HPG/: Harry Potter General

HPG/: Harry Potter General

What is your most comfy memory of reading Harry Potter?

Which location in Harry Potter would you most like to visit?

~~~~SORTING HAT RULES~~~~

0 - 1: Gryffindor
2 - 3: Ravenclaw
4 - 5: Hufflepuff
6 - 7: Slytherin
8 - 9: SQUIB!

It was funny the first time, but you can fuck off now.

What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

Is anyone elses favourite book from the series Goblet of Fire?

I think I'm the only one ;_;
All my normie friends say it's their least favourite.

OP here. I actually think that was my favorite book, I don't remember much from the series overall but when I found that book in my home recently it made me feel very nostalgic.

Top 10 Comfiest Harry Potter Locations:

1. Gryffindor Tower
2. The Great Hall
3. The Burrow
4. Hogsmeade
5. Hogwarts Express
6. Hagrid's Hut
7. Dumbledore's Office
8. Diagon Alley
9. Room of Requirement
10. Cupboard Under The Stairs

Wind in the Willows is great

I read it but honestly remember very little about it. When Hermione fought for the rights of dwarfs or gnomes or whatever, that was fun.

A fantastic end to the series, with the different characters having to leave Hogwarts and enter the adult world (a scary place!). Hermione, true to her character, becomes a sort of lawyer fighting for the rights of house elves. Ron of course had grown up in the magical world and was not taught that house elves should be treated as equals, but Hermione, a muggle-born, was shocked at the treatment they received!

Standing in line to buy the last book at the midnight release with the girl I had been crushing on for a few years, then just sitting together not reading the book talking. We both started reading the book together on the bus. It felt monumental. The end of an era and I was sharing it with her.

We're still very important to each other, I hope I see her this weekend actually.

>you will NEVER live on a small quad of old stone buildings with leaded windows
>you will NEVER steer a gondola as your qt RP-accented gf giggles and tells you not to crash
>you will NEVER take a walk along the river with your qt privately educated girlfriend on a frosty February
>you will NEVER attend a formal ball with your qt Hermione-esque gf who blushes when she sees your reaction to the dress she's wearing
>you will NEVER have an hour-long discussion with a jaded, witty professor who finds you "utterly intriguing" and leave his office to find your qt gf pretending to read an advertisement pinned to his noticeboard
>you will NEVER ride old-fashioned bicycles across cobblestone streets beside your qt gf and laugh as you speed down a hill with your legs outstretched
>you will NEVER share a cheap bottle of red wine with your qt Home Counties gf while listening to Cocteau Twins in her dorm with candles providing the only light
>you will NEVER arrive a little late to a raucous, controversial debate at the Union and sneak in with your qt gf, ducking and offering whispered apologies as you make your way to some spare seats
>you will literally, unironically NEVER take a slow walk beside your qt vaguely artistocratic gf through the fallen leaves of a quiet park and make her smile as she clutches her coursebooks across her chest
>you will NEVER sit in a small concert theatre and watch your qt gf playing viola and experience a overwhelming feeling of pure love for the girl you one day hope to marry
>you will NEVER run through heavy rain to your qt elite gf's dorm and have her hug your drenched coat and hair as you provide whispered encouragement about her exam the following day
>you will NEVER stand on the lighted porch of your home watching your parents through the frosted glass as they approach to open the door and feel your bookish gf squeeze your hand a little tighter
>you will NEVER read Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in bed with your refined intelligent gf and try to stop yourself from laughing as she adopts different and exaggerated accents for the characters she's voicing
>you will NEVER sit at the dinner table in your qt posh gf's home and have her mother express her genuine shock at the fact you're from a poor background and have her father respect you a little more for turning out the way you have despite that
>you will NEVER sit up in bed still half-asleep and slowly unwrap one of the gift's your qt attentive gf got you for your birthday and have her stand with her hands behind her back with her lips pursed in anticipation of your response to the books she has spent time researching in the hope they will be ones you enjoy

bump3

Harry isn't sure exactly what he had planned to say, but the soft sigh of surprise that falls out of his mouth definitely isn't it. For a moment, he fails to react, allowing Draco to take advantage of his parted lips and flick his tongue into his mouth, sending his stomach into freefall and sharpening the sigh into a quiet moan. Startled at the sound, Harry pulls himself together and kisses back, pulling his hand away from Draco's and threading both into his hair, needing just a tiny bit of control, even if they are still circling slowly, and even if Draco's tongue is stroking his and Draco's hands are sliding inside the back of his trousers and Draco's hips are pushing hot-firm-desperate against Harry's growing erection.
Breath catching hard in his chest, he weaves his fingers more tightly into Draco's hair and deepens the kiss, pulling gently at his lower lip with his teeth and revelling in the groan that means he isn't the only one spiralling out of control. Still, with the fierce, messy mesh of their tongues, the fingernails scratching heat into his buttocks, the blood pooling and aching in his groin, he has no idea how he's still standing up.
And then, of course, he's not. He feels the support of his knee dissolving beneath him and the swoop in his chest that always precedes a fall, but this time, he doesn't connect with the floor. Blinking and somewhat disoriented, he looks up at Draco, who has managed to catch him against his chest with hands under his arms and a knee wedged between Harry's. The position is precarious and slightly uncomfortable, dangling from his armpits with his cock throbbing painfully against his tightened trouser fabric, but there's something about the calm expression on Draco's flushed face that makes Harry think he is well-practised at this.

This.
Let's all remember that bronies started out as ironic before becoming actual autistics.
We must abort this harry potter shitposting before it becomes real.

>You will never pour out the best portion of your life in a small office in the City, churning numbers for the bank and gradually forgetting the thrill of youth while you pursue a numbing lifestyle of bourgeois affluence but without character.
>You will never wonder where things went wrong as you start to suspect that your wife, who volunteers at the church and with the WI, is having an affair with the new, young choir dirctor.
>You will never know the ache after your wife confesses the truth of the relationship and leaves on a stormy night, yelling "He makes me feel things I forgot I could feel!" while you turn, numb from cheap booze, and throw the copy of Caton a Hot Tin Roof against the wall.

rolling
No one is asking you faggots to be here just hide the thread.I have been looking for a place to discuss things recently due to my returned interest in it due tot he new book and going to Universal Studios. Also the new movie.
Yeah GoF is the best for me.

>7
Prefer Ravenclaw but Slytherin is second best.

Grindelwald did nothing wrong
Muggle genocide best day of my life

me too

Listened to a bit of Harry Potter and the Sacred Text. Interesting idea for a podcast.

>and going to Universal Studios.
Read Simulacra and Simulation and come back.

And there's almost certainly a subreddit.

Anyone hear the Jim Dale Audiobooks? Dude is great at playing the different characters and each character, even small ones has a unique voice.

>certainly a subreddit.
But it's reddit though.......And they get cringey most of the time.

>White Privilege: The Mirror of Erised
k

>But it's reddit though.......And they get cringey most of the time.
You're already unironically discussing Harry Potter bro. I wouldn't get all snooty about reddit.

And? Just because you think you're too cool for it on fucking Veeky Forums doesn't mean they're bad. Fun reads witha cool world. JK Rowling just can't world build for shit and there are tons of things left to be desired.

I want to try Butterbeer

>JK Rowling just can't world build
Out of all the problems you pick world building?

And why so pretentious?
>admits they feel too cool for reddit
>also admits the apparently cool place (kek) doesn't like Harry Potter

>cool world
No. It could have been. It's not.

The only place that actually talks about Hp on a very rare moon is v and they get shit because they end ip talking about the books and say lit is too pretentious about it. I came to see if they were wrong and they weren't apparently. If you don't like it fuck off how hard is it to hide a thread?

>Harry Potter fans forced to post in Wow. That's quite funny.

I wouldn't really care about HP threads if anyone said anything interesting, but it's p much "I went to universal studios", "I want to eat/drink magic food" or something equally cringeworthy. And then a lot of the rest are HP fans complaining lit isn't some kind of safe space.

Read the first book when I was too old. Got bored and dropped the series

Roll

>I wouldn't really care about HP threads if anyone said anything interesting
So what exactly is interesting to you? It shows you actually like it but are put off by certain things.

I grew up with the books and 3 main actors so it has a special part in my heart. Kind of like growing up watching Dragon Ball with Goku as a kid and coming up all the way to the current era of dbz.

I'm just happy enough for pleb shit to say something interesting. Adorno and Horkheimer waxed lyrical on Donald Duck cartoons and Baudrillard really really liked Disneyland. There's bound to be something of value to talk about in any popular pile of trash.

I quite like the weird relationship Rowling has with the work she can't put down or let go. I wasn't interested in reading it as a kid tho, and now as an adult it'd be stupid to read it. If I ever did I'm p sure it'd be some kind of infantilisation due to a mental break or something.

>Baudrillard really really liked Disneyland
I just read that bit on Disneyland and he's right. You get that vibe off Universal witht he Harry Potter attraction,along with that wish every fan has of going to Hogwarts and such. Only a soulless person wouldn't want to receive that letter.That escape to a new world and leave this shithole behind. All imagination and the fact that it sounds like a comfy world.

I get the impression that Universal Studio's Harry Potter thing is aimed, with no pretense, at adults. So Disneyland is a place where little children can escape the adult world, but also the adults who take them. Whereas there is no division between chaperone/guardian and child in the Harry Potter attraction.

That seems to have been a thing since near the beginning with HP: I remember Radio 4 airing letters around 2002 or 2003 with people hoping a time would come where they could read HP (a children or young adult novel) at their local book club. So there seems to be a desire for adult readers to fulfill a kind of child life through literature in general, suspect that's a large part of the success.

What went wrong with JK Rowling:

She became unfathomably rich. Lost all touch and contact with the real world. Discovered Twitter. Replaced the real world with Twitter. Now she thinks Twitter is the world, and doesn't realise there are people outside the echo chamber who might have differing opinions to those inside the bubble.

I lost all respect for her. She called people like me, a fan since 1997 a racist for not liking black Hermione.

Voldemort did nothing wrong.

>tfw you will never be so bitter and contrarian that you sperg out at Potter threads on Veeky Forums

feels good

Is Veeky Forums dead guys? These insufferable faggots and (literally) children are getting away with a HP thread.

HP is literature. It is bad literature, but it is still literature. Generals are there to prevent 10s of HP threads.

Would you like to make it go away?

I feel that doge feel too.

see

I know that feel. They have r/books and now they want Veeky Forums.

I enjoy the implication that not wanting everything to be homogenised (contrarian) is "sperging".

Omg I just realized OP is being for realz.

>What is your most comfy memory of reading Harry Potter?

Putting it down after 50 pages and saying "this is absolutely shite".

>If you don't like it fuck off how hard is it to hide a thread?

Not nearly as hard as it is to avoid reading stories about it in the newspaper every time that fucking hack coughs up something and posts a pic of the results on twitter.

People act like she invented writing. She didn't even invent Harry Fucking Potter.

Its my favourite too. Either GoF or the Deathly Hallows are the GOATest Harry Potter books.

I can't remember the fine details of each book anymore though.