What was the last book you read and how do you rate it?

What was the last book you read and how do you rate it?

Very nice picture OP.

Last book I read was the Aeneid, the Fagles translation, and I found it a little dry after reading Fitzgerald's Iliad and the Odyssey.

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood. It's difficult for me to rate since horror isn't my type of thing. I loved the personification of the Central European landscape in the first half but the supernatural elements felt a bit sloppy and poorly executed. It failed to create a cohesively immersive experience due to how unrelated all the oddities the characters experienced were. The strongest aspect of the book was the sense of isolation that the characters experienced and the hopeless struggle against a vast wilderness.

Just read The Long Goodbye again. What can I say? It's very good. Wish the would make a tv show out of Chandlers novels.

The Invention of the Jewish People. Mindblowing.

Laneya is a sexy little girl

10:10
10/10

Going clear

9/10

It's an exaustive report, but it frequently shoves aside details for sake of narrative, ex: when describing the E-meter it puts the actual nature of the machine in a footnote at the end of the chapter

Death of Napolean 8/10
Birchwood 7/10
The Land Breakers 6/10
Waiting for Godot 9/10
Under the Volcano 9/10
Zeno's Conscience 8.5/10
Dubliners 8.5/10

Had to catch up lads. Carry on

Sorry to autist, but do you mean 'the last book I completed' or 'the last book from which I read'?

"The Stranger" is 6/10

It should always be the same, unless you're a crusty pleb.

Stumbled on Death of Napoleon in a bookstore, didn't buy it but have been considering doing so.

Would you recommend it? I love Napoleon but am not huge on historical fiction.

Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar I gave it 5 stars.

Rayuela

8/10

impulse by dr david lewis

nice summary of recent scientific discoveries concerning human nature and behaviour. strong argument against the illusion of free will. a light read

Diary of Anne Frank - 14/88

Mouth breathers! Close them before flies hatch eggs in them! Are you unaware of the dangers of mouth breathing? Gingivitis, gingival enlargement, dental plaque, long face syndrome? Close them now!

>Penguin edition of Chekhov's later stories, the one with "The Lady and the Little Dog" in it

Eh, a lot of good stuff, but I can't say I really get it. This was the first Chekhov that I ever read. I felt like a lot of the stories blended together in my head due to similar structures and themes. And the endings seemed anti-climactic, not in a way that felt deliberate (like it was supposed to make me reconsider the story or anything), but in an "oh shit, that's it over?" sense. I've heard enough people that I trust call Chekhov a great writer, that I suspect I'm the one that's missing something. If there are any Chekhov fans in this thread, I'd like to hear what it is that you got out of him that you couldn't get out of any other short story writer, cuz I genuinely want to know what it is that I'm missing out on.

Junky

6/10

Siddhartha

Best book I ever read, everyone should read it.

Man's Fate by Andre Malraux 6.5/10
Maybe I'm reading too many French novelists this year, but I'm getting really sick of French novelists philosophizing at great length.

Some great elements in the book about the Shanghai massacre of 1927. About three quarters of it are seen from the perspective of Europeans or a half French/half Japanese communist leader. That's a weakness in a book about a Chinese civil war. But he does portray the characters and what they want and what their strategies are pretty convincing.

The Jungle
7/10 til the ending

The Plague by Albert Camus, I realized only after that I had chosen perhaps the worst translation possible. Regardless, 8/10. Great portrayal of how people react to crisis.

What translation?

I would agree Siddhartha is fantastic, and would recommend it to anyone, but Hesse has at least five books better than it. Steppenwolf, Demian, Narcissus and Goldmund, Beneath the Wheel, and Magister Ludi are all better (that's everything I've read of his).

Stoner, and it sucked. He didn't even get stoned.

Poopmeister

10/10

Reminds me of OP pic related getting off young people very nice and good only plebs hate on such pics

I've read the good books like all of you I know all of you read Infinity Jest and me too very good all of you and me patricians we know the real law good picture good fetish fuck the women not real people only for the pleasure

Materialism is the only truth we all know this as anonymous as legion and we never forget I also post on /tv/ like all of you remember this

Very good, very healthy always know that we're the smart ones all of you and that none of you are retarded

It's true not a single one of you are actually retardedly dumb and the idiots don't forget about the true knowledge known in us the anonymous internet posters

The internet makes us smart and we're all very good don't ever forget about things like the OP and this thread very good all the time nothing wrong only smart and genious

You're all very smart I really believe this and always think of it, all of you are VERY intelligent it's always very clear everyone knows the names of intelligent books and very obviously everyone has read them I mean nobody anonymous lies we believe in the truth and justice we all know that we all read these very good books

Ulysses read it just like all of you, cakewalk very easy for us intelligence types and the Wake piece of cake we're all very smart

Don't forget that you're all VERY SMART it is a 100% true fact that all of you are better than the fish met everyday without a doubt the women and the dumb guys all of you are highly intelligent due to Veeky Forums a very unique place completely different than all of the Internet really original and smart

Don't forget about the sheep not reading the smart things only the highschool core

Harry Lotter? Pooped it out me ass if I wanted we all could've writed it easy and we all now this just the one that was lucky and of course a cunt all cunts have it so easy never any problems fuck all of them

Come on where the smart ? Literal it is just posting come on you can do it show it off say "I've read IJ now I'm very smart" and be serious because none of anonymous lies and who lied about book reading anyway? The dumb ones very dumb not like us