I was raised in front of a screen. I grew up without the guide of literature. I detested it...

I was raised in front of a screen. I grew up without the guide of literature. I detested it, as black text over white paper could never give me the same stimulation as the vivid colors, clear emotions, and the overall lively images which television and video games offered me. Whenever I was forced to read a book, I would often become distracted and found it difficult to bring myself to actually read and experience the stories which were in front of me. To be blunt, reading absolutely bored me.

Having matured, I've realized that there is a plethora of knowledge available within literature. I wish to seek this knowledge out, but there is a problem: I am still cursed with my old view of literature. Whenever I try reading a novel, my imagination drifts away from the text in front of me and goes into deep thoughts and unrelated contemplations. I then suddenly realize I have read two pages without actually processing anything within those pages.

So Veeky Forums, how do I stop this? I really want to enjoy literature, but this predicament leaves me with an unwanted feeling of dislike. I could learn and experience so much if I could end this issue.

Flash fiction? I think there's a chart of that in the sticky. Novellas after that.

I should have noted that I have particular literary interests.

I wish to read Leo Tolstoy. Of course, I must prepare myself for such an undertaking or else I'll quit like a bitch. But anyways, thanks for the recommendations pham.

1. Pick something you genuinely (genuinely) want to read. Don't try to give a shit about c/lit/s calling you a pleb if you read genre shit or pop-nonfiction books.
2. Read somewhere quiet and away from technology. Somewhere like a peaceful park or a library. Don't bring your cellphone.
3. Stop using the internet and playing video games so much. It's been scientifically proven that it warps your brain and worsens your attention span. If you're still young, your brain is maleable and there can still be hope.
4. Be patient and don't give up after you read one boring book. Books and literature have a huge variety of styles and subjects.
5. Watch or read a couple interviews of Harold Bloom. His love for literature is genuinely inspiring. Keep a picture of him close by and contemplate it regularly for additional support.

This desu, think of almighty Bloom

Are you trying to get through War and Peace or reading his shorter works?

He wrote A Letter to a Hindu which is pretty short and could lead you into the book length The Kingdom of God is Within You once you're caught up in the subject matter.

>keep a picture of him close by and contemplate it regularly for additional support
10/10

I'm trying to read 'Great Expectations' by Dickends because I sort of have to but I get sleepy after a few pages/chapters (depends). Revolting experience.

I shall

>Are you trying to get through War and Peace or reading his shorter works?
'War and Peace' and Anna Karenina.

I'll read the others, along with the one about the Avars.

That picture... those are supposed to be the Fates/Norns, right?

I think they're just aesthetic Italian chicks...

>'War and Peace' and Anna Karenina.

Have you tried reading something that's not Tolstoy? Are you sure you're not just a try hard? It sounds like you're just forcing yourself to read something you're not interested in. I know he's a great author, but there's no point in reading him if you don't want to.

We could make a new chart for newcomers based on short books. I've been thinking about this: siddharta, the gambler, borges's fictions, etc

No, they follow the old triple pattern: maiden/matron/crone.

I haven't begun reading him. I just feel that I should read something else before reading his works so I don't come to reject his works.

Dickens is for the birds, really bad place to start. Try Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises.

Borges - Fictions
Garcia Marquez - Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Joyce - Dubliners

Maybe Kafka

This. Once you're past the pleb book stage, starting with the Greeks is a decent way of getting into the meatier stuff. You get a good background for most of the classic lit you want to read, and it's quite interesting (though you don't really need to read everything Aristotle wrote).

>starting with the greeks
>not with the mesopotamian

>'War and Peace' and Anna Karenina.

You're literally me except I don't have your reading problems

I can't post anything helpful to you except that I fiercely hope you manage to overcome your reading problems because WaP and AK are two of the most excellent books I've ever read

When you feel ready to read them, begin with AK if you're still not completely at ease with literature by this time though; I think it's easier to read. WaP has lot and lot of philosophical passages that are pretty hit or miss

Read short stories

Salinger, Kafka, Borges, Carver, Hemingway, Joyce

>Dickens is for the birds
how so?