Are brussel sprouts being bad still a meme? Because they're great

Are brussel sprouts being bad still a meme? Because they're great

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I swear the only people don't like them is because they have mothers that boil the shit out of them and serve them as bitter mush.

They're delicious when not demolished by an inept or disinterested cook.

>mothers that boil the shit out of them and serve them as bitter mush; inept, disinterested

yeah, that's just about what I experienced growing up (use a pressure cooker and then drown them in lemon juice - it wasn't good at all)

It's only working class children who still think that sprouts are disgusting. Their experience with sprouts may have lead to they disliking them because their parents do not know how to cook a vegetable and have it retain some nutrients.

Baked with blue cheese is excellent
Boil them 10 min to remove bitterness and prevent farts

This so much!

I despised broccoli too for the same reason. I recently showed my mother the correct method. She agrees they were terrible in comparison.

Boil until nearly cooked through, then cut in half and put in a pan with fried bacon or chorizo, spices and fry until just crisp. Lovely

That's me.
All I know them to taste of is bittery socks mixed with asshole.

Finally, after all the bitching someone actually posted a way to make 'em taste nice

Most of my experiences with them have been bad, as other anons have said

Only way to rid ourselves of these bad habits is to spread better ways of cooking like user did

>is x a meme

Enough child

I just love them, bit they cost a lot here.

Cut in quarters, put in a pan with a little of butter and a bit of garlic. Dice the pancetta and add it to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook until the sprout is still bright green, crunchy but with that amazing smoke-y flavour.

You don't add any water at all? Sounds extremely crunchy to me.

You can add some water if you want. I add very little water, since I personally love 'em very crunchy, almost raw-ish. But yeah, you can do it.

I usually drop them in with the carrots and potatoes when making a roast.
They soak up the fats that drop down and end up great.

Microwaved with seasoning and butter
Steamed
Baked and Broiled

They are wonderful.

I've never had bad brussels unless they were undercooked. they taste and smell fucking amazing roasted in an oven with just salt and olive oil.

>all my life my mom cooks brussels sproutz properly by roasting them in the oven or sauteeing them in a pan
>go to girlfriend's grandmother's house for Christmas dinner
>"Oh user, I hope you like Brussels sprouts! No one else here likes them!"
>everyone gives me a look like I've just been asked to scrub the inside of a septic tank
>"Oh I love Brussels sprouts!"
>she takes me to a pot on the stove
>inside, a mound of green-gray, shriveled and half disintegrated sprouts give off the smell of rotten leaves in the gutter
>"Oh..."
>"Give me your plate! I'll load ya up!"
>"N-n-not too many please, I filled up on bread"
>she puts about a pound of these on my plate
>they taste exactly how they smell and have the texture of stewed eyeballs
>literally swallowing them whole with sips of water
>somehow survive
>---NEXT CHRISTMAS---
>"Oh user! Look! I made your favourite! Only you and I seem to like em!"

I've never encountered a food which can be SO fucking awful in one preparation and so incredible in another.

Listen. I have always liked pretty much all vegetables except for brussels sprouts, even when "cooked properly" there's just this awful rancid taste I can't get past - turns out there's probably a gene for it just like cilantro
theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene

A few weeks ago I posted a picture of my dinner at Golden Corral and was ridiculed for eating brussels sprouts. Fuck all you fagets

>he eats a Golden Corral

You deserved every last bit of that ridicule you hick. As if Golden Corral is doing anything but boiling up some frozen sprouts.

Brussel sprouts are slightly bitter, and this bitterness is enhanced when they are prepared badly. Add in mushiness when they're overcooked and its very kid-unfriendly. Adults can appreciate the taste, especially when it is paired with other flavors, but children have undeveloped palates and often react poorly to them

Oh thank god, a brussel sprouts thread.

I want to cook these for christmas dinner, do you guys think these would go good if i steamed them first, then fried them in butter garlic and diced bacon? I want to make them interesting, as in not just pan fried or steamed brussel sprouts. What would you recommend?

Shit im sorry i should have read the thread first instead of letting my boner take over and post first. Gonna try
Sounds fucking delicious. Thanks for the tip

Honestly I think sprouts being bad has become a self-perpetuating thing. People 'dislike them' because they feel they're supposed to an d want to fit in.

Turn out there's a genetic component to tasting the bitterness.

20 some genes affect it, if you've enough active, sprouts become nearly inedible as the body will think it poison.

they are gross

ya because you got half a plate of them like 10 times you cuck, you dont go to golden coral an get 1 thing only

Now cilantro I can't stand

>Boiled

Opinion disregarded.

they're soooo goood. i love them dry roasted with garlic, onions, and mushrooms.. then a dash of oil and balsamic over rice. literally the tits

bad = boiled
good = roasted
2+2 math

Never fails to make me laugh

I don't care how good they taste, they smell like farts while they're cooking.

fry them in some butter and garlic and when they brown up put them in a bowl sprinkle with some parmesan cheese and some balsamic vinegar over it and nom away.

Cut them in half, then steam them instead of boiling them. Don't overcook them. Green is still good, but if they turn olive drab you've gone too far.

Serve with salt and a little butter or margarine--or a little drizzle of olive oil.

Meanwhile these same people will down 5 liters of coca-cola a day and their body will not only think its fine but actively crave it right into diabetes.

>saute them in a bit of oil
>add a bit of garlic salt and Parmesan
Simple and quite tasty.

I'm in for a little crunch but damn you eating the thing practically raw.

At least steam or blanch them first

I'm actually happy with them simply steamed.

The post-war British(ish) parents whose answer to the question of "What's for dinner" was to boil or broil the ever loving piss out of everything has caused this particular piece of memetics to be forever branded into the annals of caucasian history.

fun fact: brussel sprout is Belgish for "tiny cabbage"

is that what is normally done? ive made them a couple times and just cut em up and threw em in a pan with some oil and it took forever to cook em. by the time they were soft the outside was all burnt and they were really bitter.

gonna try blanching before sauteing next time i guess

for the record, whats the proper way of blanching? (explain it like im 5 yrs old)

I hate cabbage but I love Brussel sprouts.

Boil them for a short amount of time. Then shock them with cold water.

Times really depend on the type & size veggie. For medium sprouts i'd suggest like 4-5 minutes but that's just my personal taste.

Sample texture before you take them out.

>take brusseles sprounts
>remove stem
>cut in half
>toss in olive oil, salt, pepper
>roast in oven until cooked
>toss with Parmesan
>eat

Any other preparation is inferior

I have always liked brussels sprouts.

I would patronize a fast food restaurant that served a side dish of steamed brussels sprouts in a paper cup instead of fried potatoes.

I hope my mum makes some with cheese sauce like she usually does for Christmas

Yeah man

>Place sprouts in medium size saute pan with some water, then cover with lid
>Let steam until al dente
>Uncover and pour out any remaining water
>Toss in some butter, sage, and pancetta
>Add a squeeze of lemon juice
>Saute until pancetta is cooked and sprouts are caramelized
>Top with some finely grated asiago
>PROFIT

I went to a burger place that had them cut in half and lightly fried.

Fucking amazing.

Yes boiled

Afterwards you let them steam out for a bit.
Some salt, butter and nutmeg = 10/10 sprouts

I will try these recipes, thanks guys

Not the same experience but similar.

>Be me, hitting it off with a girl.
>Fly half the continent to her graduation.
>Family is welcoming as fuck, lets me stay in the house.
>There is this fat goth fuck who is looming around.
>Wave it off, and ask if I can make dinner.
>Chicken breast, pine nuts, asparagus, and some hard goat cheese.
>Family loves it, mom is almost beside herself that I am helping clean up after my work.
>Chubs just grunts.
>Turns out, he was her boyfriend.
>I spent 35 bucks on this fat fuck and he insults my fucking cooking.

>sous vide for an hour with some olive oil and salt
>throw in hot cast iron and stick under the broiler
>toss in a vinaigrette

10/10

I do this, but I steam them in the microwave rather than boil them and I fry them with diced onion and garlic. Pretty nice desu.

You tried to cuck a fatty and failed.

>cut in half
>add olive oil, salt n pepper to a pan
>arrange them on the cold pan
>place lid, cook for 15 on med flame
>remove lid and cook on high flame till charred
>add Parmesan and enjoy

It's an actual, real, meme, not just a shitty internet meme.

Plenty of movies and TV shows had made jokes about kids not liking brussel sprouts, which did have a basis in bad mothers just lazily boiling them into mushy crap. Hardly the fault of the sprouts and rather the poor skill of the cook.

Halve them, toss in olive oil with some seasoning, and oven roast them.
Short boil in salted water, skewered, and grill while basting with a sauce.
Quarter, pan fry with other stuff.

Here's how I cook them:
-Half sprouts lengthwise
-Pour olive oil in pan with two cloves garlic
-Bring to shimmer, add sprouts face down
-Fry covered until caramelized (crispy on the face, tender on the outside
-squirt some lemon juice over them

God tier. Everybody loves these when I make them.

Marc Bittmans brussel sprouts with bacon and figs are fucking delicious! Those three ingriedients! Google for preparation. I eat them with mashed potatoes. Try it out, it's so easy

Every time I see this pic I think she has "TLC" tattooed on her fivearm and on her head. It's not until like the fourth image I realize it's the channel logo.

I just mix together some melted coconut oil, smoked paprika, garlic/onion powder, salt and pepper, then put it in a container with halved brussel sprouts and toss it around until they're all coated. Lay on a baking sheet and bake at 350 until golden brown.

It's really not hard to make them, I don't know how all our mothers fucked it up that badly.

You flew half across a continent and hadn't even asked her if she had a boyfriend? How fucking stupid are you? Jesus, merry Christmas retard.

I like em with gravy. Otherwise they're not really anything.

Didn't know about the boyfriend until I got there.

Right, that was my exact point genius. You really aren't too bright.

they just taste like broccoli to me, except they smell bad

i've been laughing for about 5 minutes over how dumb and naive and clueless and retarded you are, thanks so much for writing that. :D

Cabbage for smol-bois

I did manage to steal one of her pairs of panties.

Show with timestamp.

I never liked brussel sprouts until I found a recipe that made them awesome. It called for caramelized onion, crushed garlic, roasted pepper, and lots of bacon.

Then I realized that if I added anything to that combo it would taste awesome. So I grabbed some cat turds out of the litter box and prepared them the same way and there was NO difference.

Ergo, caramelized onion, crushed garlic pepper, and lots of bacon are awesome and brussel sprouts are equivalent to cat shit.

You eat shit, you post shit, you are shit. End your shit life.

I eat them with bacon for breakfast sometimes alongside a bowl of cheese grits (steam them ~10 minutes, then take them to the frying pan with the bacon).

Or for dinner, roasted alongside some meat and rice.

All these b sprout preparations sound great, but honestly, I just steam them for like five minutes and find them delicious. I have them with every meal.

We grow them in the garden, like most other veggies. The smaller ones taste a lot better and cook easier imo, but in general they're best if you can harvest them before the first frost. The frost seems to add to the bitterness. Do recommend trying to grow them at least once. I'm not a huge fan of the grocery store Brussel sprouts. Always too bitter.

Little bit of olive oil and salt, roast, tasty tasty.

We grow a lot in our garden. Cabbages of several varieties turn out great. But when we've tried brussels sprouts, we cannot get them to form tight heads for the life of us. What are we doing wrong?

Probably soil quality user.
Dig in more mulch.

Forgive me, I'm not really a professional. It could be the soil, as another user said. From what I know they grow better in a bit higher pH level.

Outside of that, it's typically the temperature in which they mature. If its hot weather when they mature, or if you are unlucky and have too warm of a fall, they will not grow tight heads. So depending on where you live, you may want to plant slightly later in the year.

They taste pretty good to me, but I'll give steaming them first a try.

Oh wow, this guy is totally elite! Please tell us about your katana collection too!

I've seen an exotic vegetable in my local supermarket that's like a brussels sprout but some of them are almost a foot across, no kidding! I can't remember the name for them, though.

It's amazing what they can get nowadays, isn't it?

Has anyone else ever seen these? Does anyone know what they're called, or have recipes for them?

That's a cute cabbage.

That sounds like a dank breffast

Did them this way at christmas dinner, they were absolutely delicious. Thanks for the suggestion user. Merry christmas

brussel sprouts, garlic, thyme, a little rosemary, a little honey, olive oil, shredded purple cabbage and chopped roasted chestnuts in a pan for a few minutes is absolutely delicious.

>brussel sprouts with a slight slither of butter melted on top

Fucking heaven.

>currently roasting brussels sprouts for momofuku's fish sauce vinaigrette brussels sprouts with shichimi togarashi rice krispies for christmas dinner
>see this thread

Feels good not to care about "food memes".

retarded and creepy

Oh the lucky lady that meets you.