Update your ledger NOW, this is fucking serious

Update your ledger NOW, this is fucking serious

Attached: EF9A8710-6847-40CD-BC73-3E34E0245FC7.png (600x370, 286K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001340473-How-to-update-my-Ledger-Nano-S-with-the-firmware-1-4
github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kek more info pls?

>buying some chink shit you don't even need

I was going to tonight, do i have to remove my ETH first or does it not matter?

are you retarded

It's fine I locked my BTC near ath at $18k

No, just follow these instructions

support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001340473-How-to-update-my-Ledger-Nano-S-with-the-firmware-1-4

I locked in at 20k no way I'm updating now at 8k
hahhahaha

Kek useless FUD. Nice tried user, fck off.

U thin your eth is inside the stick?

topkek

I know its not you fucking retard I was worried about not having access my ether after the update and being forced to buy another ledger. There have been a shit ton of issues with the update

I don't get what the update was for, was the method used to generate seeds compromised? If not what was affected?

I'm just going to not update. It's literally nothing

did this weeks ago..

dumbass. there's no point in buying these if you aren't going to stay on the newest firmware/updates.

everyone install ledger update that unlocks your prices!

nice try

I don't get why I'd use this proprietary software+hardware to begin with?? It's snake oil.

I locked my BTC at 17k, will this reset the price? Not looking to lose money my dude.

Sits in a fucking box in my room, doesn't need it

What’s the update even for? I’ve locked mine away for a year

yeah well in the future you may need to plug it into an online computer. When that happens it should have the newest firmware and being on the latest updates.

The whole benefit of using these devices is so that you can secure your private key securely without having to worry about keeping your funds on a piece of paper locked away in your room.

If you just want to use your device as a paper wallet then whatever but I would still want it to be safe for the future.

>The whole benefit of using these devices is so that you can secure your private key securely without having to worry about keeping your funds on a piece of paper locked away in your room.
..................except a piece of paper is pretty secure vs a box that could rust and die any day or die to EMP or just die for no reason.

I'm actually looking forward to the posters in the near future who trusted this shit. Would you trust an usb stick? It's the same fucking thing.

Are you dense? The only thing that matters is also a pretty secure piece of paper when using Ledger. The stick doesn't matter shit. If its rusted you just get a new one and restore from that SECURE PIECE OF PAPER.

I want to update it but do I have to do anything special with browser support enabled or better yet anything with the funds in the wallet? (I know they’re not stored in the nano)

And what's the ledger for then? Seems pretty fucking pointless...

Read their step by step guide and nothing can go wrong.

oh great i get through most of the process and now find the update doesnt work on windows 7, are you fucking kidding me

I wrote that too fast.

the point I was originally trying to make is this:

A hardware wallet lets you interact with your funds without exposing your private key onto your computer.

It has the same security as a paper wallet except it has this added benefit of accessibility.

If the person I was replying to simply wants to keep their ledger in a box forever, that is fine but you aren't taking advantage of the product. In this case, you may as well just use a paper wallet instead since that is how you are using the ledger wallet.

You clearly don't understand how hardware wallets work.

Hardware wallets are essentially paper wallets but you're able to access your funds on the fly using signatures and encryption. The device can be stolen, destroyed, lost, etc. As long as your device is secured with a pin code, they cannot access your funds and you are able to recover your own funds with your recovery sheet.

Hardware wallets let you interact with your funds without exposing your private key to the computer..

it's so you can keep the piece of paper in a safe place and don't need it to sign transactions, because the ledger can sign them without exposing the private keys to a potentially hacked PC

>the ledger can sign them without exposing the private keys to a potentially hacked PC

Attached: voting_machines.png (740x304, 48K)

pretty much this your funds are completely safe as long as your recovery sheet is safe. You don't need to re-enter your recovery sheet either unless you are below firmware 1.3 I believe.

just did it. easy peasy.

Well you have to confirm sends by pressing buttons on ledger. So if someone has control of your pc they can't move funds unless they physically press ledger as well

Buying a ledger was one of the most retarded things i've ever done. just run a full node

I see. ... sounds ok I guess.

But aren't you worried about the guy who made the ledgers running off with your funds eventually? Nothing stops him. You stopped being your own bank.

You literally had to have the concept of hardware wallets explained to you less than five minutes ago and now you're attempting to bash them with an irrelevant xkcd comic. Great, cool post.

Ok sweet thanks. I’m assuming I have 1.3 since I got it in like december

wait seriously?
what the fuck

>bash them
Yea nah you're just an idiot desu. Thanks for your explanation but, true to an image board dweller, your ability to read someone's intention is 0.

I did get it to work, have to go into device manager and update the usb device with the yellow exclamation point (automatically search) this was in the FAQ's section

You could say the same thing about software that creates paper wallets, about software that creates brain wallets, about exchanges, online wallets or software wallets, etc. etc.

At some point you'll have to trust something, and if its on a connected PC or smartphone then it's a lot less trustworthy than a segregated gadget.

They don't have the private keys.. Every time a private key is generated it is done through hard and trusted encryption. Go watch a video of a ledger being set up.

.I mean the comic is entirely irrelevant so I have no idea what the fuck you're saying anymore. You didn't know how hardware wallets worked anyways so whatever.

>I'm actually looking forward to the posters in the near future who trusted this shit. Would you trust an usb stick? It's the same fucking thing.

Yes if... but you can simply use an air gapped linux pc. No need to trust the ledger if it's really about storing funds. But I get the point for using public computers (I think).

>Would you trust an usb stick? It's the same fucking thing.
No it's not. A USB stick gives your computer full access to the private keys so any hacker can read them. A ledger does not.

Yeah, a ledger is not for storing funds. For that you just need the seed phrase on a piece of paper in a bank safe.

The ledger is for making transactions without needing that piece of paper all the time, so that it can remain in the safe.

I'm quoting someone else.

>I'm actually looking forward to the posters in the near future who trusted this shit. Would you trust an usb stick? It's the same fucking thing.
you realize that a ledger nano IS also a paper wallet right? If it dies, you still have your paper wallet that it created. Only if it gets hacked you are fucked.

>you just need the seed phrase on a piece of paper in a bank safe.
>a bank safe

Attached: 1501307646339.jpg (720x707, 26K)

yeah but what is easier? hacking a computer or hacking an offline device in cold storage behind multiple layers of encryption?

>hey guys I have no idea how a ledger works but I'm still going to adamantly give people advice
It doesn't matter if your ledger gets destroyed, it uses an open source algorithm to generate your keys from your seed. It's also infinitely safer than a regular USB stock.

>it uses an open source algorithm to generate your keys from your seed.
Do you really know that the software on the ledger is the same as on their github or whatever?

the software isn't the same, the algorithm is, you can literally put the seed phrase into electrum and it'll have your coins, except now any hacker can also get them

You can input your seed into the algorithm yourself and see that you will get the same key pairs as what the ledger shows you.

yeah though it'd be best to do that with a different phrase than the one that holds your actual coins

>hacking an offline device
I've been thinking about attack vectors. Has anyone done an analysis of this yet? I'm thinking it'll either be one of the following.

A vulnerability that exposes the private keys or seed phrase over the USB protocol, which would require well-designed defensive firmware programming to prevent.

Or hijacking a firmware update to upload a hacked firmware, which would require the ledger to verify download signatures before a firmware update is accepted and installed.

>A vulnerability that exposes the private keys or seed phrase over the USB protocol, which would require well-designed defensive firmware programming to prevent.

My impression is that this is impossible because the ledger never reveals your keys. It only takes in an unsigned transaction and outputs a signed one, which doesn't reveal any information about your keys.

Try to sell them for 18k when people can get them for 8k now

>the ledger never reveals your keys
Well it SHOULDN'T be able to reveal the keys, but if it has a security vulnerability in this code then it could reveal the keys when exploiting this.

I doubt it has something like a hardware lock that makes the keys inaccessible to its own firmware unless the confirmation button is pressed, and firmware like that can often be subject to buffer overflows and other shenanigans. It all comes down to how robust the firmware is to malicious USB packets and stuff.

These hardware wallets need to allow a last personalized seed word by default.

Nothing stopping you from replacing a word in the seed phrase with your own, or rolling your own phrase independently from the software, however it all needs to come from the allowed list of 2048 words or the algorithm will not work
github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/english.txt

setup an air-gapped computer that has never touched the internet. de-solder or disconnect any wireless internal antennas or network cards. setup linux but compile everything from source code yourself, and audit all source code first. setup a paper wallet generator using a cryptographically secure source of random entropy.

transfer your BTC to the public key address you generated offline for your paper wallet. now your coins are safely stored offline and can't be hacked. the next step is critically important. take your paper wallet with BTC on it, and the next time you feel the call of nature, wipe your ass with that paper wallet and flush it down the toilet because that shit is worthless.

haha jokes on you, i dont use hardware wallets because they have a history of failing and permanently locking up crypto that no one can ever recover! stay poor hardware losers!

>not locking on 5x margin
kys newfag

Since everything is crashing, when will ledger make a discount on nano?

It sure is a useful thing, but a poorfag such as me can't afford spending $100 on this glorified usb stick

Are there any alternatives to nano for holding ethereum tokens?

this
you can only get problems from updates
Never in my life have I installed any windows updates, I disable that shit right after I install the system aways

Not a single problem since I owned my first pc as a kid

Unless you have reason to believe your safety deposit box is more likely to be robbed than your house, the bank is probably safer

Kek

>doesn't know you can lock BTC price with a ledger
kek you fucking brainlet

They do. At least Trezor does.

Trezor, it is 100% opens source and better than ledger.

real chad stores all his funds on cryptopia with remembered password and no 2fa for maximum access efficiency

absolutely this

I've heard of multiple Trezor hacks. I would have bought it already otherwise.

Also, I have just checked and neither Amazon, nor the official site, nor even the Czech dealer ship to Russia.
We have some unofficial ledger stores in here, but fuck this shit and they charge 150 euro for a basic nano.

I'll buy them for 18k if they're guaranteed locked. The ones on the open market could still drop they aren't as valuable.

bump. thanks ma nigga.

Attached: Sonicwut.jpg (394x298, 30K)