Is this a good place to start with Pychon or should I go for something earlier?

Is this a good place to start with Pychon or should I go for something earlier?

This is a good place. Read this, then Vineland, then CoL49, V., GR.

I think CoL and V. are rancid dogshit, but, I believe this to be a good reading order. I just thought, fuck it, and I read GR first.

It's a fine accessible book, but it's not prime Pynchon.

>I just thought, fuck it, and I read GR first.
Same. I just walked into a bookstore, decided to look at some Pynchon, and with my whole ten or so minutes I was there decided to get Gravity's Rainbow. I've been loving it so far and I don't really get why people try to steer newcomers away. It's a really well written book.

if you are "used" to literature/reading there is no such thing as a good place to start with Pynchon, my first book by him was M&D and I fucking loved the shit of that work, my second was GR and I liked it a lot, but it was kind of a let down after all the hype and after M&D

I didn't read any other books by him tho

i'm reading lot 49 and GR at the same time.

Picked up Bleeding Edge at a closing bookstore.. anybody have any thoughts on it?

infinite jest

/thread

I started with GR, and dropped halfway.
then I read CL49, Inherent Vice, and now I bought Bleeding Edge.
planning on reading everything else and then pick up GR again

I would go Lot 49, V., and then branch out from there.

i'm almost finished Crying Lot. Where should I go next?

I'm thinking Inherent Vice and then afterwards I will go on to one of his big novels?

V

V, then Gravity's Rainbow, then stop.

He jumped the shark after that, and the rest is just Pynchon-by-numbers.

It's worse than Inherent Vice, but not his worst book. 6.5/10 prolly XD

V. or infinite jest

Are you sure ? People seem to agree that Mason & Dixon is his best novel.

This retard has been spamming his "pynchon by the numbers" dogshit trying to make a meme out of it. V. is his worst book after BE.

>V. is his worst book after BE.
This is also a surprise to me. If it's so much worse than his other books, then why is it the one that everyone says people should start with ?

Because they saw someone else say it was a good place to start.

I started with Bleeding Edge, and laughed my ass off at times. Now I just started V., and I'm three chapters in, and haven't really enjoyed it much at all. Call me a pleb or whatever you want, but does it eventually pick up?

> and I don't really get why people try to steer newcomers away

Neither do I. If people want a "good introduction" to Pynchon it's Inherent Vice. Otherwise, read whatever interests you.

no. read V., then The Crying of Lot 49. maybe Gravity's Rainbow too, if you want.

What's Vineland like?

The description on Goodreads sounds like it would be funny.

No, it's horrible.

It is funny. It's a pretty quick read and Pynch always has good prose to be entertained by of the fruit loops covered in nesquick don't do it for you.

"You can't never not know nothing"

This confuses me. pls help anons

>you cannot know nothing
Hope this helps.

Simplify it to a math problem and keep in mind that two negatives equate to a positive when multiplied.

When resolved this leaves us with the phrase "You can never know nothing". Although if it turns out all human perception is flawed and therefore all input received by the brain is not an accurate representation of reality then you can never not know nothing.

Thanks, is this what you usually find in dfw books?

>Had had.
>That that.

What's the deal with the upside down badger?

It's from COL49

Am I the only one here that actually liked V? I thought it was a great roller coaster ride. Why didnt you like it?

I really liked it a lot.

THURN & TAXIS

TORQUATO TASSO

THE TOWER

THE EVIDENCE IS THERE

Maybe I'm Bill Murray.

No, people here love that garbage pile.

Yes. It's more coherent than CoL49 and it isn't like 800 pages long.