Alain De Botton garbage?

When I first saw his stuff (School of Life, etc) looked someone insightful or at least thought provoking.... Problem is... every time he makes a fucking thought provoking point he invites you into his cult and tells you to check out his shop.

Its always a snippet of something then a "Shop Here for THE ANSWER TO *PROBLEM*"

Has anybody actually read anything by him or bought any books from the "School of Life" shop?

Other urls found in this thread:

samkriss.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/why-does-alain-de-botton-want-us-to-kill-our-young/
youtube.com/user/gbisadler
youtube.com/watch?v=MvylAB8aCaE
youtube.com/user/academyofideas
youtube.com/watch?v=sPOuIyEJnbE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, he has to make a living.

What do you expect him to do? Live in abject poverty because you're a fag who can't handle advertisement when it's about pop-philosophy, but you can when it's about candy or sneakers?

Read his books you absolute fucking retarded nigger. What the fuck do you expect from YouTube videos you asswipe.

his anti romantic talk is top notch

Agreed.

Though as a jaded romantic, it kind of hurts too, because even if I agree, it's pretty sad that even love doesn't have any "magic" anymore and is resigned to the dustbin of cynicism and irony just like everything else.

Not OP but I can't deal with advertisement about candy or sneakers either, genius. And yes, poverty is noble if it stems from a principle about not selling out.

Yeah, but what the hell does "selling out" mean in a society that is all about money in the first place?

And no, poverty isn't "noble". It's horrible and debasing, no matter the cause you fucking romantic idiot.

ignore these le botton cultists

read this instead

samkriss.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/why-does-alain-de-botton-want-us-to-kill-our-young/

i don't know about you but when i realized this, i felt liberated even though i was also a jaded romantic as well. it happened a year before i found that video, so it wasn't shocking watching it, but rather self-assuring
to argue for or against the 'magic' inside the affairs is valid, it just takes different shapes, or no shape

>pop philosophy isn't that insightful

I don't know what you're expecting. He just dumbs down others ideas and reforms them into a self-help format.

shut up faggot no one here is a fanboy of his, just some of his points make sense. no one said he's a philosopher or a sort of cultist leader to be followed, he's a guy with points to make, no shit some of them might make sense
fuck you and the botton jew baldhead
fuck u all

Maybe your society is all about money, mine sure isn't.
Of course it's horrible and debasing, that's why it's noble - because it's a sacrifice.

All societies on this planet revolve around money. Stop trolling.

Also, judging people for choosing not to be poor is fucking retarded.

>it's fucking retarded because I say it's so
Killer argument senpai

is anyone else suspicious of all these general knowledge youtube channels that have been cropping up over the years and doing really well?

who wants to know 10 minutes worth of information about hegel? literally what use is to anyone? or another way of phrasing it; what sort of person only needs to know 10 minutes worth of information about hegel?

Oh you mean a killer argument like: "It's good to be poor because it's a sacrifice, because sacrifices are good".

Kill yourself.

>what are introductions
>what is entry level

If some 12 year old watches this and become interested in philosophy, and one day picks up Hegel's own works due to it - is that not a good thing? It's not that different from skimming through a Wikipedia-article.

It's okay user, no need to get upset. Go wipe of your tears with dollar bills, you'll feel much better.

this is the stock reply

the gateway argument doesn't hold water for me personally, but lets be absurdly generous and say 50% of people watching these videos take an actual interest in philosophy

what about the other 50%? what kind of person do you think that is?

Yes, what about them? How do they hurt you? How is it bad they spend a few minutes of their day watching this? Do you think they'd read Tolstoy and Hegel in those minutes if they didn't? They'd browse Reddit, play Candy-Crush and eat pop-tarts. This isn't a bad thing, this is your bitter pretension only.

Not him, but you're forgetting the almost undeniable fact that most people don't give a rat's ass about philosophy, and why should they?

It's not like understanding Kant is going to make them more money at their engineering or finance job.

The real question should be: "Why should anyone care that a pop-philosopher is making money off of philosophical sound bites on Youtube?"

Hope someone writes an expose on how he and all his stuff is predatory bullshit

OP all of it is definitly bad and wrong

i Have a couple of his books. it all boils down to DUDE IF YOUR FAMILY IS POOR MOST LIKELY YOU'RE FUCKED

his best work is thiseverything else is just pop philosophy. comment section on youtube is cringe full of 1st year atheist who get off overanalyzing his shit .
Checkout these guys instead youtube.com/user/gbisadler
youtube.com/watch?v=MvylAB8aCaE
youtube.com/user/academyofideas

It's more the function of the channels that bother me. I don't think they're about learning at all.

There are people for who 10 minutes of Hegel is enough. I'm just saying these people exist and it's not right.

I can understand studying Hegel for years. I can understand not studying Hegel at all. But 10 minutes of Hegel? It's the effort level of not studying with the ability to be perceived as having studied Hegel for years.

These channels have millions of subscribers, this is a huge market of people (mostly young). What sort of person is this?

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

these are the people who have money dumbass. they ruin society and outnumber us. same people who buy a gym membership and brand new clothes and but quit after couple months. big business banks on these people and it always works.

found the guy who bought the philosophers jumper

>what about the other 50%? what kind of person do you think that is?
I expect they make up 90% of the experts on /lit

CORRELATION NONEXISTENT

kek

it's post-TED infotainment.

the move towards mobile media consumption has created a demand for middlebrow consumable intellectualism. also, reading is becoming increasingly difficult for a large proportion of the population as we have so many instant gratification devices distracting us

ASS TO MOUTH

Life doesn't have to be all about 'progress' and stuffing your mind with as much philosophy or 'worthwhile knowledge'

Have you ever done something without thinking of it as a means to an end? Maybe just done something due to inherently enjoying that thing?

Personally I love learning new things about the world and the school of life videos are a fun way to act on that love, not to say I don't do other things like read

He looks like he'll play with the cum in his mouth before swallowing it.

You're not learning anything though. If you spend 10 minutes learning about Hegel you know about as much as if you'd spent 0 minutes learning about Hegel, you just have some generalised phrases as to what he may have been about but you don't know anything about him.

And it's not about constant progress, I'm not talking about learning about anything here; I'm talking about not learning anything while thinking you are learning.

Link to video?

youtube.com/watch?v=sPOuIyEJnbE

>it all boils down to DUDE IF YOUR FAMILY IS POOR MOST LIKELY YOU'RE FUCKED
>tfw I'm fucked
suicide then?

interesting cutoff point on his twitter pic

Say what you like about him but there's no denying he made some great music in his early career

kek

>but you don't know anything about him.

Sure you do. You know when he was born, where he was born, what he looked like, what his interests were. These may be totally unimportant but to say you'd get the same information from zero mins makes zero sense. Don't you ever open a random Wikipedia page and read for the hell of it, knowing in a couple of hours' time you will have forgotten it all?

>School of Life

there's your problem

>contemporary philosophers

there's your other problem

there is no nobility in poverty, boy

Shitting my pants and walking around all day with flies on my arse and people giving my dirty looks and gagging is horrible and debasing. Truly I am noble.

>Le only old philosophers are good because they're old meme

Please kill yourself.

I think you're talking about your superiority complex more than anything

that picture makes me sad

>Well, he has to make a living.

any philosopher actually worth anything can make a living working as a professor and publishing. if you're a bottom feeder hack artist, you become alain de botton.

>Alain De Botton garbage?
Yes.

>being so new on Veeky Forums you haven't seen that picture before

Welcome, newfriend. How's your summer?

he can starve and die.

i wish you do too.

Haha, fucking newfag.

You don't need money to not shit yourself, retard.

I get alot of my knowlege of the world from wikipedia and google street view

Wow why doesn't he just shave his head. He looks like a fucking idiot with that old-man balding haircut.

Google images of this guy and his baldness look hilariously stupid and I will never read any of his works because of this.

I like his relationship videos. I think it's good to not be so romantic if you want to have a serious relationship. And I don't know if it's a good thing but I take some of what he says to heart when it comes to my relationship (minus the orgy thing. Mostly the "you can't expect your lover to know what you're thinking" and "people act irrationally and them acting like theyre pushing you away might not be them actually pushing you away") Other than that, the philosophy videos aren't that good when you know a philosopher's ideas and the literature videos don't summarize a work at all. But I do enjoy them as summaries into a specific figure's biography. And thinges to digest in bit size pieces when you don't want to go heavily into research. I admit I don't learn anything from his videos but they are entertaining.

>tfw my Christmaseswere like this
Really makes you appreciate what you have compared to what you don't.

His family has a worth of close to half a billion dollars he does what he does for enjoyment

>Alain de Botton looks like a human being as designed by HR Giger.
kek

His "news" book about archetypal stories was all right, he would probably denounce it now because Trump hates the news and he wouldn't want to be associated with him.

At best he is an ugly stoical philosopher trying to meme himself into cult status in case the BBC close up shop.

some are good for refreshing the memory or knowing if it is the right time to dive into that thinker next.

Thing is people think he's a hack because he's exclusively interested in the "self help" side of philosophy. Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing but it does come off as shallow. He's also a filthy liberal.