How does Veeky Forums deal with words you don't know? And before you say hurdur the dictionary...

How does Veeky Forums deal with words you don't know? And before you say hurdur the dictionary, I ask this in broader sense. Do you keep a list then check them? Do you try to deduct the meaning from the context? Or do you go plain ol' ignorance is bliss style?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4LjDe4sLER0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I usually just try to deduct the meaning from the context, but it's a bad habit since it doesn't really expand one's vocabulary. That said, some words just stick in your mind long enough to look them up.

I immediately pick up my phone and look it up, then continue reading.

>mfw have an e-reader
>mfw I can mark words and instantly get an oxford dictionary definiton of it.

plebs

I use Anki.
Make a new deck. Word on one side, definition on the other.
Helped me increase my vocab while reading Nabokov, though now I have a whole bunch of words in my head that I'll never be able to use because I'll never need to talk about a style of raincoats from the 30s.

>mfw get definition, read it mindlessly, re-read the sentence that it is in and have to get the definition again
>two more times

First I try deducting the meaning. This rarely succeeds, though, so usually I hurdur the dictionary.

only real benefit of an e-reader tb.h.
ib4 space, wouldn't consider it a real benefit since I don't need to carry 10 books around me ever

I'm shit at deducing from context, so I always have to have an internet connected device with me when I read, or I'll just go insane over the one word I don't know and won't allow myself to proceed. When it's a proper noun, though, I'm more likely to just remain ignorant.

I used to write them in my notebook and study them. Now I just gather from context and continue reading. For someone with internet-induced ADD, not interrupting the flow of my reading is more important than knowing the exact definition of a particular word

I do that but thats a problem when im reading something written more than 40 years ago. At least in spanish the language used back then was quite different. I have to stop reading to look for a word every 2 pages.

The real benefit is that most of them have a built in light now. You don't really realize how reading in improper lighting conditions strains your eyes and slows your reading until you pick a front lit e-reader

>written more than 40 years ago.
How fucking fast is Spanish evolving? Shit in English written 40 years ago might as well have been written today

Well, i don't really know the causes, but probably our Falangist goverment back then and the need of a social rupture from that regime helped evolving the language faster. But probably that's a retarded theory, i dont know if something similar happened in italy.

Another problem is that some books are translated to latin american Spanish, and those variants have their differences too.

this is me

i usually carry around a spiral notebook, copy it down, look it up later, and copy it down. i look over the last few pages in my spare time, but i regularly find myself looking up words i've encountered dozens of times. i have several notebooks filled now and continue to do this.

How much has your vocab improved?

Ignorance is bliss.
You can deduce almost every word from context even if its a bit inaccurate.

I just gradually pick them up from context. It's how I learned to understand all words desu

What is the best way to expand your vocabulary without sounding like a pretentious twat?

We all did desu

Read lots of stuff. Don't look for excuses to use big words, and if you use one and someone looks at you funny, just shrug and say "Eh, yeah, I know"

This
youtube.com/watch?v=4LjDe4sLER0