Why did Jason betray Medea?

She gave him everything she had. She saved him, she sacrificed her family for him and she was the reason for all of his success. Jason would not have gotten anywhere if not for her help.

I dunno, I'd have doubts about the wellbeing of my family around a woman who cut up her own brother and dumped his parts into the water like chum. Just saiyan

She did that in order to save Jason. If she did not do so, Jason would have been slaughtered.

Yeah she could cut another man's penis off to save my life and give me a new penis, doesn't mean I'd trust her with a knife down near my nethers y'know? Bitch cuts off penises.

Jason just isn't a one-woman man

If he did trust her, his wife and children would not have been murdered by her. Just sayin'.

He was right not to trust her tho, she killed his family

she treated his love in a fully mercantile manner. she tried to buy it by helping him accomplish the feats required of him and then helping him escape. this is no different than a man taking a woman to a movie and dinner and society being outraged that he expects her to put out. in fact, from this angle, she was a rapist who guilted him into fathering children and staying around as long as she did before he finally, with the help of a rape support group, decided to leave her for a healthy and functioning relationship. (which just happened to entail inheriting control of a kingdom.)

Only because he didn't trust her. He would have died early in his life without her. Also, she was the mother of those kids.

Ultimately, his betrayal brought out the death of his wife and children. She gave him power and fame. He was unstoppable solely because of her, and then he says shit like:

"Nah, you didn't really do shit for me. It was actually Aphrodite. Also, you should be glad that you actually live in a civilized city now."

pro tip. Medea is just Tyler Perry in drag.
Can't believe he fooled you user.

"No"

I don't understand why though. His actions doomed his family

Because Greek heroes are flawed human beings. Greek myths aren't some simplistic Hollywood fantasy with happy-ever-after endings.

If you're disappointed in Greek mortals, just remember the example their gods were setting ...

Nah man, if she's gonna murder his family because he didn't trust her, she wasn't worthy of trust in the first place. Bitch was crazy.

Their gods were flawless though, weren't they? They're literally perfect entities from what I remember

Not even close. Try reading an intro text to Greek mythology.

No. They were all selfish assholes who felt entitled to worship despite fucking people over for the most part. They bring massive unnecessary pain and suffering to humans due to petty squabbles between the gods and expect to be loved regardless.

The worst part is they're massive hypocrites. They constantly whine at Zeus for treating them like they treat people.

as ab9ve si bekiw

Homer thought so at least.

>Their gods were flawless though, weren't they?
Zeus' dad was pretty perfect imo. His only flaw was not treating Zeus loke the rest.

Athena, Apollo, and Artemis were exceptions though, were they not? I know some of the gods such as Hera and Zeus were assholes who brought pain unto others, though I do not recall a negative story about those three. Come to think about it, I'd add Hermes to that list too.

>Artemis
Artemis at least demanded the sacrifice of Iphigenia to allow Agamemnon to sail to Troy as he had been commanded to by Zeus, which kind of put him in a shitty situation with his wife later.

He thought he did though. Didn't his wife feed him the rock of Gibraltar in his place or something? Cronus thought he ate Zeus, but it was just a rock

The Greek gods are known for being the most human and petty of all representations of deities. They didn't even try to hide that shit

Why do the Titans seem nicer than the Gods? Prometheus even gave humans fire, he seems like a cool guy.

I reckon she didn't think they would actually do it though. And IIRC, she didn't ask specifically for Iphigeria, but for a royal maiden. Plus Agamemnon was a cunt, he didn't even question that demand or offer himself in her place, and he got tons of his men killed by betraying Achilles

Prometheus was the most chill desu. His brother is an example of how retarded the titans were in general

what?

this

just look at Zeus

cucking lads left right and center

Hera was a bitch

Why did Zeus even marry her

I always thought it was just a "HAWHAW!" to Hera that her marriage with Zeus wasn't the best. She was the goddess of marriage (and fertility, I think?) but her marriage with Zeus was pure shit (Zeus actually managed to knock her up quite a few times though).

I think it really just relates back to what user said:

He threatened to beat if if she would not shut up multiple times during the Trojan war

SPOILER WARNING YOU ENORMOUS WART FILLED CUNT

The story has been out for decades, you should have read it by now.

They had perfect bods though. That's what counts.

>Athena
What is the Trojan War

She didn't do anything wrong in the Trojan war. She saw Ares (who definitely should not have been picking a side), Apollo, Artemis, and even Zeus helping Hector against the Greeks–which was extremely unfair, so she decided to help them along with Poseidon

s/them/the greeks

Other than Prometheus they were mostly brutish simpletons. Sure, the Olympians could prove themselves capable of some pretty vile stuff but the Titans, more primal creatures of the Earth, just weren't cut to lead an ordered world.

He was running out of options. It wasn't like there were that many goddesses lying around who were both worthy of him and who could stand up to him.

Athena was beaten fair and square by Arachne in a weaving contest, then turned Arachne into a spider because she was mad that a mortal beat her.

Bonus: Arachne's weaving was a tapestry displaying the rapes various gods comitted.

She and Hera hated the Trojans' guts ever since that beauty pageant stuff and there was nothing to appease those two save the total annihilation of the city, which is what they got. She didn't just step in because she felt bad for the Achaeans because they had so many of the other gods against them.

I guess it's not just the brother but also the fact that she had killed King Pelias without any fucking warning and only told Jason afterwards. He had lost everything and got exiled from Iolcus cause of that. I mean, if your gf showed up on your doorstep saying "Dear, I've just killed the local ruler for whom you did the whole fleece so know you are getting exiled - enjoy not having any of your property" I'd fucking leave

Jason is a man, he got bored. He's a conqueror, a hero who knows he's fit to be a king and it's his right to be one. Is not that he doesn't love Medea anymore or isn't grateful to her but he has had too much of a good thing and has got used to it. Medea risked a lot for him--too much. She's more of liability now than an asset. He wants somebody new--a princess--and he knows where he can get one. He should know better than to cross Medea like that, of course he should know, but he is blinded by pride and desire. He wants more, he wants better. He's a man.

Clever bait.

Jason's a total Chad. I mean what's the most Chaddish name after Chad? Jason.

She was the oldest sister he had, she had seniority. There were a few Titans he liked better but having children with them would just repeat the same scenario he went through with his father, so he avoided that.

>Didn't his wife feed him the rock of Gibraltar in his place or something?
Could be. But that was his one mistake!

The cool dudes are all titans really.

they're both terrible

Everyone in this thread is fucking stupid.

Talking about "love" and the like are irrelevant to the story, what matters is that Medea is a foreign woman who would never be fully accepted into Greek society as Jason's wife. Regardless of whether he loved her or not, the marriage was never going to work in the first place so when Jason gets an opportunity for a legitimate marriage to an actual Greek woman of wealth and power he jumps at the chance. Not only does he get a legitimate marriage, land, power, and wealth but now he has enough resources to (as he tells Medea in the play) take care of his other wife and children.

Stop talking shit about my waifu

You're forgetting that he was planning to kill Jason, which she knew

Do you have a non-Latin source for that nonsense? That's what I thought.

Yeah and then she tried to poison Theseus too. She is too dangerous to have around.

By the late classical he was perfect justice

zeus actually learned

>Ovid isnt a legit source on myth

Oh, shit. Yeah, I forgot about that. She is still a bitch though and I was mostly supporting Jason through the whole thing. The fact that he is unfaithful and a misogynist like most dudes at the time (also a bit of a dick ) doesn't mean that he deserves to get his lineage wiped out.

>Everyone in this thread is fucking stupid
And you're on top of the heap, buddy.

>a foreign woman who would never be fully accepted into Greek society
>take care of his other wife and children.
Yup.

That never happened

Nope. It was just entertainment to him so he wrote whatever he felt like.

The true spoken Greek myth is that Arachne lost and then killed herself because she could not live with being a shit weaver and then Athena brought her back to life as a spider so that she could live on as a master weaver.

How could anyone beat Athena at weaving? That doesn't even make sense.

How do I know this? Why, Athena is my waifu of course

Fuck off Odysseus, Athena a shit.

>Fleeing from Jason, Medea made her way to Thebes where she healed Heracles (the former Argonaut) from the curse of Hera (that led to the murder of Iphitus, his best friend). In return, Heracles gave her a place to stay in Thebes until the Thebans drove her out in anger, despite Heracles' protests.[citation needed]

>She then fled to Athens where she met and married Aegeus. They had one son, Medus, although Hesiod makes Medus the son of Jason.[10] Her domestic bliss was once again shattered by the arrival of Aegeus' long-lost son, Theseus. Determined to preserve her own son's inheritance, Medea convinced her husband that Theseus was a threat and that he should be disposed of. As Medea handed Theseus a cup of poison, Aegeus recognized the young man's sword as his own, which he had left behind many years previously for his newborn son, to be given to him when he came of age. Knocking the cup from Medea's hand, Aegeus embraced Theseus as his own.

From wikipedia by way of hesiod you double nigger

This is true desu

I bet this guy thinks Hera is the fairest

I misread. I thought you said that she tried to poison Jason

No, the Titans were not a clever bunch. Prometheus was an odd exception

Athena disliked Ulysses and was the cause of his shipwreck

Helios was a titan too, right?

No she was actually very fond of him because of his cleverness. She was only temporarily angry because she did not get what was due to her after the Trojan war. She forgave him eventually and labored to get him home.