Obama's Summer reading list

whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/08/12/presidents-summer-reading-list

>More like President of United Pleb.

Other urls found in this thread:

politico.com/blogs/politico44/2012/01/obama-blames-press-for-his-cold-and-aloof-image-111489
baka.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/what-will-our-politicians-be-reading-and-watching-over-the-summer-break-20151211-gll4j1.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

h for hawk is a good pick

You know these are carefully selected by advisors to be as inoffensive as possible and to appeal to the maximum number of people? Think about how bad Obama would get bullied if he had Pinecone on there

so you're saying we need to hack the presidential kindle? i bet it's all YA

Why would he get bullied for that ? Pinecone isn't very offensive.

Considering he gets bullied for being too cold and academic already, I can't imagine what a Pinecone and Gaddis reading list would do to him.

"Girl on the Train" plz it's just so the peasants feel validated in their shit taste

I bet Obama jacks off to Gaddis like the rest of us

There are people who think of Obama as "cold and academic" ? He's the opposite of that.

Wasn't Obama's poetry in college pretty decent?

George W. Bush has read all of Tom Wolfe.

He certainly doesn't have the GWB warmth unless you watch the Correspondents' Dinner or something.

politico.com/blogs/politico44/2012/01/obama-blames-press-for-his-cold-and-aloof-image-111489

no blood meridian?

Should have read The Art of War, would have made for some nice headlines

Interesting

Should of read Flan O Connor's The Artificial Nigger. Am I right? I feel bad now.

>when your retarded uncle posts this picture to facebook, even though he has never read a scholarly work not by Bill O'Reilley

Do you think he reads them? Why's it 5 each time? Why would he have a summer reading list if he doesn't have summer vacation? Does he only read 5 books a year?

Irl he is exactly that

>I haven’t read “The Waste Land” for a year, and I never did bother to check all the footnotes. But I will hazard these statements—Eliot contains the same ecstatic vision which runs from Münzer to Yeats. However, he retains a grounding in the social reality/order of his time.

>Facing what he perceives as a choice between ecstatic chaos and lifeless mechanistic order, he accedes to maintaining a separation of asexual purity and brutal sexual reality. And he wears a stoical face before this. Read his essay on Tradition and the Individual Talent, as well as Four Quartets, when he’s less concerned with depicting moribund Europe, to catch a sense of what I speak.

>Remember how I said there’s a certain kind of conservatism which I respect more than bourgeois liberalism—Eliot is of this type. Of course, the dichotomy he maintains is reactionary, but it’s due to a deep fatalism, not ignorance. (Counter him with Yeats or Pound, who, arising from the same milieu, opted to support Hitler and Mussolini.)

>And this fatalism is born out of the relation between fertility and death, which I touched on in my last letter—life feeds on itself. A fatalism I share with the western tradition at times. You seem surprised at Eliot’s irreconcilable ambivalence; don’t you share this ambivalence yourself, Alex?

Just like other brilliant powerful men, he probably reads a great deal (although the pressure of the job probably weighs down on him).

This kind of list is purely to encourage literacy. HS teachers will show this to their classes, and maybe one more kid will read H is for Hawk. Zuckerberg is just as guilty.

This was written by Obongo ? What the fuck ?

It's hard to imagine these words belonging to Obama, they sound so much more pointed.

Do you seriously think that he's dumb?

wtf i like obama now

I love Obama now

You realize how much of the president's job is dumbing down his image to appear relatable? Even GWB wasn't as dumb as he seemed.

Obama is a brilliant man. He is first and foremost a politician and brings his rhetoric down to the level of the hand wringing liberal arts educated state school plebs that voted him in.

I have no doubt he can be quite erudite, no Harvard constitutional law professor is going to speak all folksy like he does. Same goes for George W., a carefully crafted personna to attract dumb southerners.

B-but he said "food on your family" c-clearly he's s-stupid also he started a war :o

No, but I never thought of him as someone who cares about art. Or anything.

people who hate (or love) obama (or anyone) because of clickbait articles and soundbites that contradict their positions are pitiful

He wrote that letter in his 20s anyways. I doubt he spends much time thinking about Eliot these days.

>realizing politicians weren't soulless robots for the first time
It freaked me the fuck out when I saw a teacher outside of school for the first time; how's third grade going for you?

Politicians are soulless robots, though. It's just weird to imagine Obama back when he had a soul.

Politicians are just extensions of the common denominator, if Obama seems soulless then it's because the majority of Americans are soulless and uncultured too

This is so incredibly dumb and naive. I know a few politicians, and they're significanctly more interesting than the average person.

oh wow, poor guy. he could have just kept reading poetry. what does that to a soul?

??? He's the most important person on the planet. I'm sure he'd read more if he had the time.

I would dearly like to sit across from george w or obama with some nuts and vodka and get their honest opinions.

but he has no poetry any more. ;_; it is like being king midas; every piece of gold but never any love

Politicians differ from the population in that they deliberately try to emulate them while not actually being genuinely an average citizen. Doing this to the extent that a president does requires the complete destruction of the individual's personality and soul.

>Doing this to the extent that a president does requires the complete destruction of the individual's personality and soul.

I read the first chapter, the writing style is awful. Fucking garbage book desu

IIRC George Dubya's favourite book is on record as being The Stranger. Mind you, I suppose with him making him appear folksy wasn't an issue and maybe they'd want to give him a touch of the intellectual.

Shooting an Arab, though...

wtf is it with Americans and needing to know every single detail about their politicians lives?

I have NO idea what my prime minister reads. fuck, i don't know who his wife is, if he even has children, etc. and this isn't me being ignorant and not reading the news, it just isn't covered here because why the fuck would we care as long as he does his job and is good at it?

this is really fucking weird you guys, hope you know that.

>Americans

First of all, very few Americans read outside of a white elite, the urban student body, and a few million suburban moms.

Second of all, this is basically a blog post by a white house intern, a fluff piece for aforementioned moms. I guarantee this summer Obama is reading non-fiction or security reports.

Third of all, I picked a random PM (Turnbull) and found a flood of similar puff pieces:

baka.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/what-will-our-politicians-be-reading-and-watching-over-the-summer-break-20151211-gll4j1.html

You anglos are all the same

"The moon blew up with no warning and with no apparent reason."

>no apparent reason

>only 5 books
is he a pleb?

i want to see this side of trump

that's just politics. no one is going to speak like an academic when they're seeking mass appeal.

he cant share all the marxist/muslim literature he's reading