after i read that i became convinced that the iliad was definitely among the greats

Odyssey >>>>> Iliad

Skip Homer. Read the Aeneid. Fagles translation.

Who here just reads books mainly to either strike it off a list or learn something (ususally from nonfiction). I don't even remember the last time I actually enjoyed reading a book. But I continued either because I wanted to learn or because I wanted to strike it off the list. None of the books I've read after highschool has entertained me as did the young fiction novels I used to read. Why?

I'm in a different kind of boat. Most of the time, a book is hard for me to start. But in almost 100% of the cases, once the book kicks off, I really enjoy it (sometimes it kicks off from the beginning). I've had this feeling with movies, video games and other stuff too. It's probably normal to not start loving something a lot until certain things in it are established, but it was always weird to me how much it happened to me. Then there's stuff which pulls me in from the very beginning. Is actually that the only stuff I genuinely like?
Since some time I've began to doubt whether or not I really love something. It's really weird.

>tfw own the wordsworth version with the muscly cosplay man on the cover

is that version actually okay to read or should I just get rid of it and get a better one?