Anyone into experimental literature like this and house of leaves?

Anyone into experimental literature like this and house of leaves?

Can anyone recommend anythjng to me from various authors and time periods that was land marking and definitive for a genre, demographic, time period or whatever else?

I'm looking for lists aside from reviewers online who read lots of experimental novels. I like when the cover compliments the contents of the novel as well, as it portrays the concept and idea behind it. Like s album record.

Can you lovely beautiful anons give me your most beautiful and gorgeous recommendations on here? I want something that's completely totally different and unique that's never really been done before, yet. Something that realllllly sticks out.

I couldn't get through the entirety of House of Leaves, but I'm pretty sure that was the point of the book.

Beckett's Molloy.

Innovation in a traditional fiction genre at its best. Maybe it has aged a little but it's absolutely fantastic. Especially if you like your experimentation mixed with black comedy.

I'm also looking for more of this kind...

McBride has said her primary influence is Joyce

Recommending Finnegan's Wake is awful.
At least recommend Dubliners or Portrait of the artist

>'
You've forfeited your right to comment on Joyce

Sure.
If advising to read FW to unprepared people is forfeiting my right to do so, then so be it. Why would I care.

I can understand that people sometimes have wrong opinions, so I'll just respect yours, no worries.

This is basically the answer. If you want torturous weird stuff interspliced with rare moments of beauty then this is an endless resource

I wish Joyce would've just written things to be as beautiful as possible, but no that would have been too simple

>Finnegan's

>experimental literature
>dubliners

Uhhhh Finnegans Wake is absolutely a correct recommendation to make. Although I'd recommend Ulysses first.

Oh, god, someone made a typo on my hawaiian business board again !!!!1!1

>I'm looking for lists aside from reviewers online who read lots of experimental novels.

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but Larry McCaffery's list called 20th Century's Greatest Hits skews very experimental and is pretty good in general.

Specific recommendations from the list: Federman for weird typography, Burroughs for his cut-up stuff, maybe Ducornet because she's female and writes experimental pseudo-erotica.

Tristram Shandy is as experimental as anything that's been written, and laugh-out-loud funny.

"It is not half an hour ago, when (in the great hurry and precipitation of a poor devil's writing for daily bread) I threw a fair sheet, which I had just finished, and carefully wrote out, slap into the fire, instead of the foul one.

Instantly I snatch'd off my wig, and threw it perpendicularly, with all imaginable violence, up to the top of the room—indeed I caught it as it fell—but there was an end of the matter; nor do I think any think else in Nature would have given such immediate ease: She, dear Goddess, by an instantaneous impulse, in all provoking cases, determines us to a sally of this or that member—or else she thrusts us into this or that place, or posture of body, we know not why—But mark, madam, we live amongst riddles and mysteries—the most obvious things, which come in our way, have dark sides, which the quickest sight cannot penetrate into; and even the clearest and most exalted understandings amongst us find ourselves puzzled and at a loss in almost every cranny of nature's works: so that this, like a thousand other things, falls out for us in a way, which tho' we cannot reason upon it—yet we find the good of it, may it please your reverences and your worships—and that's enough for us."

This passage is about
1.) Senseless actions providing satisfaction
2.) The futility of human understanding
3.) Sexy-times and the female anatomy

Just a random tidbit. The whole book is like that. Jokes on multiple levels, a devilishly complex but natural and coherent time-line, a solid morality (Shandeism, i.e. Pantagruelism, i.e. benevolent tolerance, i.e. "This world is surely wide enough to hold both thee and me"), extreme erudition (which is mostly lifted from Burton), etc.

It's an indescribable book but if you're into weird and experimental stuff, it is the book for you.

He's the best. I have yet to read something bad by him, or even weak; he does well even in poetry format. Seems he can do no wrong, kinda wish he had lived longer...

Murphy's great too, but imo Molloy is at its best.

John Hawkes is pretty good when it comes to this sort of stuff.

>kinda wish he had lived longer...
???

I get he means he had produced more work even? idk poor guy doesn't even know he died at 80+

Beginning of The Nouveau Roman

Why are all these experimental faggots Irish?

Eimear?

Read Larva by Julian Rios