Holy fuck, that was dark.

WHY AREN'T THERE MORE OF HIS BOOKS TRANSLATED REEEEEEEEE

never heard of this
looked it up
added to wishlist
thx user

I'll wait for the movie instead

been meaning to read

It'll probably fuck up the thematic with Scorsese's own views so I don't think they'll be particularly similar.
Been trying to find The Samurai somewhere. No luck yet.

>so I don't think they'll be particularly similar.
I don't see why not considering how simple a book it is. What is there to fuck up?
>Been trying to find The Samurai somewhere. No luck yet.
I preferred this to Silence. Then again I don't like Endo much, his psychology seems poor in comparison to someone like Dostoevsky so it could have been me having room to enjoy the spectacle that's been absent from his other novels.

>Been trying to find The Samurai somewhere. No luck yet.

how hard have you been looking, exactly?

Scorcese will heresy it up eomehow. I expect him to have a twist on it.
His psychology is on a decent level, but he is much more interesting from a spiritual and theological standpoint imo.

Obviiusy a torrent is what I am after.
I hate ordering stuff online and paying 10$ on shipping

That book seems interesring but I'm worried it's Christ faggotry. Is it?

It is. And if that worries you, literature is not for you.

>much more interesting from a spiritual and theological standpoint imo
I've read three of his books on none of them are very interested in theological matters. Maybe some smattering of personal relationships with Christ in The Samurai but even then it's pretty thin. Unless you want to consider the whole swamp of Japan thing as theological, but that point isn't very interesting because all you have to do is to look at the spread of Christianity into any warrior pagan land to see how bullshit the whole idea is. I also don't think for the most part you can separate his characters psychology from their spirituality. So to call him an average psychologist is also to necessarily comment on his spirituality.

get a fucking job you peasant

Connor that you?
The struggle in Silence is best expressed in the Dying for the beautiul and holy is easy, dying for the sick and twisted is hard. That is what I found very moving, the parallels betwenn the priest ane christ where both wait their execution, but the priest backs out because he cannot stand the idea that others will suffer because of him, while Christ knew he would bring the sword, but somehow managed to surrender himself. As a parallel to the passion of Christ, I found it superb.
But, yes, Dostoevsky has superior psychology.

>if you dont like muh desert god everywhere, all of literature is not for you
Kys senpai

Fuck it im buying it.

Graham Greene Power and the Glory and Hillaire Belloc's Great Heresies next OP

Absolutely, but in a very iconoclastic type of way.

EPUB AND SHARE GOD WILL REWARD YOU
I'm so happy my Belloc shill has fallen upon fruitful ground.
I have to say, I have not noticed much of deviation from the Catholic faith. Deep River aledgedly has something of the sort, but not Silence. It is a struggle of a few men in dire circumstances, the fact that it isn't pure preaching only speaks to the quality of the work.

I may have been napping in sunday school, but the choice he makes at the end probably wouldnt fly with catholic dogma. It is probably the line where you cross from Catholic to catholic.

Characters=Shusaku Endo
I'm assuming we are refering to the end of Silence here.

Characters=/=Shusaku Endo*

I was going to look into this, but you niggas are just marketing this to an uncomfortable level

Looked up what Scorcese wants to do with it and it's different from what I and most articles on Endo saw in Silence, he is inserting his Judas as Rodriguez as parts of the plan of God for salvation.
Endo was from what I gather much more interested in the person of Christ as a man who suffered.
Can anyone shed some light on Deep River and if the moving towards pantheism is indeed what happend in his personal life?

Laurus is better.

Only read Deep River by him and while it was good it could get annoyingly preachy sometimes. How does this one compare?

Kiku's Prayer can be on the preachy side (and objectively a worse novel, but with more colourful portrayal of Japan, where his love for his country is clear as well as being an almost soap-operaish romance that is still somehow beautiful), but I'm a Catholic so I didn't mind.
Silence on the other hand has a priest for a character, and a deeply sinful one at that who betrays his principles, while the ordinary folk walk into death singing basically. It's a book of dark contrasts and very deep consideration on the human side of Christ, not one who sinned, but one who struggled and suffered. The ending is, or at least I see it as such, a contrast between a man and Jesus who goes to the cross knowing he will be followed, while the protagonist convinces himself that renouncing his faith will save others.

i'm glad this book has started getting memed these recent months, maybe this board can finally read some real japanese literature instead of memeing about mishima and memakami all day

Scorcese is overrated trash.
The Departed is an absolute shitshow embarrassment next to internal affairs. It amazes me to this day that somebody who missed the point so completely even wanted to remake such a film.

>internal affairs
Infernal Affairs.
Stupid phone.

I haven't seen him in ages and didn't enjoy him much back when I did, but I'm interested purely because Silence is one of my favourite novels.
And because more epub torrents of his work I hope.

I feel you on the epub thing. Most people seem to like having physical books, but I live in a shitty concrete coffin of a flat, so my opinion differs.

not that guy but honestly it should have been called internal affairs

thr Chinese title is a riff on a Buddhist belief that got conflate with the chinese hell in folklore so infernal is more fittibg

in fact the Wikipedia page explains it

scandal was meh
should i give this a try?

The impact of his literature will largely depend on your own sensibilities, I'd say go for it, I think he is really great.