Just got a new cast iron skillet for Christmas. What should I make?

Just got a new cast iron skillet for Christmas. What should I make?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6648-dutch-baby
youtu.be/PBzQpH1fFFo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

make a trip to the store, return it, and buy a macchicken

Also should I season it? The package said it was pre seasoned and I dont know if I should believe that

Might as well ask in this thread. I have a wok, kept it oiled and properly cleaned but it went into storage for a few months and came out a bit rusty. I reoiled it right away but what is the best way to remove the rust? I'm trying to avoid scratching the shit out of it.

Bacon. Do it at low for about four hours, flipping halfway. It's the most airy bacon you'll ever have.

Filter through a paper towel into a mason jar to save that great cooking fuel.

I would just wash it in soap & hot water using a light scrub pad. Then dry it with a towel & oil it again. I wrap mine in newspaper when not using them.

If they say it's pre-seasoned, roll with that. If you notice that it's starting to get rust spots, then say "What the fuck" and season it.

If you don't know how to season, look it up on the internet. Or cook a pound of bacon in that bitch.

Is bacon the secret??
I have a pound and a half of thick cut bacon in the fridge and I think I'm going to cook all of it

drop biscuits like Mamma used to make

Paella. With whole grain. Brown rice will need to be pre-cooked a bit because it takes so long. Millet cooks as fast as white rice.

New cast iron isn't ground/polished like the old stuff, so it will never be as good as teflon. Don't obsess over it. Just half-heartedly scrape and wipe. It's cheap and replaceable.

I think cast iron is redundant for this
Just place bacon on a baking sheet or similar and toss it in the oven at 250F for an hour or two

I love me some pork chops or for getting a quick sear on some minute steaks, though most dishes are better served with an enameled cast iron or a stainless steel pan

roast potatos in that skillet. Nothing crisps up and browns poatoes like a cast iron skillet. It's also a good way to put some additional seasoning on the pan.

>What should I make?

your smoke detector go off.

Bacon and potato hash - great for eating and seasoning.

Bacon is the secret to everything.

Thanks user. I tried to season them and the oil dripped past the drip pan and lit a fire in my oven.
Theres a lot of smoke everywhere

>roll with that
Fucking liars "preseasoned" my ass
A god damn egg got stuck to it.

i love when my prophecies come true

Use it exclusively to cook potatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers, celery, carrots, garlic, fried eggs, and seared steak.

You're using WAY too much oil

you're gonna wait an hour or two for bacon?

Fry some mother fucking chicken bruh

or bake cornbread using the skillet as the baking dish

Hey OP, this guy:
is completely right. You'll end up with gooey and sticky patches if you use too much oil when you're seasoning it.

This video is all you need to know about cast iron maintenance: youtube.com/watch?v=KLGSLCaksdY

Make a dutch baby/german pancake

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/6648-dutch-baby

THIS.

potstickers, if you really, really want to understand the meaning behind the name

Guy he's quoting, but four hours. Try it out. The best I can describe it as is airy and crumbly.

(remember to strain the bacon grease into a mason jar)

Not OP but this was helpful, cheers bud

I've sent people to intensive care for good bacon. Never get in the way of good bacon.

>Just got a new cast iron skillet for Christmas. What should I make?

cut off the handle and use it as a frisbee

rainbow trout skin on

I bet this was really funny in your head

Make some cornbread with bacon grease as the oil

I use bacon grease to season my pan and it works perfectly fine. You can get it glossy enough to see your reflection if you invest the time.

youtu.be/PBzQpH1fFFo

Probably should of done more research.
Still in oven at this point.

*should HAVE

**should've

Dutch Baby or Pineapple Upside Down Cake

should'f

ha ha ha, actually at that time it was you are correct
especially knowing how heavy they are

>heavy

Noodlets, please - have some strength in your wrist.

If my pan is properly seasoned, do I need to put on any oil when cooking eggs?

Yes, you always use oil. Oil isn't just for non-stick purposes, it transfers flavor and it also fills in the tiny gaps between the food and the cooking surface for better heat transfer.

The only time you don't use at least some oil (or butter, etc.) in a pan is when you're dry-frying spices prior to grinding them.

I'm not sure if you are aware of that but don't wash your cast iron pan with soap and water (unless something really stuck to it),
after using it, just wipe it (I like to use the blue shop towels, they work so great in the kitchen,you can dry them and reuse it if you just pick up some water with them).

Best is to wipe the pan is when is hot/warm, if gets too cold to wipe it I just pour bit of oil on it and warm it up
(just don't turn high heat on if you are going to walk away from the kitchen, turn medium heat just enough to warm the pan),
it works like a charm for me with the blue shop towels, they are strong and very absorbent and don't fall a part like regular white paper towels do.

Wash it, heat it, wash it again.

Corn bread

1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 Cup All Purpose Flour, sifted
3 Tablespoons Sugar, granulated
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Egg, Beaten
1 cup yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup water or 1 1/2 cup of buttermilk
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature

Preheat oven and skillet to 425
Mix ingredients
Use butter to grease the pan
Add mix

Cook at 425 for 20 - 30 mins or until brown

I just got a carbon steel pan and the directions to season were potato skins, salt and oil.

imo it worked very well