How do you make homefries so that they're crispy and not just soggy?

How do you make homefries so that they're crispy and not just soggy?

Use ridiculous amounts of hot fat.

That's how most restaurants do it.

PAN

NICE

AND

HOT

Those don't look like fries to me.

The secret is lard, lard will make them deliciously golden brown and awesome
also:

NICE AND HOT

hot cast iron, more oil than you'd think, and don't fuck with it too much.

cut potato
rinse in cold water
drain
rinse again
drain
pat dry with paper towel
cook on high heat

I make 'em from day-old baked potatoes. I'm not cooking the potatoes just reheating and getting 'em crispy!

highly recommend for hashbrowns and homefries

yeah, this. Also don't crowd the pan. As soon as you have got more than a single layer of fries on the bottom of your pan the steam from the lowest fries rises up and turns the upper ones soggy. Make them in batches or use two pans at once.

Add extra love

This, so much lard. Makes them delicious. Also, fuck cast iron, if you're not used to one use a good non-stick pan. Also also, don't turn them too often, let one side brown up, then flip them.

cut up your potatoes
rinse a couple times
boil them for a few minutes
drain, dry as best you can, then fry

steam them first, then deep fry. don't overcook in steam. just par cook so that the outside gets tender and soft.

This.

Good suggestions so far. I'll throw in my own personal opinion and experience.

Oil and butter. The oil will raise the smoking point of the butter, and the butter, well, it tastes fucking amazing. Better than lard.

Definitely want to cook them a bit first. I prefer microwaving or baking them with the skin on then chopping them. No rinsing and drying needed.

Be sure the oil is hot, k? Otherwise they'll just sink to the bottom and soak up oil. They'll probably stick as well.

Saute the onions in another pan and sweat out most of the water. Add them to the potatoes towards the end. Now you don't have onions steaming your crispy potatoes.

easier just to fry it twice

This, a short boil before hand means you can crank the heat up in the pan without worrying about raw bits

cut up potatoes

microwave 5 minutes

place potato into ziplock baggie

shake with taco seasoning

super hot bacon grease

potatoes, in

they get crisp

potatoes, out.

I like to fry them in olive oil, and then add a knob of butter at the end with minced garlic, paprica, pepper, cayanne, and a dash of celery salt. Kill the heat but leave it all in the pan while tossing the taters and letting the garlic caramelize from the residual heat.

rinse then nuke them for 6 minutes in the radar range and dump the liquid that comes out

Keeping potatoes as dry as possible is important for a nice sear/crunchy bits.

When I make homemade hashrowns, I grate that shit in a bowl, squeeze out the water by hand, lay them on a couple of paper towels, squeeze again, then start using them. Russets have less water but a red or gold potato have a shitload of whatever in them.