Soledad

What do you guys think? How is it? I have just started it for the first time and so far really enjoy it. Any suggestions for a first time reader of this book?

Id suggest looking at a genealogy of the family if u get lost.

Thanks. This seems more and more like a necessity. Couldn't he have just written about one guy?

enjoy it user, it's one of the best books ever written

doesn't every edition have the family tree printed inside? mine did

>it's one of the best books ever written
No lo es f.am

I never found this a problem for names just their relation with each other

If you enjoy that book i'd recommend any other of Marquezez work because most is just as good

lol Im Colombian and I know that isn't true

he isn't even the best writer from here

WHO IS?

t.colombian bretheren

Logical fallacy, argument from authority.

wow you really convinced me with the strength of your arguments and all the supporting data you provided

Hola negros, que tal les va la lectura de La Celestina?

>They unironically want to engage discussion against people who not only read in the original language, but also understand wholeheartedly the text
Are you sure?

you sound like a bit of a pompous dick to be honest mate

EL ColombiANO

I am
Friendly reminder that Marquez copy pasted Faulkner scene with Aureliano being executed, then looking away, and the commissar asking why he doesn't take his execution seriously, Aureliano responds : ''Don't bother me''
salceo

I speak Spanish myself and that alone doesn't give me the authority to make such claims.

>spics think their "understanding" matter
>south americans can't get over the fact that their literature is largely irrelevant
>butthurt user can't come to terms with the fact that your best author, garcia marquez, admitted his books read better in english

w e w

Why would I take pride or shame for latin american literature? Why would you take pride or shame for yours? Have you contributed to it?

i dont, but im also not the one saying
>who not only read in the original language, but also understand wholeheartedly the text
>lol Im Colombian

I submit that very few well read people acknowledge García Márquez as the best latin american writer in history. I personally think Borges and Cortázar largely outrank him, to begin with.

I'm not saying that either.
But you say this:

>south americans can't get over the fact that their literature is largely irrelevant

As if latin americans need to be apologists of latin american literature. No one needs to be an apologist of their culture's literature, there's absolutely no reason, unless you honestly prefer it in its own merits, without illusions of identity and can make reasonable arguments.

>Fag thinks we care about anything outside of South America
>Doesn't understand that this thread was made to our literature
>Doesn't know Garcia said this because his writting is shit
Holy shit user
It's about understanding why this text is consequent to Colombians, not Spanish speakers, yet it's a big part.

The fact that it's consequent to colombians doesn't speak to its quality in a global level. I frankly don't care if it's specially relevant to colombians. I like Gabo, but I like him without any pretensions of latin american reivindication, that's non-sense.

you're right, they needn't be, yet they are consistently hyperdefensive on their "national body of literature"

found the butthurt spic

It's quality isn't even Colombian top tier, so that's why I'm mocking idiots who think they have a say in anything just because they liked it.

We agree then. I despise the latin american reivindication. It's a very distracting motive, that takes away from the literature itself. As if Proust was writing to defend the french identity, Pamuk the turkey, or whoever. There certainly are writers that do, but I think that hinders them. If you listen to Cortázar interviews, he wasn't particularly fond of writing as a latin american, but simply as a man.
Local identity and chauvinistic patriotism, or culturalism are cancer.

How can Latin America (2/3 of a continent) have "national" body of literature?

That's a matter of discussion, to debate its quality and all of that. But I dismiss that simply being colombian qualifies your arguments as more valid ones.

I agree that Márquez is inflated, I like it nonetheless, just not as the quintessential writer some people paint him to be.

That's certainly a missused term, but it conveys the fact that latin americans are more prone to defend latin american identity, than, say, Europeans.