What does Veeky Forums think of "The Great American Novel of the 21st century"?

What does Veeky Forums think of "The Great American Novel of the 21st century"?

I refuse to read his books because they look shitty and he's an ugly fag.

Is this one of those boring-ass books about a boring-ass middle class American family where one spouse is cheating and the other is pining for the good old days while wasting away in some yuppie profession?

Close.

It's one family has issues with son getting red pilled while eighty pages are dedicated to the wife's wild college sex life.

I liked it. Sue me.

>while eighty pages are dedicated to the wife's wild college sex life.
Isn't it depressing that we live in a world where a teenage girl sleeping with dozens of guys is so normal and quotidian than Jonathan Franzen writes about it?

Is this the same faggot who dissed Oprah cause he didn't think she was smart enough to appreciate his lit?

which is why islam is the only right progression for society

it fucking is.

Pretty enjoyable beach reading material 2bh.

I also got a kick out of some parts of the story being set in jersey city/Hoboken since it's where I live, and mentions some bars that I frequent.

:^)

>having problems with sluts

lol sometimes I forget Veeky Forums is full of virgins

I think Franzen, all his books, and baitfags like you are totally worthless.

>nothing wrong with a venal, present tense culture that cares more about fleeting, ephemeral pleasures than any higher virtue
Nothing wrong with sex per se, it should just be in the context of a relationship

Who are you quoting?

I'm reading The Corrections right now and frankly I think it's excellent. Considering how much Veeky Forums loves DFW and Pynchon I'd have thought Franzen would be popular.

Veeky Forums hasn't actually read DFW or Pynchon.

The Correction was so terrible I took a holy oath to never read anything by that terrible writer again. Seriously his prose sucks, his themes are old and beaten to death, what could anyone possible like about his books?

Also Against The Day came out in 2006, makes a better case for best novel of 21st century so far certainly

I love Pynchon. It actually took me a while to stop trying to write like him. But i feel like DFW tried to do something he really didn't have a clear idea to go about doing and failed in the process.

How does Frozen compare to Pynchon? Is his prose as breathtaking and masterful as Pynchon's, or does his reputation lie in his "vast knowledge of irrelevant shit he throws into the book to impress academics"?

If anything, the fact that he isn't popular here shows that at least some people have read those two because Franzen's best writing is dogshit compared to their worst.

Ready Player One is the Great American novel of the 21st century.

He writes for milquetoast middlebrow readers and is an admitted philistine (read his godawful mr. Difficult essay if you want to see just how much of a pleb he is) who has very vague nonsensical delusions of being part of the "high art literary tradition". The man's a joke that stopped being funny years ago.

/thread

e/lit/ists BTFO!

>The Correction was so terrible
nah, it wasn't that bad. it was a breezy, enjoyable enough read. read a Potter or Patterson novel to balance your scale of quality, as it seems very off, mate.

>Against The Day...makes a better case for best novel of 21st century so far

i agree, but i haven't read many recently published novels.

>it's the middlebrow is bad meme
>it's the author's frankness makes me uncomfortable meme
>it's the another post devoid of valuable content meme

But all that's no surprise coming from a faggot like you.

I've only read The Corrections by him which was a light, enjoyable read. Dialogue didn't seem like his strong suit and he has an affinity for long-winded similes but otherwise it was fine. I'm assuming Freedom is similar?

I liked The Corrections but I do believe there's something seriously wrong with his writing style, zero elegance. However sometimes, like the scene where Alfred is trying to fix the Christmas lights near the end, he strikes gold through his musing.

He dissed Oprah because he realized he'd sold out, and he thought maybe he could unsell out somehow. Don't blame Franzen, blame Oprah's Book Club for having a bad reputation.

If you can get through "Mr. Difficult" without thinking of Franzen as a smarmy hack then you should seriously consider suicide.

If you think being a smarmy hack has anything to do with literary output, you should consider a GED course.

I read for enjoyment and to challenge myself, I won't read any Potter or Patterson novels because they're simply not worth my time. When I started The Corrections my expectancies were pretty high, what I got though was bad prose, a boring story and beaten to death tropes.
It wouldn't bother me so much if Franzen wasn't rated so highly with the literary less educated. Apparently for a lot of people he's one of the best contemporary writers which is just ridiculous.

>Apparently for a lot of people he's one of the best contemporary writers which is just ridiculous.
This. It's clearly Tao Lin

I don't get it. Where did anyone get it in their head that he is considered high brow, only to be let down by his "middle brow" work?

Nice dubs you little cunt.

I can safely say that anyone who reads that essay and thinks Franzen is a smarmy hack will NEVER be paid for anything they write let alone have a readership.

Because he won the National Book Award

i don't think anyone other than Oprah book club members consider Franzen much of anything. i personally enjoyed his prose in The Corrections. yes, it's muddled. i laughed out loud several times while reading it so i guess there's a positive association there. i don't understand when people debase everything about his work. it's juvenile. he's no Shakespeare, but, as i mentioned, he's not the dregs of literature either. it's okay not to like him, though. to each their own.

>calls quads dubs
I can safely say Franzen's fans are all brainless twats, which makes sense since you'd pretty much have to be one to enjoy the kind of shit he peddles.

The Corrections was okay. It really detailed the now almost nonexistent middle-class family in America.

It was a modern American book, with a modern American family. One that didn't last very long due to 9/11, the financial crisis, war and so forth.

Don't take Veeky Forums's advice on contemporary things. You have to remember this board is generally filled with people unable to live in the present, can't keep up a social life, don't understand social media or evolving social norms, reject them and curse them for it, while solely being dependent on some 'golden age' which is basically right up until the day they were born. Their future? Turning around at 40 and realizing they missed their entire generation. They'll forget who they are and quietly will commit suicide once they realize all who they praised had loved and aided in evolving their generation, both the good and the bad, and they had done nothing but waste their youth and potential.

>Don't take Veeky Forums's advice on contemporary things. You have to remember this board is generally filled with people unable to live in the present, can't keep up a social life, don't understand social media or evolving social norms, reject them and curse them for it, while solely being dependent on some 'golden age' which is basically right up until the day they were born. Their future? Turning around at 40 and realizing they missed their entire generation. They'll forget who they are and quietly will commit suicide once they realize all who they praised had loved and aided in evolving their generation, both the good and the bad, and they had done nothing but waste their youth and potential.

Franzen, is that you?

If this is your assessment of Veeky Forums, your reading comprehension is so stunted that you can't even understand Veeky Forums posts.

Fuck it, I'll take it. Published author, well known, probably tapped Oprah's fat black ass.

Hell yeah, I'd be a Franzen-drone.

It's a bunch of women hating, racist, betas with a weak hobby of which they spend more time talking about than practicing. It's literally any board on Veeky Forums except a different topic.

It's odd how you can be this off. This is such a newer person's view of Veeky Forums. Your opinion is easy to dismiss.

I'm this user , not in love with his writing but I think it has its moments. The point I was making wasn't about how good his writing is, it was about how if you can't understand that a person who tries to write like Gaddis won't make a living off writing.

>writers like Gaddis won't make a living off writing.
yeah, i agree with you there. the publishing industry is quite a small club. however, some college and uni presses would publish writers like Gaddis if those writers were also professors. one of my old professors told me that was the only avenue to get his debut novel published.

it's one of franzen's worst books, desu, and he is one of my favorite authors. Purity and Strong Motion are way, way better.

How does JF treat the red pill?

>abloo abloo I just got anally annihilated so I'll call him a newfag

I don't hate women, i'm not racist, I'm not a beta. I read more than I shitpost.
The people that user is complaining about do not exist. The fact you're unaware of this can only be the cause of stupidity or newfaggotry. I was being charitable.

Fuck your higher virtue

How new are you?

I watched TV instead since that's literature too :)

Are you now admitting you were anally annihilated?

>get BTFO
>call someone a newfag
>get called out
>BTFO once again
>reveal how much of a fucking newfag i am
>try to save face
>just look silly instead

literally you above desu

Well lad, you said I started crying and was defeated, so my defense was to call you a newfag.
You then were told you were a puerile fucker. Then you called me a newfag. It only makes sense that you were admitting you were anally annihilated, eh?
You've been on the wrong side of this the entire time.

well lad!

heh.... lets see you say that one more time, user-san.....

**unsheathes katana**
**teleports behind you**
**lets you know your taking yourself too seriously on a cambodian basket weaving forum**

My analysis:

the original comment hits too close to home, triggering intensifies, resulting in anons initial buttfluster.

Now this comment is pretty spot on, but this upsets anons worldview.

Now the reply here is just about the initial response user had, but by now the flustering in his butt is getting to him. He wants to lash out and call the other guy a newfag, but also wants to be taken seriously. So he takes the """""""""""high road""""""""' and just insists user is new. Quite sly I must say lads.

Ah now this is where it gets good. A quick shitpost to put user over the edge.

Good dubs, but saying that women hating virgin muhsogynist betas dont exist on Veeky Forums is pretty silly 2bh. And user admits he reads more than shitposts, it doesnt seem that he is one with the memes.

more shitposting

wew lad. very nice. :^)

nobody cares

Well, lad.

I didnt care too much for against the day but I agree, corrections is trite trite shit. My god what an unorigianl repeating fuck franzen is. If you want to be bored by middle class mediocrity, read rabbit, run.