Dang... asimov was smart

dang... asimov was smart

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimov's_Guide_to_the_Bible
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What does this post hope to accomplish?

The most potent force to criticize his writings are some of their books.

No, seriously, do you guys like asimov?

whered you get that quote op?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimov's_Guide_to_the_Bible

Asimov is relevant because he wrote science fiction with new ideas. He invented in his work, which is part of the lure of science fiction. Just like Dick, Pohl, Heinlein, Ellison, Clarke, herbert and Card, and of course the big ones, Wells and Verne.

There were some writers who weren't quite bad at writing but wrote the same adventure boy stuff that they always could sell, like Robert F Young.

Science fiction is split up as a sort of classy distinction.

It's the same premise as drinking wine to get wasted because you are "refined"

It's like telling everyone that video games are for children after binge watching television.

Science fiction and regular fiction offer different things. I think one day someone will be able to bridge the divide, but what we seem to have instead is a dip into "write whatever the fuck you want no matter how stupid or unscientific because it's cool" or Social justice territories.

You read fiction to expand your soul, you read science fiction to expand your mind.

hahahaha

>You read fiction to expand your soul, you read science fiction to expand your mind.

fucking kek'd

Is this pasta?

Didn't expect that level of argument. Ok, you may have a point, I liked that.

This is now a fedora thread

The only thing I'll expand is your pink little asterisk of an anus

Ok, maybe the last sentence was purple, I was a little swept up.

But I think it stands.

You read fiction for that emotional tug you get from themes and style, and science fiction is for that tug on your imagination and intellect.

hahahahaha

Man fuck you. Just because you have to do everything dispassionately and ironically, doesn't mean that I have to. And if I look silly enjoying what I enjoy then I'll deal with that.

But the least you could do is actually argue a point if you disagree with me.

That fake laugh just makes you look like a prick, Imo.

Define "properly read."

Why do you feel the need to separate every single line of your post like a troglodyte?

I feel that it's easier to read that way.

Why are you arguing semantics like a cunt?

Get (you)s

I'm okay accepting that people read science fiction rather than "literary" fiction to expand their imagination. This is sort of the same as saying that genre fiction is read for escapism, which seems correct.

I don't agree that science fiction is necessarily more intellect tugging. The sort of fiction I like makes me think seriously about things like philosophy and the structure of fiction.

Lel.

That wasn't me. I agree with you somewhat but I also believe that science fiction should also have that emotional tug otherwise it just be a technical book written as a narrative.

A science fiction book with themes, style, remarkable ideas, and beautiful prose, I would read the fuck out of it.

Thanks for being serious

>write whatever the fuck you want no matter how stupid or unscientific because it's cool
I think that's what science fiction and fantasy needs more of right now. Instead we have autistic in-depth worldbuilding like Alastair Reynolds and G.R.R.M. I really want someone to write fantasy that ditches the pseudo-Norse Medieval bullshit and makes a true fantasy set in a world built entirely around the characters, where perhaps the world is an extension of the protagonist's mind. There's so much potential that nobody bothers to explore due to their autism.

Science fiction is supposed to be more than escapism. If it were just escapism, it would be like classic literature merely being fancy and pretty to read.

Unfortunately most authors of the genre aren't interested in writing that, quite frankly a lot of fans read it because it's easy and won't make them feel anything but allow them to daydream.

More often do I see steampunk bullshit than actual hardcore science fiction.

Im going to read " a Canticle for Leibowitz" soon, it's supposed to be be literary science fiction. Maybe you should too.

>this thread

>You read fiction for that emotional tug you get from themes and style
No, you read literary fiction for interesting stories told in interesting ways, often with philosophical elements and arguments driving the stories. There's just as much thought involved as in science fiction, if not more. Science fiction is mostly just "imagination fuel".

That isn't what semantics is.

>you read literary fiction for interesting stories told in interesting ways, often with philosophical elements and arguments driving the stories
demonstrably false

You're right.

I read it. Not my cup of tea. Earth Abides was a way better experience and at times it felt literary. ;)

Also try Olaf Stapledon.

>You read fiction for that emotional tug you get from themes and style, and science fiction is for that tug on your imagination and intellect.
>No, you read literary fiction for interesting stories told in interesting ways

Don't tell me what I read anything for.

You're correct. But still a cunt
>I can only produce memes
I was referring to such writers who just write things like werewolf badass cool hunter man 2. The imagination isn't the problem, the problem is they write ideas sci-fi channel would reject.
Literary fiction is such a complex mix of style, themes, characterization, plot, metaphor, and so many other things that your definition doesnt even scratch the surface. Science fiction is still relatively new, comparatively. In time it will reach a quality similar to tradtional literary fiction.

Do you not understand that we are writing what we believe fiction is intended for, instead of saying that you must read it for this reason?

Or are you that fucking stupid?

>we are writing what we believe fiction is intended for, instead of saying that you must read it for this reason
If you say where in your post you implied that before, I'll gladly apologize and retract my statement.

You can infer what I said by not being a sperg and understanding that people sometimes use informal speech patterns which they have picked up from family or cultural backgrounds.

When someone says "you do this for" you are safe in assuming that the person is saying "the reason you do this for is" because you have no basis to assume that saying "you do this for" means "you better do this the way I say."

No, sir, I object entirely to this. People read books for different reasons. Go fuck yourself with a broomstick.

Of course they do, my beliefs on what the book was intended for doesnt change that, or hinder your ability to read for the reasons you want. So take the broomstick out of your ass you oversensitive child.

>Literary fiction is such a complex mix of style, themes, characterization, plot, metaphor, and so many other things that your definition doesnt even scratch the surface. Science fiction is still relatively new, comparatively. In time it will reach a quality similar to tradtional literary fiction

>Literary fiction is such a complex mix of style, themes, characterization, plot, metaphor, and so many other things that your definition doesnt even scratch the surface. Science fiction is still relatively new, comparatively. In time it will reach a quality similar to tradtional literary fiction

It won't, because it relies on convention, which is basically how it's defined. Genre = convention. This precludes it from having those interesting things.

If a story has fictional or fantasy elements in it but it is also highly original with language, character etc, then it's not really science fiction in the traditional sense; it's literature.