After wanting a Sous Vide cooker for months I got lucky and found pic related on clearance for $75...

After wanting a Sous Vide cooker for months I got lucky and found pic related on clearance for $75. What should I make first?

Veal

Return it and imho feed to my dog

mac and cheese

i..is that a thing?

You really just put shit in a ziplock and dip that in?

It doesn't need to be some sort of special plastic bag to withstand the temp?

You usually use a vacuum sealer but freezer bags fork fine too

yep, and you can use a $20-$30 slow-cooker or rice cooker

Are you saying I got bamboozled?

>using plastic
>in high temp
>for hours

good luck with that

I highly doubt that a $20 rice cooker will be able to keep the water temperature at exactly 125 degrees for an hour or two. If it is just a little off you will ruin a steak.

I didn't know what I was doing the first time I used my pod and set it for 130 degrees and it was way over cooked after I finished it off in a cast iron pan.

sous vide should be at relatively low temperature, the plastic won't be melting

It is now desu.

yeah there is no way any of the chemicals in the bag will leech on to the food, just look at the chunks of lead coming out of Michigan pipes and the chunks of acid in texas coast. do you even chemistry?

boeuf

they will leech, I am not saying they wont. But the temperatures we are dealing with means the plastic is no worse than usual.

unless the plastic is melting then theres really nothing bad that it imparts, thats why most kitchen bags are plastic

make egg yolk jam, brah.

just throw a bunch of egg yolks and some chili flake into a vac bag and cook at 154 degrees for two hours. blend and add sherry vinegar/salt to taste, maybe a little water to thin it out if it's too thick (don't use oil, because you will wind up with an aoli that took two hours to make).

Fish, egg or chicken breast. Steak is overrated imo. You get a more significant improvement on the texture with the former.

How fucking stupid are you, be honest.

>have someone buy Anova from Target
>trash the box up
>return it a day later
>watch the clearance racks like a hawk for next couple days
>get it on clearance

Feels good man.

I wish blacks weren't allowed to post on this board

how do you equate being thrifty to being black? black people are literally the worst at blowing money on stupid shit.

he's obviously a jew.

something faggy for sure

I like your ideas, jewboy

This. Too smart for a black guy.

Sounds Great

I got one of those about a month ago I'm finding it very nice to use on foods that usually get tough or dry.

I put in a big piece of brisket for like 30 hours and it came out very tender and juicy.

I also like using it with chicken breast and white fish since it's easy to get dry otherwise, but with sous vide they always come out very nice.

Also doing a variant of poached eggs are much easier in sous vide. Just put it at 75 celsius (167°F) for 13 minutes. Crack the egg and out comes a perfect poached egg but alot easier than the traditional way.

If you like eggs, I would say eggs. It's the most obvious thing that really shows you what you can do, and it's quick and easy. Just set the temp to 145 and put some eggs in for about 40 min. Spread on some toast for some of the easiest breakfast you've ever made.
Last night I made some Korean chicken wings using it and they came out fantastic. Cooked the wings in some marinade, then dried them and coated them in potato flour and fried each side for about a minute. Perfectly crispy skin, super juicy tender meat, and you know it's cooked through.

>potato flour

if you want a perfect dredge for coating basically anything in a light, crispy, flavor-neutral coating when frying, use equal parts cornstarch/rice flour/tapioca starch.

it's perfect.

Make a nice steak for your biracial step-son

My favorite things to make with my circulator are short ribs and pulled pork.

Do you ever put things in ziplock bags? If so i've got some bad news.

I can fry eggs in 5 minutes. 40 minutes for scrambled eggs? You've lost the plot kid