Just purchased pic related. What should I expect?

Just purchased pic related. What should I expect?

accurate science and likable characters. can kinda drag, but take that part with a grain of salt. had to speed read this in four days for school.

Read it in one sitting after a school dinner last year. Surprisingly enjoyable - Sounds odd, but I got the same kind of feeling in the transition and progression as when I read C&P.

Reddit-core quippy meme shit

this. every character is that one guy off the big bang theory

t. only seen the movie

>“WATNEY: Look! A pair of boobs! -> (.Y.).”

>“The screen went black before I was out of the airlock. Turns out the “L” in “LCD” stands for “Liquid.” I guess it either froze or boiled off. Maybe I’ll post a consumer review. “Brought product to surface of Mars. It stopped working. 0/10.”

>“You know what? "Kilowatt-hour per sol" is a pain in the ass to say. I'm gonna invent a new scientific unit name. One kilowatt-hour per sol is... it can be anything... um... I suck at this... I'll call it a "pirate-ninja".”

why would you purchase this? should've gotten it from libgen. anyway if you really need a break from literary shit and you like science maybe you'll like it. personally i found it a waste of time

>pirate-ninja

are you serious?

yeah, those were actual quotes from the book. pull up an e-book copy from libgen and ctrl+F it if you want. that's why i don't think very highly of it

Literally one of the worst books i've ever read in my life. It's made for STEM fags who think that scientifically accurate scenarios make up for awful prose, non characterization, and Big-Bang-Theory-tier humor. It's made for the type of Neil DeGrasse Tyson fanboy who claims to "love science."

You should expect to be called a retard or other such insulting epithets and to 'gtfo' and 'kys'.

Written by a stemfag for the (((geek culture))) audience. Some of the worst character dialogue to be printed. MC is a Thrall tier Mary Sue stand in for the author that spouts shitty quips constantly. Doesn't change at all over the course of the book.

Partially saved by its admittedly good premise and somewhat accurate sci-fi. In the hands of a skilled writer it could have been something special.

Just watch the movie 2bh it's the same shit only its over faster. Massively missed opportunity to salvage the premise.

I love threads with well-placed memes.

The movie's actually better. Watney's dialogue coming out of someone as charasmatic as Damon makes it come across as less cringey.

I'm planning on reading this mostly for the science parts and how a character reacts to Mars as an environment. I'm doing a bit of research for a possible novella about a Catholic Priest living with the first settlers on Mars.

It's kinda sad seeing stemfags trying to struggle so much in prose and literature. They basically have no talent for anything except counting numbers.

Anyone else on this subreddit FUCKING LOVE science??

Idk, the appeal of the book, to me, was the detail with which the protag explained what he was doing. The film glossed over all of that and played up the epic may mays.

>accurate science and likable characters.
Why lie bro?

The book is way more that guy from the big bang theory than the mildly enjpyable movie.

/reddit general/?

>was the detail with which the protag explained what he was doing
>with which
I really wish I had access to your head and a rock with which to bash it in.

There's a page and a half on cast water where a good chunk is spent doing the "betcha didn't think a nerd could be a manly astronaut but guess what I'm your self insert!"

>scientifically accurate scenarios
They are by and large not scientifically accurate. It's for people that like the idea of science but don't really understand it.

Good command of the english language you got there, kiddo.

This cannot be real. Tell me it is not real.

My God. Literally, and I mean literally, Reddit.

Pretty much the whole thing is like that. There's a reason it's a top contender for reddit: the book along with reddit plebber none.

>“He’s stuck out there. He thinks he’s totally alone and that we all gave up on him. What kind of effect does that have on a man’s psychology?” He turned back to Venkat. “I wonder what he’s thinking right now.”

>LOG ENTRY: SOL 61 How come Aquaman can control whales? They’re mammals! Makes no sense.”

He's a Botanist what do you expect

Bazinga.

ooooh the "i wonder what he’s thinking right now" joke

classic, just classic, never seen that before

delete this

HE'S AQUAMAN, NOT FISHMAN YOU FUCKING REDDIT CUNT!

I can tell you're totally jelly, straight up.