"... How Holden Caulfield was some profound intellectual, he wasn't, he was a spoiled brat."

"... How Holden Caulfield was some profound intellectual, he wasn't, he was a spoiled brat."

How do you respond Veeky Forums?

Holden Caufield grew up and wrote the greatest piece of literature, the Recognitions, of the 20th century.

Family guy is shit and I haven't read that book so I don't care. Plus, next time you address me as 'Veeky Forums' I'll fucking end you you fuckING bitch. Got it?

Seth KikeFarlane also believes in the Christian dark ages maymay

I wouldn't call Gaddis Holden. He was pretty normal and relatively happy as a kid. He spent a some time bumming around North and South America as a teenager, but it wasn't for Holdenesque reasons. The views he expresses in The Recognitions didn't develop until his 20s.

>Caring about member in the meme
You have me confused with Reddit.

The reader isn't intended to view Holden as a profound intellectual, he is a misguided child whose world view has been twisted as a result of trauma and abuse. Although he seems cynical, he is motivated by a desire to help people and maintain his integrity. Because of his good intentions and pure heart, the reader should feel that it is tragic for him to be so jaded.

What the fuck does any of that have to do with calling Gaddis a whiny wallowing faggot who calls everyone a fraud

Calling him a whiny wallowing faggot is a sign of having absolutely no clue about him.

You can be both.

>is a sign of having absolutely no clue about him.
You're right, I only read his books.

Read them again in 20 years. Maybe you'll be slightly less retarded next time around.

Nah. Gaddis will still come off as a whiny defeatist then too. Hopefully you will think the same when you get around to reading it the first time.

You understand the book well. It astounds me that even those who love the book see Holden as just a "misunderstood kid" or something when he seems to be close to madness in the book. What is it with Holden that divides people so much? Maybe it has something to do with America's warped views on adolscense.

A special ed reading like yours doesn't count.

Here's how:
>Family Guy

I know with millenials one common complaint I hear is the "He's just a white privileged "spoilt" kid who won't stop moaning"

Do people actually think Catcher in The Rye is a masterpiece, or are they just trying to seem intelligent?

>You're right, he wasn't a profound intellectual. He raped his sister, Phoebe.

He was molested.

You don't need to be molested to have a problem with authority figures. It's actually quite common among adolescents.

>profound intellectual, he wasn't, he was a spoiled brat."
i think he was just a confused kid. i like the outsider reading where holden was just childlike and thought everyone was out to get him.

>erasing the experiences of survivors of sexual abuse

Check your fucking privilege.

Most people who read it are teenagers or young adults, and it resonates with many of them because they read it at that age.

I read it at 19 and loved it, but I highly doubt it would have had anything like the same impact if I read it now.

i somehow never read this book. people tell me i remind them of holden caufield - i always took it as a bad thing even though i dont think they mean it either way. or maybe theyre just roasting me to my face.

I enjoyed it and Holden reminded me a lot of my younger self, but I wouldn't put it as a 'must read'.

Sure, but do you read more books than the people who cite Catcher as a must read?

Don't most of them have a minor interest in reading at best?

>I read books
>I enjoy family guy

pick one