Why did roast swan go out of style as a traditional Christmas dish? It was considered a popular delicacy for centuries...

Why did roast swan go out of style as a traditional Christmas dish? It was considered a popular delicacy for centuries, and then suddenly it vanished from most Christmas menus.

>swan
You were thinking of goose

Turkey became more popular than fattier birds because it's less of a disgusting disaster when cooked by a dumb person, it just comes out dry and bland instead of greasy and vomit inducing

I am very much thinking of swan, though it's true that geese have also gone out of style as Christmas dinners.

In any case, a swan is basically a long-necked goose for culinary purposes.

Because swans are hard to find and they're mean cunts when you do find one

>ck's_earliest_troll.jpg

Autism was alive and kicking in the 19th century.

Here in the UK, swans are property of the Queen and it was considered treason to kill one until 1998. You now need a license to kill or catch them.

Hunting regulations are certainly a factor, but even in areas where swan-hunting is perfectly legal and not any more onerous than other forms of bird-hunting, swans don't seem particularly popular as a culinary item. Ducks and geese remain, by far, the biggest targets.

farmers were sick of getting broken arms, so they switched to turkeys.

I've read that swan organs (and not just the meats) are a lot more tasty and rich than turkey organs, and were prized by chefs for that reason in various recipes.

I suspect this is true. We had a mute swan show up at the pond in our backyard and that thing was vicious. I'd be mowing the lawn and that fucker would attack me. I had to carry a large stick and go full samurai on him. I read where they've killed children in europe. Someone, I don't know who (wink, wink), finally shot it.

what is whited brown paper?
Is that the old way of saying parchment paper?

imho would feed to dog

They still hunt them in some parts of germany, heard they're delicious tho

Can't you just boot the thing

I've heard about people trying to catch them only to have an arm or something else broken by a single flap of its wings.

Thats an old wives tale, Swans are vicious cunts but they are still birds and that means light, hollow bones.

Paper is brown normally, it's bleached or the color is changed somehow to get it white.

If you notice, it's got a rhyme to it. The intention here was for you to memorize it then recite it vocally. Oral memorization is a big thing in human history.

I suspect people realised Chicken/turkey/pheasant/quail/duck was better, or as some other user said, swan became unavailable and when it was back on the menu, people didn't want it anymore.

I've never heard of anyone eating swan, but goose is certainly traditional in many parts of Europe.

I'm living in the US right now but my family still does a roast goose for Christmas eve. I've never had any problem finding them in American supermarkets. They're in the frozen section right next to the ducks and turkeys.

There's at least 50 swans in a lake near my home, do you think they would be tasty? I can probably "find a dead one" and roast it. they're close to the city though, might be dirty.

Given that we anons know nothing about the "lake near your home" I'm not sure how we are supposed to give you a good answer.

>just boot it

No. They have very powerful wings that can cause noticeable damage. They're much bigger and stronger than geese.

is this a recipe or a fucking riddle?

There is no way a swan can break your arm. It's a bullshit myth - sprain a child's wrist at most if it grabbed its wing or something.

They do however drown swimming dogs