Is america really that sugar addicted? Any american imports just taste of diabetes and even the bread has sugar in it

Is america really that sugar addicted? Any american imports just taste of diabetes and even the bread has sugar in it
Plus everyone seems to drink soda 24/7
Is this a meme or is it actually like that in reality

>even the bread has sugar in it
A teaspoon in the water to activate the yeast is normal.

>According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, one slice of commercially prepared white bread has 1.4 grams of sugar.

Amerifag here, I can confirm although the overweightness here mostly isn't 400 whale tier it's more like fat but not cringworthy level

American bread seems to taste sweet tho

It's weird tbqhwyf

But why?

Sure. But a lot of american bread has waaay more than that.

We're not talking about homemade bread or good stuff from a bakery, we're talking about the crap in a bag at the supermarket.

that's cocaine

Because if the corporate Jews put sugar in things then the fat of our population start to buy that instead of other brands and they make money

Of course it is, hence the "addiction" reference.

No they have a corn addiction.

Didn't have any sugar related images on my phone

>put sugar in things

lol you wish

The goyim don't deserve real sugar; it's HFCS for you. Think of the poor corn farmers user!

I've heard sugar can be a good preservative, which for packaged bread, can make a fair bit of sense, if the producers and retailers want longer shelf life, then that could make sense.

It doesn't make any sense at all. There are other chemicals added to packaged bread which are faaaaar more effective preservatives than sugar is.

>meme=untrue
Get out, newfag.

I noticed when I visited the states how sweet everything was, including things you normally wouldn't expect to be (too) sweet eg bread, tea, coffee, salads, "savoury" sauces. I imagine if you ate those things sweet everyday you'd get used to it and even expect it, but it tastes very strange coming from a different culture.

More like "meme=exaggerated or over-hyped"

....which pisses me off because that's not the actual meaning of the word, but that's sure what people seem to think it means around this shithole.

Just look at the ingredients. Most commercial bread in US have corn syrup in them. Once I realized that I just said "fuck this" and now I have 3 sacks of rice in my home.

also this thread:

O B S E S S I O N

Have you also noticed a sharp decline in 400 pounders over the last 5 years or so? I see almost zero men above maybe 300 pounds these days as well as many many couples where the man looks 100 pounds lighter than the woman. If it's also like that in your region what do you think is the explanation for this phenomenon

Yeah, it perfectly coincides with the growth of home-delivery services for groceries. The megafatties are at home, waiting for the Wal-Mart van to bring them their cases of sodas & stacks of TV dinners.

But how can you be sure the rice isn't coated in HFCS?

If you chew on bread for a while, your spit starts to break down the complex carbs into sugar and it'll stay to taste sweet. For some reason this happens extra quickly with white bread.

OBSESSED
BSESSEDO
SESSEDOB
ESSEDOBS
SSEDOBSE
SEDOBSES
EDOBSESS
DOBSESSE

I did this, too. But I just learned to bake bread. And no, I don't add sugar or any other sweetener.

Looks like a bag of coke

White bread is trash even by American standards, I only use it for French toast

That's right, I don't know.

Really made me think thank you so much.

Well, I wouldn't say "addicted", it's really not our fault producers throw sugar in everything, like bread. I think that if we all became more aware and producers stopped adding corn syrup to everything, we would have no problem going without the sugar.

I do think there are a lot of Americans that are addicted to soda, though.

Also, be aware that any imports you get from America are bound to be generic, cheap crap we buy here and thus tend to be low quality and have a ton of sweeteners in it. And most bread does not have a crazy amount of sugar, but cheap mass produced white bread does.

As some one who was prescribed a sugar free diet, I can tell you how incredibly difficult it is to find anything other than produce that is not loaded with sugar

Rice is incredibly high in starch so your body converts it to glucose very quickly, ive read consuming rice often, doubles your chances of developing diabetes.

Bread is all carbs and will just get turned into sugar, you can actually get diabetes if you eat alot of bread even if its not sweet.

Yes, although we also have concentrated corn syrup which is even worse, which is just another type of sugar.

It not the crippling mess you see in pics, but honestly I think many could drop 30 ~ 50 lbs if they cut this junk out (I know I did, lost even more when I started workingout).

Part of the problem is it is very hard to avoid. I literally have to go to to specialty stores to find some foods that don't add this stuff, and pay a lot more. And even at these places half the stuff just uses raw sugar cane or some other type of sugar.

And once you get use to eating this stuff, eating anything else tastes really bad and some people I know have shown withdraw symptoms.

Thus it is really hard to avoid even if you want to. And many I talk with sadly think it is mostly hype.

Try kings hawaiin bread

Don't worry, I'm Asian. We don't get diabetes.

Hourly obsession thread?

who /ezekiel/ here?

I've always wanted to live in America, if I have access to a proper bakery, I could go and buy nice fresh bread not loaded down with loads of sugar or corn syrup, right?

Yeah, definitely.

>Part of the problem is it is very hard to avoid.

No, it's very easy to avoid. Cook from scratch. Any supermarket has pic related, and there's no added sugar.

Of course. And most supermarkets have in-house bakeries that make just that.

It's the bagged bread on the supermarket isles that you want to avoid.

No sugar, just pesticides, and GMOs, and hormones, and antibodies, and weird preservatives

Q______Q

I had a cucumber today that was really waxy, I think they coat it to keep it fresh or something. probably could have put it in by butt pretty easily

>pesticides
Not a problem.

>and GMOs
Not a problem either, people fear what they don't understand.

>and hormones
>and antibodies
>and weird preservatives
Possible concerns, but depends on what you buy.

No it is not. There are enough carbs in the flour to feed the yeast.

Actual American here.

I use to only drink mountain dew for like four years in high school. Regularly ate >3000 calories a day. When I was like ten I ate a whole bag of microwaved buttered popcorn everyday for about three or four months (It was the kind that comes with a bag of "pour over" butter that you put on your popcorn after you make it to make it more like popcorn from a movie theater). I would eat hand fulls of cookies at a time and lots of chips and debbies. Also giant plates of spaghetti.

I never got above two-hundred pounds in high school, but when I went to college I went up to like 230.

Lately been watching my weight by counting calories and I'm under 200 right now.

I don't look very fat though.

Your metabolism must be crazy.

Euro in USica here.
My home country drinks about a third the soda what the US currently does. And, according to what I've read, the US per capita consumption has dropped by 20 litres since 2012, so I think the regular fizzy-drinkers are either dying out and/or drinking less of the stuff now than they used to.
I've noticed that few Americans of our age and younger drink soda routinely and I expect this trend to continue.
As for bread, not all pre-packaged bread sold in the US has added sugar. I'd venture to say that not many do. Maybe it's just because of muh euro tastes, but I have three different prepackaged breads in my house. You know the type: plastic bag with slices of baked wheat foam in it? That. I just checked the ingredients list of all three and only one has added sugar and it's in the "less than 2%" part of the list.

However, sugar is an ingredient added to many other products Americans eat. Canned/jarred tomato sauce, for example.

Going with the whole Jew thing ITT, challah is better for French Toast than is white. Barring that, potato bread and Texas Toast are tied at a distant second to challah.

I looked for corn syrup in the ingredients and none of the three have that, either. Maybe I'm just buying better bread than you guys? The three I have are generic white bread, generic rye bread and a loaf of "Italian" bread that's just white bread with a slightly more open crumb structure.

>needing a seafaring vessel to do your grocery shopping

The main problem is that people don't actually understand a lot about pesticides and how they work, decay, why they are legal, ETC... Most people just go "WELL IT'S A CHEMICAL SO IT'S BAD FOR YOU!" and stop right there.

Similar thing with GMOs. Hormones and antibodies can have bad effects on people and ecosystems though, and that is better documented and has harder science behind it.

Sugar is just a scapegoat for the diabetes and obesity epidemic. The entire world drinks tons of soda and consumes tasty sweet treats. The only difference is that most Americans don't get any exercise or are too lazy to count calories.

Most food in the world isn't loaded with sugar, though, that's the thing. Europoors save the sweet stuff for dessert while Americans pretty much eat dessert three meals a day.

Another American here. Almost same deal growing up.
I'm at 190 now and still losing weight. Eating healthy is pretty easy when you're a shut-in and can control exactly what foods are in your home.

Most of the time if you're buying tomato sauce in a jar it's going to be some sort of marinara or other red sauce for pasta. Even if one was going to make it at home it'd have sugar in the recipe.

>Buying pre-packaged bread from a grocery store

You dense motherfuckers

Yeast cannot digest starch. It has to be autolyzed into sugar by an enzyme not found in wheat. If your bread flour is mixed with barley, it'll do fine by itself, but otherwise you need sugar.

Nah look at the levels of calories exercise burns off compared to the calories in sugar
The whole reason we're attractrd to sugar is bioavailable calorie density

Passata + black pepper and basil are your friend
Fantastic on it's own and add spices to taste to fit almost anything
I like to add chiante and chilli

This can't be accurate. I get fine double rises using 25% whole wheat and 75% all purpose adding only 1 tsp active dry yeast per 1.25 lbs flour or for my sourdough bread my home cultured starter without the use of any sugars. When I cultured my starter from scratch and feed it after using some, there's a lot of activity and I never added any sugars to it, either.

Sugar is not added to tomato sauces traditionally. I don't know why Italoamericans started doing it that way, but it's done only very, very rarely in Italy. I can recall only once growing up that my mother did that and that was only 2 dessert spoons (I think that's 1tbsp US) for 2-3 litres of sauce.

There are only two cases I can see someone adding sugar:
1) because they don't take the time to caramelise onions or reduce wine
2) the tomatoes aren't the right sort for sauce

Besides genuinely preferring the taste of sugary sauce, are there other reasons? Not baiting here. Genuinely curious if there are other reasons to add sugar that I'm not considering because I've never seen it done in Italy save that one time.

>2) the tomatoes aren't the right sort for sauce

That's the reason it's commonly done. Supermarket tomatoes are nearly always the wrong kind, and of lousy quality. when you don't have the right tomatoes you have to adapt.

>caramelise onions or reduce wine
Oops. Meant
>caramelise /ingredients/ or reduce wine
Some sauces don't use onions, of course.

That makes sense, then. The one time I saw my mom add sugar is when she sent me down the market for fresh tomatoes and I didn't know what type to buy and cell phones weren't common yet. I guess she decided to just add sugar to it rather than complain.

this america bashing really activates my almonds.

>obsessed
America is an ad paradise and what's how now everyone drinks soda everyday. Also can't be helped if your beer is basically a soda too. I think

Mexico is even worse believe it or not. They drink way more pop

>american beer is basically a soda too

Now you've gone over the edge of stupidity into pure retardation.

Truth hurts dont it gaymerifag

>tfw have never and will never obsess over USA

desu u all that do it are pretty weird

american beer is the best in the world, you moron.

You can have the same effect with warm water and time. Yeast dough needs about 8h to rise properly.

It's flavorless. At least compared to german beer.

yeah, sure. whatever you say, roach.

Stop drinking our crappy watery macrobrews
West coast has been exploding with craft beers that are superb. They don't have the same rapport that german beers do because they're not 300 years old, but they're still fucking good

Mexico is actually worse, and have you seen how much syrup and sugar some asian countries add to their food?

>west coast microbrews

Not only there, it's fucking all over the country. Even Memphis has a big microbrew scene. When an idiot says "it's tasteless," you know they only know macros.

>it's fucking all over the country
It's the fastest growing business in maine.

Most packaged and processed stuff is loaded with sugar and salt. Is that different in other countries..? Its common knowledge here that anything you eat that isnt cooked by you is full of that shit and will make you fat. Just the choices you make in life to have convenience or more money and a longer life.

Beers chased with juices being branded as "hard ciders" are really popular right now to be fair.

I don't really know what goes on east of colorado, so I didn't want to spout lies.

>chasing good beer with a sweet cider is popular

Among what part of the populace? Sorority bitches? Sorry, it's not happening among your average american microbeer drinker.

here's what you need to make good tomato sauce

1) can of san marzano tomatoes
2) maybe some olive oil, garlic, or basil

that's it

>Most packaged and processed stuff is loaded with sugar and salt. Is that different in other countries..?
No.
But the problem is, that in America, everything seems to be processed, even stuff that should not be.

>EU: supermarkt bread is shitty, but mostly contains bread ingredients + a few things to make it shelf stable and easy to process with machines. If you dont want that, go to a bakery
>US: supermarkt bread is shitty, mostly contains HFCS, some bread ingredients + a lot of hings to make it shelf stable and easy to process with machines. If you dont want that, move to a hipster city to find a whole foods or a bakery

>EU: shitty off brand 100% durum wheat semolina pasta is made out of 100% durum wheat semolina
>US: shitty of brand 100% durum wheat semolina pasta is made out of 100% durum wheat semolina + 5 other ingredients

>EU: 100% Juice is 100% juice
>US: Contains 100% Juice contains all kinds of stuff (mostly HFCS), among of them, some juice, which is indeed 100% juice (percentage calculation, how does it work?)

>EU: sour cream contains sour cream
>US: sour cream contains milk product, corn starch, carageen, guar gum, sugar and whatnot

>EU: shitty macrobrews are mostly still a drinkable beer
>US: shitty macrobrews are always piss flavoured water with all kinds of shit in them to make their foam look foamy and whatnot. If you want a beer, you have to overpay for a (mostly very good, to be fair) hipster craft brew

Yes, I'm OBSESSED. But having spent the last half year in the US and Canada, I was really surprised how many clichees are true. Didn't see to many landwhales though (still more than in EU, but not as many as I thought I would)

>>EU: supermarkt bread is shitty, but mostly contains bread ingredients + a few things to make it shelf stable and easy to process with machines. If you dont want that, go to a bakery
You dont have fucking clue dont you. 90% of euro bread is full with disgusting stuff.

>90% of euro bread is full with disgusting stuff.
I agree. And I did say so.
Its bread stuff + shitty stuff, resulting in something that, while shitty, still is somewhat bready. I hate it, and don't buy it, because I can always get the good stuff from a bakery.
And the US the ingredients are the otherway round, and the "bread" tastes like a bad sponge cake and you often have a hard time to get something better.
I just did what said, and just stopped eating bread while I was there.

Make your own. Nothing's comfier than having the smell of fresh baked bread in your place.

It's true. I've visited america a few times, and it really is surprising how sweet everything is. Their bread for instance tastes VERY sweet.

I also noticed that they use a lot of cinnamon too.

>move to a hipster city to find a whole foods or a bakery
Are there seriously no bakeries in normal/small US cities?

>Is america really that sugar addicted?
Judging by the amount of "how to give up soda" threads, Yes.

American tomatoes are low quality and often have an unpleasant acidic taste. They probably started adding sugar to counterbalance this and get the flavor close to proper tomato sauce, but their descendants just went full retard and started dumping in massive amounts of sugar as if it was always supposed to be there.

In flyover land usually the most exciting place you can eat is a McDonalds or an Applebees and the best grocery shopping is a Dollar General.

I live in a small town in Florida. I genuinely have no idea where to find a bakery.

i think the trend in america is that people realize how bad sugar is for there health more nowadays and altering there diets to not be so fat and retarded. which is kind of hard b/c in america it's part of the culture to guzzle soda but i think that's changing. i predict in the future america will be a more healthy happy country and turd holes like mexico and argentina and germony and panama will be full of soda guzzling retarded monkey people who go around doo dooing in there pants in church 7 days a week

>doo dooing in there pants in church 7 days a week

You just accurately described Mississippi.

yuro bread all seems to do this as well at least spain, italy and poortugal. Their fucking milk tastes sweetened and even their fucking butter. Niggers also tricked me by putting tuna in a jam pastry once.

lol stop being such a fucking meme kiddo

Yeah potentially fucking with endocrine systems is likely not a good thing. It might not be bad but by it's nature small changes can have ridiculous cascade effects on the endocrine system. Do you fuckers still get free growth hormone in your beef though ?

this really activates my almonds.

top puf

Nobody cares, spics don't have America's OBSESSION factor.

tbf you probably drank sweet tea.

It's supposed to be sweet. Rich plantation owners back in the day would wave around how big their dick was by having a pitcher of it with some ice, which was three luxury goods in one then-unique package.

why does everyone buy bread with sugar in it?

if you don't like it, don't buy it, pretty easy.