Food service workplace General

Alright the title is a work in progress but I guess this will be a thread about problems we face in our workplaces.

I'll start with my letter to Mc Donalds HR after getting no where with the managers about the problems I face.

Dear Human Resources

I have worked at Mc Donald’s Donegall place (located in Belfast, Northern Ireland) for over a year now. During my time at Mc Donald’s I have noticed gross misconduct/incorrect procedures on numerous occasions, even though I have mentioned all of these problems to the management they just don’t seem to care enough to correct the staff and improve. Day after day it’s the same thing with the same staff, even when I try to correct their behaviour they don’t listen and turn the other way while using vulgar language.

General problems

The 30 minute hand wash procedure is barely followed, especially on overnights. Staff are not “cleaning as they go” even though they are being constantly reminded, they just stand there like idiots when they have nothing to do instead of asking or finding something to do. Skimming of vats isn’t being done, they are always filthy and this has resulted in a few of our vats breaking. The managers have told people to make sure this is being done but they aren’t following up on this, they are just assuming its being done. Products are not being assembled to Mc Donald’s standards, dressings are almost always messy outside of a few simple chicken products. Food is always above level and over held, the staff know how to read level charts but they don’t follow them which is leading to terrible food quality. This wouldn’t be picked up upon during GAP times as they are always using the freshest ingredients/beef/chicken to make them. Staff are also constantly on their mobile phones while on the shop floor. Even though there is an effort by a few shift mangers to resolve this problem enough just simply isn’t being done.

Overnights

As you may already know overnights are extremely busy, especially during the weekend. However this does not excuse staff being lazy and trying to get everything done as quickly as possible in the most unprofessional nature possible. For example last night there was a lull and the crew trainer (Michael) running kitchen decided it was a good idea to strip the kitchen and start brining round parts of the dive just before 3am at night even though he was told not to. Naturally the whole kitchen fell apart and everyone was running around like a bunch of headless chickens while customers were waiting very long for their orders.

Furthermore overnighters are apparently bringing in bladed weapons such as knives and switchblades into the store while on shift, I’m told they need them for “safety” reasons but there is no place for such weapons in the workplace. The overnighters are a big problem, their lack of care and respect should be a major concern for Mc Donald’s as a whole. A few of the overnighters are also drinking alcohol (before and during shifts) and using banned substances (weed, grass and Marijuana) during their smoke breaks in front of the restaurant and at the bus stop at the side door. It’s not hard to notice this as they do is often, that and the smell is easy to pick up upon. A month ago one of the managers (Jolene) said she would consider stopping permanent overnighters to monitor them outside of overnights but this never happened. This is a missed opportunity to correct them make them improve or get rid of the bad apples entirely.

The main Deliveryman/stockroom person Niall Mc Ardle

He is one of the most unprofessional people I have ever met. He does everything wrong and always insists he is right, even when he’s told by managers to do something he flat out tells them no. On multiple occasions he told the shift manager to “suck his dick” and “go fuck themselves” when asked to put the cages in the corridor during delivery to get them off the shop floor which he never does. Even the most basic procedures don’t matter to him, the stock in the freezer and the dry stock isn’t getting rotated properly and when I brought this to the shift manager’s (Rory) attention he ignored me stating “it’ll be alright”. I know nothing was done because I came in the next day and checked it, nothing had been moved so either the shift manager told him and Niall didn’t do it or he never said anything at all which is highly likely. Niall is also doing drugs while on shift, he’s always smelling of some kind of Marijuana or weed. I can’t be the only one who has noticed this, how has him and others been able to go on like this for so long? People just turn a blind eye “because their friends” which is inexcusable considering we are a restaurant and have standards to adhere to. He also rides up and down in the elevator, writes on the walls inside the shaft, and opens the hatch above the elevator to spit down the shaft.

Not to mention that Niall constantly bullies and berates other crew members for no reason other than to get his jollies. I can also tell he simply can’t stand me because he always tries to get the better of me, kicking my shoes and pretending to knock stuff into me. When I confronted him about this he said he would “knock my cunt in” and started whacking a hammer of a box of bulk cola to intimidate me. He squared up to me on more than one occasion and when I told he can’t do anything while I’m at work because he’d get fired

he simply resorted to name calling like a child.

I could go on forever about what’s done incorrectly. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact me further. I would very much like a response and any relevant information or feedback as I will be following up on this. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I've also reported the drug use in store to the police but I doubt that will do anything. Thanks for reading,

Are they non-whites?

I'm not saying that what you did was wrong, just very badly executed. You don't write a letter to corporate with that kind of verbiage, it looks foolish and makes you almost impossible to take seriously.

Also, you don't name names in such a letter, just as a matter of course. You'll only make those people have it in for you (are you a girl? It seemed like you might be, but I can't tell) if they ever get shown the letter or someone from corporate ever talks to them.

You don't bring up inane, pointless situations that just made you mad, nobody will care (sorry,that sounds bad but it's true) and in this case it is highly probable that you're the only one complaining.

I'm not saying you don't have some legit complaints you just mix them with needless whining,which takes away from the legitimacy of your real complaints.

Also weed,grass and marijuana are the same thing. That's like saying "I think he was drinking some kind of beer,alcohol or booze."

Hope this helps!

Yes, Irish.

>How is [menu item]?

It's good

>Yeah but how good is it? Is it just okay?

It's good

>You don't sound convinced

>mfw

I've never behaved this way when I go to a restaurant. I just find something on the menu that sounds like a good combination of ingredients that I would enjoy and then I order it. I don't get the sentiment where people will ask stuff like "What are your most popular items" or "Are the fries good? Like really good or just sort of good?"

That or they'll ask if an item is bad or not and I'm forced to either tell the truth (which is that I probably haven't had that item to eat yet) or just say it's good because I want to stand by my workplace and also I wish you would just make a decision so I can get to the other 15 people in line.

Also

>Can I sample 4 or 5 of the beers you have on draft before ultimately going with your initial suggestion?

This one is more reasonable from their point of view because we charge a good amount for draft beer but it's still annoying

kek

i manage a restaurant myself. these should be the kind of things that are handled internally. why are you emailing HR? is mcdonalds that badly handled? why aren't these things being reported and properly documented inside your store? why isn't disciplinary action being committed? if they are, then why isn't anyone following discipline? sounds like absolutely everyone in there is way too comfortable in their positions, feels like they're too good for their jobs, and under-performing because of it. they need to learn the world doesn't owe them a single microbe of fuckall.

if writing to corporate is the only way to get a professional auditor in there to point out their horseshit and cause their terminations, then you're doing the right thing, but in my business these retards would have been fired already.

my restaurant gets regular audits that points out the pettiest of things. it keeps us managers on our toes and not with-taking of bullshit. if you show up inebriated in my business, you're fired, you show up one minute late, you're disciplined or fired. out of uniform? you're not allowed to clock in, fix it, go home or you can't clock in. you underperform: fired. tell me 'no' when i tell you to do something? insubordination: fired. walk outside to get fucked up or have a smoke? walking off the job: fired.

fuck your dogshit employees. they're ungrateful for what they have and they're ruining the business you work your ass off for. document their mistakes, misdeeds, violations and fucking fire them for it. there's a million eighteen year olds waiting to enter the workforce at less pay than you pay those useless fucks. it's a revolving door. use it god damn it.

>using banned substances (weed, grass and Marijuana)
Those are all the same thing.

posting again. i have a feeling you're in a position i was in once not long ago and i want to give some advice that took me way too long to learn on my own. i'm assuming you're a shift leader, new to your position and not certain of your duties, not having been trained to hire or fire due to incompetent management, you may or may not even have that power to fire: my best suggestion is to first inquire with higher management how you can possibly formally discipline your workers, so that there is written documentation for why they had to be fired. get that information. now you have an official way to get them off your payroll. be as inquisitive to your role as a leader as you can be. be familiar with all workplace policies by heart before deciding to fire. if there's no drug-free workplace policy, ask for a random drug test instead. if they refuse to take it, they're gone.

your goal as a manager is to make the business run as efficiently as possible. your employees should be meeting you with this sense of direction. if your employees aren't helping to meet this goal you must give redirects, coach and point out improvements on a daily basis. if you aren't doing that, then there's a primary reason why your employees are under-performing; they don't know any better. they're basic beings that don't understand the power of hard work. they don't know or want the desire you had to get your position. if they aren't going to earn more than minimum wage, then they aren't going to do more than the bare minimum of work. they're a product of this terrible generation. they were brought up on social media. they think they're more important than they really are. if these types of people are plaguing your workplace, then you utilize the tools to rid of them. writing to upper management is too inefficient and too slow. just deal with it internally.

I think you missread man, dude isnt in management, he talked to management and they did nothing. Poor guy is probably doing grunt work and has no power. Probably the only things he can do now is send this email or quit.

I thought I mentioned that management don't care, most of them are good friends with one another and don't take my complaints seriously. Heck they don't even do the basic checks half the time. For example there was no handwash for a few hours but did anyone say? How were people washing their hands if at all?

I also found pests and one of the shift managers brushed it off saying they probably came in during the delivery when they were found under the toaster along with food waste that had been there for god knows how long.

Exactly, I can't do anything without murdering someone. 90 percent of the staff should be fired and trained to high standards because the current trainers aren't good enough.

>Mc Donald’s Donegall place (located in Belfast, Northern Ireland

wut

>live in shithole ireland
>boo hoo muh knives

i hope you get stabbed to death

I'm not a drugs person, how would I know thar

Name of restaurant and location

What's your problem? Also it's not even dangerous so they don't need knives.

my problem is shitfucks like you thinking they get to dictate other peoples lives

>well, ***I*** don't think your reason for doing something is good enough, so you need to stop doing it, regardless of the facts of the situation

get fucked, commie

They are allowed in the workplace, plain and simple. They employees are also shite, no argument about that. They hire the worst kind of people too, only a few care about their job and workplace like me. No wonder our store only makes money during December.

Not allowed

So what?

>oh man, my life is dangerous enough that i feel the need to carry a knife
>>>>but i guess i'll stop because my boss said so
>>>>>>>>>>>>>even though he's not the one getting hurt because I left my knife at home

i hope some drunk muslim rapes you too

Idiot.

You ate such an idiocy, what is behind you reasoning? And Muslims? There are none in Northern Ireland. They carry them so they can feel cool, it's just chav/thug culture.

triggered losers detected
it's still none of your business

must suck being so shitty that even chavs make you feel insecure

When I worked in the restaurant industry for minimum and low wages I absolutely didn't give a single fuck about any rules or regulations. Yes I dropped shit on the floor, yes I never washed my hands, yes I fucked up your order ON PURPOSE you fucking cunt for ordering 10 $1 burgers during lunch hour. And YES I STOLE MONEY OUT OF THE REGISTER DAILY WITHOUT RINGING ITEMS UP AND LEFT WITH 60-120 EXTRA PER DAY IN CASH.

Didn't pay me near enough to give a shit. Glad I went and got a degree so I don't have to make money for my (((boss))).

>work graveyard at Taco Bell
>man comes through drive-thru three times
>tries to give us a week-old receipt from a TB on the other side of town for a remake
>then claims he's a Gulf War veteran, not a naturalized citizen, and doesn't know how money works
>third time manager tells me to pull the shutters down and stay away from the windows
>he drives through, bangs on the window with a tire iron until the window spiderwebs, then speeds off
>took two hours for cops to show up
>security cameras are so bad that we couldn't read his license plate at all
Didn't take me very long to quit after that.
Fuck any company that's not willing to put in effort to protect their workers at all.

Seriously?

And people like you ate the reason we have shifty employees. Set some standards.

yeah m8 ur seriously subhuman trash
sorry you had to learn it this way

>Fuck any company that's not willing to put in effort to protect their workers at all.

>manager instructs you properly on how to shield yourself from maniac
>only damage is to company property and not to """workers"""

Oh so your from pol? Literally no argument.

We have security guards. They are brutes though, one of the black ones almost killed some drunk dude the other week and tried to clean up the mess with a mop before the police got there.

Like I said. I wasn't paid enough for what I did. The "go find a place to work they regognize your hard work in fast food and will pay you more" is a meme. They'll higher a shit skin and fire you if you complain. All corporaye businesses who pay shit wages should go out of business and all the fat slob fucks who shop there should get cancer and get gassed tbqh imo

Well I got a 3 percent pay raise for working hard. I guess its just where you work.

Wooooooow a whole entire THREE (((3))) percent. A .25 cent raise!!!!! Wowowowow your (((boss))) must have been very happy with your robotic wage slave sincerity for that extremely generous wage increase.

all the midwesterners are flocking down to my once-humble little city and absolutely tearing it up

they're the rudest people I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with too

Actually it was an increase of 19 pence an hour

I think I focus on the negatives on where I work too much but it fucking bothers me so much that people have little regards to how they serve food to people
>asshats dropping food left and right then picking it back up
>managers are spineless betas that don't do shit about this
>cooks pulling fucking knives on other coworkers in arguments, they're still working here/have not been arrested
>lazy, sloppy linecook I sometimes work next to that never preps, cooks like total shit and proceeds to cry about how he works so hard
>60 year old man with back problems is more productive and hard working than he is and can put out a consistent, good product without whining everytime the ticket printer sounds off
>no real leadership in the kitchen, head chef is also a spineless pushover, much like the managers
>head chef doesn't give a fuck and drops shit all over the floor
>the idea of closing at an agreed time is an alien concept to everybody

There's some people that are alright here that make it a bit more bearable. There's one foh chick I want to berry.