Is teaching myself Latin a fools dream?

Is teaching myself Latin a fools dream?

After looking at some recomendations, pic related seems to be acknowledged as a good start, but after skimming the first few pages, I think I might be too stupid to start with this.

Any suggestions? Should I just go for "Latin for Dumbies" ?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/janualinguae/
youtube.com/user/evan1965
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you make a sustained effort, no it's not impossible.

Every teacher basically just goes through a textbook chapter by chapter then forces the pupils to do exercises. You can get the exercises from the book and evaluate your progress using answer keys. I pretty much never interacted with any of my Latin teachers other than them grading my papers or them forcing me to read a paragraph aloud. Plus the pronunciation side of the coin is irrelevant with Latin.

bona fortuna faggotus

I found Visual Latin useful. It's not significantly harder than learning a Romance language.

>Plus the pronunciation side of the coin is irrelevant with Latin.

How so? I want to be able to pronounce it accurately. How else will people know I'm smart?

From what I understand, the pronunciation of Latin is relatively simple. It's the grammar that I imagine will give me the most grief.

I'll add that to my list, cheers.

Nobody is 100% clear on what """correct""" Latin pronunciation should be for all sorts of reasons. Not every Latin spoke the same depending on geography, time, class etc. And even then it's not totally clear how anyone spoke.

One of the interesting things about these dead languages is removing the phonetic aspect too. In this way they become a bit like Chinese.

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata

best textbook

>From what I understand, the pronunciation of Latin is relatively simple
Note that ecclesiatical Latin pronounces V like W, and there might be other minor differences I don't remember. But yes it's not too bad. I like to emulate Italian to give it a little flavor on the tongue.

Had a look at it. It's a book entirely in Latin, so it wont help me much.

Might not be 100%, but I imagine we know enough to be able to reconstruct the pronunciation to an extent, so I wanna be as close as I can get.

Yeah, I had read that. C's are pronounced like K's, V's like W's. R's are always rolled, aside from that it's pretty straightforward I think.

Can anyone clarify exactly how you pronounce the "ae" sound? Is it like the "e" in see? Or is it like "ay" in "say"?

I had some courses with Lingua Latina and is a great book. It's entirely in Latin, but that's actually the idea, you learn more easily trying to get things from context, the illustrations and the guidelines at the margins and the end of each chapter.

And you always can use a dictionary to understand the more tricky words.

True enough, I guess. Still, I want to start off with a book explaining the basic grammar and the like. Afterwards, I might be better prepared to dive into Lingua Latina, and make more sense of it.

Wheelock's isn't bad and I've heard good things about Gwynn's, you'll find it very helpful to chant your declensions and draw them up in lists, you have to get it so that you know them instinctually.

I'll write that down, thanks.

It doesn't hurt to learn a bit of pronunciation just be prepared that not everyone will agree.

Latin via Ovid is pretty good.

I learned with Cambridge, would reccomend

æ lmao

I can actually recommend Cambridge Latin Course series as well. Still have my set. I don't know why you want to teach yourself an otherwise impractical language, but then I don't know why I decided to pour sour milk in my coffee this morning, even though I knew it was sour, and then drink the coffee anyway.

bona fortuna faggotus
Kek

do this and pair it with lingua latina per se illustrata

couple it with this
sites.google.com/site/janualinguae/

and this
youtube.com/user/evan1965

Go fuck yourself

>Is teaching myself Latin a fools dream?

Why do so many people seem to think learning a language is some almost impossible task ?

A coule of vote for Cambridge Latin. I'll just save this entire thread.

>I don't know why you want to teach yourself an otherwise impractical language

Well, clearly you wanted to do the same thing, or even attended actual courses.

It is a dead language. And learning a language on your own is kind of challenging, even if you are trying to learn a relatively easy one, which I don't think Latin is.

I learned English and German on my own, but I did so when I was a child, and you absorb information very quickly as a kid.