Lit jobs

I got a degree in English but I only graduated with a 2.8 GPA because of depression and blah blah blah the other shit people always say.

I have zero interest in going back to university.

What do you guys do for work?
>inb4 NEET

Have a picture of the Chopin statue in Warsawa I took.

Still studying, so cant help you, but thanks for the pic.
Love Chopin and didnt know this statue existed.

No problem, glad you like it. It's much more beautiful in person

LOL 2.8 GPA

It doesn't actually matter, but it makes me suspect you're a fucking retard so just kys

I'm not a smart man whatsoever. But you didn't answer me, what do you do for work?

Chopin? Great, if you like boring piano music written by a total fucking hack.

Private investigator.

>English graduate
>comma splice

he said it all. kys my man.

I felt like an animated corpse all of junior year and was hospitalized for a psychotic break senior year. I still graduated with a 3.6, and in a far more patrician major than English (who the hell majors in a language they already speak?)

studying but i tutor

Wyjedz na zmywak do Anglii, Polaczku :)

Maybe write articles for some blogs/magazines?

You're a faggot.
How's my grammar there?

I've considered it, not sure how to get into the industry though

I got a BA in Great Books. This fall I'll be starting grad school for an MA in English Lit. In the meantime I work part-time at a clothing store at the local mall, and I also do writing jobs for a local high-end menswear boutique in the city.

I may also be about to get a gig with a major magazine. Fingers are crossed.

I'm NEET. Too scared to go anywhere.

I know you said you didn't want to go back to school but can go back to get a teaching certificate to become a teacher

You can also volunteer for campaigns and work your way up from there and maybe even become a speech writer

i write a memoir about being a future suicide

Navy is the most Veeky Forums job.

I don't think I'd mind teaching high school english desu :)

why user?

Worked for an insurance before going to university. Not working right now and living from savings as student. I'm German though, I already learned a job and have no problem finding work if I want any. Student life is just much better than working.

What is a 2.8 GPA in percentage points? My university just gave me my prevent grade. From what I understand 4.0 GPA is quite high... Like 88-92% but it can depend on the institution?

I want a job where I can work from home that isn't a scam, doesn't flood my email with so many "updates" that I can't unsubscribe from and have had to mark everything from there as spam, doesn't put me in competition with Indians working for pennies and using broken English, and allows me to at least make a bit of money by being somewhat creative whilst not simply aggragating bullshit lists or using a billion different buzzwords or clickbait garbage.

I don't think such a thing even exists, and I feel like where my niches lie (video game critique, philosophy, modelmaking, firearms, history, etc) are sought more by people that just want to watch "lol so funny now I have friends!!!!l" on youtube.

Couple everything, add in some stress from trying to train a new puppy and getting very little sleep, a dash of indecision on where I want my life to go and desperately need it to go so I can feel a sense of accomplishment, and a sprinkle of 'fuck me my peers are far ahead of me most likely and I am an unemployed loser living off my mom at the age of 25', and I am ready to shoot myself.

>tfw want to retire to SEA and live off royalties from writing

2.8 would be about the mid-80s.

>video game critique
There's your problem right there.

Do you already have a degree? I work from home grading tests for ETS, the pay is definitely livable. Usually $18+/hr, depending on which test. The grade school ones pay less, college level pay more. It's generally part time, 20-30 hours a week.

If you get through grad school, you can also teach college courses online for alright pay. Some of those for-profit colleges pay better than "real" colleges if you're stuck adjuncting.

no a 4.0 is all As, or 90 - 100s (scaled)
3.0 is all Bs, or 80 - 89
a 2.8 would be an average that is below 80, so ~mid - high 70s

Depends on if your school considers 75 and below a D (1.0) or not. Mine did, so a 2.8 would have been more likely to be a low to mid 80s equivalent.

dont work at a Barnes & Noble, those people seem like the saddest most bitter human beings I've ever encountered. There's occasionally a lively one but I've heard some bad stories and seen some fucked up shit. One time one of the employees made a mother cry because of how bad they treated her kid.

the actual scale doesn't matter as much, since from what i understand percentages in euro/other country mean very different things

basically as far as GPA goes in most schools, it's almost trivial to get a 3.0 (B average), but very hard (or at least require time/effort) to get a perfect 4.0. Complete retards can get 3.0s just by sitting in class and staring vacantly, and any basically competent person can get a 3.0 without ever showing up to class. A 2.8 is extremely low and takes effort to actually achieve.

I have a BA in English & Philosophy.

I work at an academic publishers, where I basically proofread philosophy books (mostly contemporary and the more obscure older books) most of the time. Since it's focus-intensive work we only work 6 hours a day but on full-time pay. It's a pretty great job. I sit in a cool, quiet, dim room (over-illumination increases eye-strain for me) reading philosophy all day. I recently had to read Thomas Ligotti's book "The Conspiracy Against The Human Race" since we're publishing a second edition. I also correspondent with authors who are writing introductions for our books which can be fun. Right now I'm proofreading a new biography of Philip Mainlander, it's pretty interesting. It's sort of like studying for a degree without having to write essays or sit tests. Very comfy overall.

I plan on getting a degree in early childhood education. I want to become a k-12 teacher. I love books however honestly I hope to become a science teacher. I don't know if I could handle being a generalized elementary teacher, though I love the idea of teaching the joys of reading to children.

that sounds interesting

how did you get this job? what does the pay look like? do you have to live in a big city with high cost of living?

Just one failed course makes it drop significantly.

Must be nice going to a school with GPA inflation or taking an easy as fuck major.

I live in London, UK though I sometimes travel to Oxford for meetings / team days.

I got the job partly due to internships I sought out in the industry and the subsequent experience I gained.

You'd be surprised how many people in life are content to simply drift into whatever job and earn their bread without enthusiasm. If you have a specific goal then it's easier for you to reach it, and others will be more likely to support you if you know exactly what you want to do. I understand if you don't know, but if you do it helps a lot. If you're an aspiring journalist then knowing you want to write about property is way more helpful than saying you just want to be a journalist. Experience trumps academic success. I'd recommend asking for some work experience or internships, making a good impression by getting in early and not simply sitting there quietly doing some task they've given you to keep you busy (i.e. ask questions and seem enthusiastic and ask if there's anything they are doing you can help with), build a portfolio online if it's a public-facing job (journalism etc) and try and make connections.

Remember that one girl or guy in school or college who always seemed to know about grants or money-saving deals or work opportunities before anybody else did? Remember that one person who just seemed destined to make it in their chosen field? They didn't seem that way because they were lazy, nihilistic or suffering from an entitlement complex ("something will show up"). In the eyes of the world you may as well not exist if you just sit around waiting. You have to make a case for yourself, prove to others that you are sociable and reliable, and compete with others who want the same thing you do. Nothing comes easy in this life, not least the best jobs or the best accolades.

Not that user but w2c good internships?

yes but american unis go out of their way to avoid straight up failing you.

its pretty common across all schools. in fact the shittier schools are more incentived to fail students because it means they have to possibly stay for extra semesters to make up courses, and pay tuition.

any "brand name" school has it in their interests to protect graduation rate/average time of graduation, because those numbers get factored into most college rankings.

>simply drift into whatever job and earn their bread without enthusiasm

That's me but I'm not content

Plan in advance. Take a look at the books you own, or walk through the campus library, or ask your tutors (they'll often help you out) and make a list of publishers. Then go to the internet site of each one to see if there is any info about internships. If there is, then either apply or look at the date when applying is possible. If there's no info, send them an email or call their switchboard and explain who you are, what you study, and your reasons for wanting to get into that industry. The KEY THING here is not to DRIFT in life. Living in the moment is fine if you're content to simply drift through life hoping for the best, otherwise an element of self-discipline and foresight is required. My one piece of advice that I wish I'd known earlier in life is that the people working in these places are not much more intelligent than you and are often less so. So try and be smart and presentable, enthusiastic, communicative and grateful for any opportunities given to you. The trouble with a lot of english lit students, including myself way back when, is that you have a predispotion to be creative, and to appreciate creative achievements and values, but you lack a masculine side to your character which reinforces the desire to create with the self-discpline to strong will to facilitate your creativity. My no bullshit advice to you is to get into a routine of waking up early, reading, studying, completing your work, and writing. Organize your day and get all of the embarrasing writing out of your system as soon as possible.Too many young beta white guys lacking a strong father figure allow their potential to be squandered by a casually nihilistic view of the world and a needy, self-pitying impatience because the fruits of their alleged genius isn't handed to them on a plate the same way all their childhood rewards were

My GPA was pretty close to OP's, and I failed two courses one semester due to being hospitalized and comatose for the last couple of months of the semester. They'd have to go very far out of their way to not fail me for that.

Graduate school acceptances were pretty understanding of that, though. I've never had any of my workplaces ask about my GPA.

GPA's don't mean shit in the real world unless you're continuing your studies or going into politics. or i guess for internships. i got a BA in Eng Lit (minor in Art History) with a 3.4. it would have been higher but i got into with with a Caribbean Lit professor b/c i thought her teaching was shit. bitch wanted everyone to speak in patois or heavily accented "black or Caribbean English," her words, for a session. fuck that. plus the novels she assigned were all shit.

anyways, what i do for a living? i write copy for a small ad agency and work in film production on a freelance basis.

I managed to wrangle a freelance job with a publisher in my city. It's small and work is on and off but it's good when it comes through.

So far I write blurbs and edit for them but I don't earn enough to live off yet.

I didn't have great grades coming out of uni and I only got the job because I phoned the managing director and straight up asked for a job. I didn't expect it to work but it did.

How old are you?

Which city?

There are literally two worthwhile lit jobs out there:

1. Working at something at an University (aka being an essayist)

2. Being a writer that can live off his books

That's it.

You can add being a translator to the list if you wish.

Rest is """""journalism""""" which was always a meme profession anyway.

>2. Being a writer that can live off his books

People with multiple books in the New York Time's bestseller list make like 50k a year, that's really nothing you should strive for

Also anyone that translates anything should be shot.

There are many translations that are better than most books, though that sort of skill is very rare and should be respected unless you're a pleb.

If you like to write and can live off something you like to do, there's nothing wrong with it. Then again most writers end up like Joe Abercrombie writing the same shit tier low fantasy novel over and over again, wincing.

>falling for memes

I pity you desu senpai

this is *basically the opinion of someone who has no idea about the workforce, journalism, writing, or lit degrees.

*oops, i meant literally

Who else here /stemlord/?

Feels nice not having to worry much about employment ;^)

a post so astonishingly shit it could only be written by someone with a meme degree

>he fell for the STEM meme

i went for the call center job because i see people working their asses off on the "lit" scene for peanuts.

if you don't have a trust fund - get a real job, earn decent pay, write in your spare time.

I'm still working on my GED but I'm hoping to become a school teacher. Would being an English teacher be a good idea in America? I can't remember if it was math, science, or English that was too overcrowded.

I can never understand why people would do what's in your pic (unless they are an entrepreneur or small business owner).

I'm 24 from Perth. There are only two mainstream publishers here and I got with the smaller one. I could have gotten in with the bigger one but in my application I stressed I wanted to be an author and they said they were looking more for editors. I might try applying again now that I've got some experience. Even if it's only a second freelance contract I'd be stoked.

They do it because if they stop they will get fired and replaced by some other STEMtard who is willing to do the work

Same

Is this what English majors tell themselves so they can fall asleep at night?

i work in the ad industry primarily as an ad writer (copywriter) and also in film/video production in a major city. i live comfortably. i also worked for a local paper for half a year but it wasn't for me. plus, the paper was laying people off left and right and it was only a matter of time before i got the axe. yeah, pay could be better all over, but who doesn't have that complaint? the production jobs i get hired for have amazing perks such as traveling to places i never would have otherwise, staying in resorts, and eating/drinking on their dime. yeah, not in the lit field, per se, but i got the job because of the degree and my writing credentials.

congratulations

It's something I used to do but I don't really play video games anymore. I just figure video games are way more cared about now.

I don't have a degree. I dropped out of college.

I live in a town where the only thing being published here is a newspaper that is garbage and that no one gets.

You can sell your mad literary skills from an English degree to get a job in social services. Work your way up and get an NGO to pay for an MSW.

t. A social worker poorer than some of my clients

Sjc?

Dropped out of university 1/4 way through first year, now working at a used bookshop and part time at a market stall, also selling used books. Shit's cash, our stock is great and the customers are mostly fun to talk to. Retail is the life if you're too lazy to get into academics but can put up a friendly front on demand.

>work minimum wage 40 hours a week to live with other poor people for roommates
No thanks.

Lol wat that's crazy. In the UK anything above 80 is incredibly rare, mid 60s is pretty good.

This aint Waterstones senpai. The second hand book trade is an extremely profitable yet fairly obscure market. This is mostly because most people haven't got the necessary connections, if they do they've come from an antique background and haven't got a clue about literary history. I'm getting calls from people with 1000+ books as a result of working at a shop and a stall. 10% of the lot tends to be out of print and / or first editions that go for hundreds online, the rest you can price at whatever and over time make your money back. I work hard, barely get time to actually enjoy reading or write, but I'm forging a half decent career out of this.

You're right. Upon further reflection I realize my outburst was because of my own insecurities at facing a lifetime of underappreciated underpaid work. Good luck to you.

Ssij mi pupe dziadku

Now, forgive me. I'm not new -- I've been on and off Veeky Forums for the past 6 years or thereabouts -- but can someone tell me what the STEM meme precisely is? I know what STEM stands for, but where does the meme come from?

Anyhow, on topic: NEET because unpredictable and rampant seizures.

How much do you really mean it when you say that though?

lmao it's ok i've been there. While we're being sincere with each other i'm yet to really buy and sell any serious amount of books, i did it once and because of the circlejerk nature of social interaction and family etc I have it in my mind as 'what i do'. Nah. Spent most of today behind the counter with my head in my hands. No matter where you are, the human condition bites. Hope things aren't too shitty your end man.

The STEM meme usually is phrased in this way:

>tfw fell for the stem meme and now I'm making only 70k a year while my companies executive director majored in liberal arts and is making a ton

or

>tfw fell for the STEM meme and can't get a job

It's usually making fun of STEMfags for working way too hard for a degree that doesn't get you much in the long run, mainly because your just a highly specialized worker. Or your just a sperg that can't get a job.

daily reminder degree DOESN'T MATTER only the ranking/prestige of your school

They were essentially tricked into studying hard to get into a VERY over saturated field where they have next to no possibility for growth. That is if they don't spend years fruitlessly trying to find work in the first place.

I graduated with a 2.6 in math. When I got out of uni I got in touch with a staffing agency and worked as a temp agent for an insurance company for a year making 15/hr to get experience. Eventually the company I was temping for hired me and now I just sit at my desk listening to audiobooks and get paid 21/hr.

I highly recommend a staffing agency. They won't do the interview for you but they will give you all the information and help you need to get a job.

>be me
>have BSc in chemistry
>oversaturation of degrees means no real jobs at my level of education hence the need to keep studying
>work for slave driver supervisors in an overly competitive faculty with a noxious academic culture
>no longer enjoy what I was doing
STEM yo

that pic

>all these stem lords who went to shit schools and wondering why it's not working out for them

kek stay pleb

>Implying I went to a shit school

you did

Best posts I've read on this board recently, great advice man. The sad thing is that so little is required for achieving success, but many are stuck in a constant state of lethargy and don't see a goal that is at least partially planned and outlined. If you get your shit together and see the required steps, you will always get somewhere and the experience will build you up.

I didn't

Nice picture OP. I lot less than a 2.0 in high school and I honestly don't want to have anything to do with school ever again, but I still like to read.

i keep seeing this image floating around Veeky Forums- does anyone know what this is?

looks like some kind of woman but i'm not sure user, sorry

>being this in denial