Post-Irony; Sam Hyde

Hello Veeky Forums,

Can anyone help me out here? I've read a handful of articles and of course the Wikipedia page on post-irony and I still haven't really found a firm definition on post-irony. Does anyone know of some good arguments for post-irony? Against?

Thank you,

user

P.s. This stems from watching Sam Hyde's stand up routines and being curious as to what exactly the hell he is up to. If anyone could clarify that would be helpful also. Please feel free to share any and all takes/opinions on either of these subjects.

Other urls found in this thread:

jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg
youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Help Veeky Forums I don't understand my racist anti-comedy meme man!

You are stupid bro

Either you get it or you don't. And it's not fucking called post-irony.

Alright, how would you define it? I'm not saying I didn't laugh, I just want to know more about the reasoning behind his comedic styling.

>that girl
>takes an innocent photo with her grandfather to get support from her friends and family

>people like OP
>share the picture around the world, mock the girl endlessly, put the grandfather on display for the whole world in an intimate moment in some absurd viral shaming people like OP find funny/cringy

I hate things like the OP pic. It makes me lose hope for the sincerity of and goodness in people, and NOT because of the people in it, but because of the people sharing it.

OP read this:

jsomers.net/DFW_TV.pdf

It's just normal forms of humor laced with cynicism towards American society and includes a anti-hedonistic, pro-right sentiment. There is irony, parody, absurdity, trolling, and just doing things that make themselves and their friends laugh.

"Post-Irony" is such a retarded term that doesn't mean anything, stop trying to squeeze anything you can't fully describe into simplistic academic terminology.

>he thinks there is goodness in people

Shouldn't "Goodness" be something reserved for a minority of people?

Thanks, I am. This is an interesting read so far, not sure if Sam Hyde is post-ironic as of yet, but I'm working my way through this with care.
A) Post-Irony is a meaningless term
-
B) Describe that which you do not understand with academic terminology.

So...

A
-
~B

Let's see if this checks out... NOPE INVALID! Pic related.

Oh please, it's not like making a post about your loved ones dying in the hospital on Facebook is some admirable thing to be commended for. I'm sure she already had plenty of support from those who knew him.

Forgot the pic.

As far as I can tell, post-irony just makes fun of irony the same way that irony makes fun of naive sincerity. It's ironically being ironic.

>goodness

Alright so an example of irony would be going to the local pub and they were only serving water. What would be the post-ironic version of that set-up?

I love how much this board hates Sam desu.

The fact is that he's to comedy what DFW/etc were to books.

Going to a pub that sells non-alcoholic beer.

So far it seems like post-irony is and iterative or abstracting version of irony. Am I wrong? Is the literal or 'old' definition of irony not play-friendly with post-irony?

This is my favourite Pepe.

It's a very nice Pepe, desu. I really like the big teeth Pepe's.

Yeah, I think you're right. Post-irony not only laughs at the irony of a situation, but finds comedy in the fact itself that a situation is ironic.

Wait, you're not a progressive? Um racist and sexist much?

So lets say you go to this bar expecting to get drunk with your friends and you all end up drinking eight or more non-alcoholic beers. The irony is that you went to the bar expecting to get drunk but they were serving non-alcoholic beers. But drinking them anyways and carrying on as if it were an ordinary bar night would be a literal example of post-irony? Like kids smoking oregano and pretending to be high even though they know it isn't weed?

sam's stand-up isn't very good, you should watch him in his pre-alt-right phase

youtube.com/watch?v=8IT2aKGzgrg

Yes, but they are aware of the irony of the situation. Your oregano/weed example is unclear to me. If it's a dumb kid convincing himself that he's high, that's simply irony. If it's a group of broke stoners messing around, well aware that they are smoking something that eill do nothing, it's post-irony.

So would you say that he's making fun of both progressives and alt-right people simultaneously?

I can't for the life of me figure out why people like you put him on such a pedestal. He's not doing anything new or hard to understand.

This board also hates DFW now tho

DFW already had his comedic contemporary. and that was andy kaufmann. jackass, buzzkill tv, trigger happy tv.

He's just another troll comedian, but this time we are in the trolling age so more people like the trolling, shadenfreude humor, just watching someone tease someone else till we get a reaction.

I've also never watch any of sam hydes stuff.
and I don't care to.

Take the heaven-colored pill, m8s

>anti-comedy
No, he just isn't funny.

sam hyde is meh. just watch chris morris on how "post irony" comedy should be done.

video related is you guess which character youtube.com/watch?v=lhAr_UeroCk

Considering how old that is, Chris Morris must have a time machine or some shit. Prescient on so many levels.

Charlie Brooker definitely has one.

This guy gets it. Blue Jam is amazing and everyone should give it a listen.

>This stems from watching Sam Hyde's stand up routines and being curious as to what exactly the hell he is up to. If anyone could clarify that would be helpful also. Please feel free to share any and all takes/opinions on either of these subjects.
I find half of his stuff to be hilarious, and the other half to be incredibly dumb
Post-irony is what happens when you take normal irony to an absurd extreme

These are just dumb hipster jokes people made circa 2010

yes because anti-comedy as a whole isn't funny.

Not everything that isn't funny is anti-comedy. For example, Dane Cook isn't anti-comedy. Sam Hyde is more or less the autistic Dane Cook.

>dumb hipster jokes people made circa 2010
Nathan Barley was 2005 tho. Way ahead of its time.

show was made in 2005

Repeating something that doesn't wash in an awkward loud voice until its rendered humorous is the lifeblood of anti-comedy. The reason you don't think Sam Hyde is an anti-comic is because pretty much every personality on youtube has adopted this sort of humor. Perfect for the Adut Swim crowd though.

>Repeating something that doesn't wash in an awkward loud voice until its rendered humorous is the lifeblood of anti-comedy.
Nah, it is the life blood of Dane Cook routines tho. You like the plebiest pleb shit. No need to build it up into something it isn't.

>shit all over thing
>Hey you like thing! I win argument now

Woodchipper yourself