Queer Themes In Literature

Anyone up for a discussion on lgbt characters in books? Characters we assume are gay, homoerotic subtext in books, books about same gender romance, maybe some gender related stuff, etc.

I'm trying to get into pre-20th century works with lesbian themes myself. I'm bored of everything gay being post-1960s.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874217/
rictornorton.co.uk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi
youtube.com/watch?v=jnOa-pih96g
youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5Q75hf6QI
owlcation.com/humanities/Gay-Themes-in-Ancient-Mythology
sacred-texts.com/lgbt/index.htm
projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=8703150&icde=21539564
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sexual identity was made up several decades ago

This. Identity politics is bullshit.

Okay? But same gender attraction has existed for millenia. That's what the thread is about.

There isn't that much, most nonhetero people being in the closet back then - Oscar Wilde stuff has a lot of subtext, breaking into actual text in parts of De Profundis and Reading Gaol. There's probably some relevant Greeks, too.

Twelfth Night

Also, why do real lesbian couples never look like that pic? All of the ones I meet consist of obese people with dyed hair and lots of dumb piercings. Is it just where I live, or is that pic actually unrealistic?

Because pretty girls can get guys

confirmation bias, you've probably interacted with plenty of lesbians who look normal but didn't know their orientation

>I'm trying to get into pre-20th century works with lesbian themes myself.
Mrs. Dalloway has some very beautifully written passages of a woman in love with her best friend and the theme carries throughout.
Although I don't think she would call it "lesbian" per se, the character establishes beforehand that she identifies with nothing and "she would not say of herself 'i am this, I am that'" undermining the "identity" theme with existential ones.

Beautiful book overall

Gender was also made up few decades ago.
Sodomites in the sixth (not 100% certain on it) circle of Hell in the Divine comedy.

circle 7, ring 3. inferno canto xv, violence against nature

It has been a while since I've read it.
But it's the best book with homosexual stuff in it, for sure.

Bump! Can you recommend any pre-20th century works?

Not pre-20th century, but I hear Orlando and The Well of Loneliness mentioned often (haven't read them though.) I think Enchanted April and A Room With a View also have some queer themes.

For non-fiction I definitely recommend A Gay History of Britain.

Sappho is an obvious choice and from the restoration you've got Aphra Behn who has a few lersbian poems.

Statistically unlikely doubly so considering a lot of homosexual couples unfortunately make their sexuality the most important aspect of their lives and quantify everything they do by it.

>Gosh, I guess my opinion is founded on my impressions of the loudest individuals I've met
>I guess I'll put 'statistically' in front and then double it to be sure

Kek

you probably only ever hit on ugly women.

Carmilla. Not the web series but the original story. It's a sad lesbian vampire story that predates Dracula. I have heard it also described as an "evil lesbian" story but to me it is too sympathetic

75% of lesbians are overweight (seriously, google it). I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that statistic.

thisMy best friend in and after highschool was a lesbian. She was slender build, very pretty. guys hit on her all the time.
she had more lesbian friends than I would care to count, all of them more or less like her. athletes, hipsters, party girl normies, there was no indication of their sexual preference.
Shit was annoying because some of them were hot as fuck.
Shut-ins with no social life outside the internet don't get opinions on social life outside the internet

>he fell for the "I'm a lesbian" friendzone trick

Lesbianism is a nightmare. I am a lesbian, and 90% of "lesbians" are fair-weather dabblers, straight or "bi", mostly not even really bi, just "OK with touching girls", trying to feel more interesting. Or insane Tumblr dykes.

The cool thing about being a lesbian is that there's a really low barrier to being a fake lesbian. Most of the aforementioned straight phonies aren't being ruthlessly exploitative in faking gayness. It's just really easy to delude themselves into some kind of
>I bet I'm a lesbian :D I'd be sooo interesting! I'll be a lesbian this year! Haha! Tumblr told me it'd make me radical and alternative!
and then go back to cock for the rest of their lives.

1% of self-professed lesbians are sane, skinny, ordinary women who like women. And half of those will end up with men or alone because they can't find others like themselves.

funny you say that because I was the only guy she would've been willing to date but I wasn't attracted to her because we knew each other since childhood.

probably gonna date her cousin.
cry some more.

>tfw we'll never get proper adaptations of the Oz books

All this BLTBBQ+ theory nonsense is really wearing thin

Nightwood was fantastic.

We should make a homo lit chart

I've read a few trans related books and none really interest me. I think maybe I just want protagonists who just happen to be trans. Hearing people cry about their dysphoria and dating problems is a bummer

Do you actually believe this is an argument against confirmation bias?

Why do you keep going on about confirmation bias instead of just looking up the numbers?

Dracula. Most famous for the critical work on the gay homoeroticism of the titular character, but it goes both ways.

>mfw lesbians are twice as likely to be obese as heterosexual women
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874217/

>I think maybe I just want protagonists who just happen to be trans.

But that doesn't make any sense. Transsexuality isn't something that just happens to be, like a mole. Its a mental disorder that always has some psychological cause and very seriously affects someones life and often defines most of it.

What you're saying is like
>I think maybe I just want protagonists who just happen to be severely schizophrenic

You might like Myra Breckinridge

The Wicked books are really gay. But then again, the original Oz books were too.

>Transsexuality isn't something that just happen
He hasn't read Orlando

The statistics are still less than for men who spend time chronically on the internet, so being of that demographic, criticism becomes hypocrisy.

I notice trends within the alt-right. Talking points. That get spread to different boards, using bait.

This is one of those threads. It's interesting to see where it goes, as it's obvious who is being serious and who is not.

Depends on the country and its level of degeneracy.

Degeneracy should be filtered to fun.

I'm a skelly lanklet, get rekt fatty

Do you know how to read sentences. Here I'll repeat.

The statistics are still less than for men who spend time chronically on the internet, so being of that demographic, criticism becomes hypocrisy.

Who cares? Lesbians are still all fat unfuckable straight chicks and attention whores.

Who cares? Most men on the internet are all fat unfuckable gay men and attention whores.

>it's a let's repeat what milo said like mindless chattel episode

Even if we took what you say as true

>I think maybe I just want protagonists who just happen to be severely schizophrenic

>anything but a perfectly normal literary preference

I don't get why someone would pick up a book just because it includes characters who could be attracted to different things than the norm

It's like the mainstream equivalent of /pol/ asking for books with redpilled characters

Some people are attracted towards literature with their own set of interests.

rictornorton.co.uk
this person seems to have a decent grasp of the history and no-doubt has references to fiction.

tu quoque logical fallacy.

Please leave Veeky Forums and don't come back until you'd studied propositional logic.

Reasons why being a lesbian is cool:
- you get to kiss girls
- boobs are great
- guys are gross and smell like farts and smegma, even the ones without foreskin (being circumcised isn't an excuse to not wash your shriveled dicks you disgusting weirdos like seriously what the fuck)
- cute
- the head is amazing
- strap ons are better for penetrative sex
- sharing clothes is awesome
- no pregnancy scares

I wish my girlfriend would shut up sometimes though, am I right fellas?

>strap ons are better for penetrative sex

retard phonefaggot

You can pick the shape and size, they never go limp, you can plug a vibrator into them, and if you're feeling frisky you can switch who's wearing it mid sex. Seems pretty clear cut to me unless you're really into spunk.

It simply can't compete with a real cock with warm blood pumping through it.

That sounds gross, sorry! Toys are objectively better for stimulation but if you're into getting the ol' stink dick up your vag then I don't begrudge you for it, I just think you're a little weird is all.

There's actually a selection of stories and poems regarding homosexuality from very discrete authors from the 19th century Americas. I wish I had the author's name or at least the book that the stories were included in while I was in university but unfortunately I don't. All I can say is that same sex romance may not be as common the further back you go but it is possible to locate without much difficulty.

Rimbaud and the poet he was having an affair with wrote a series of poems about buttholes

Rimbaud more like rimjob jeez

kek did you mean to quote not ? Orlando by Woolf is magic girl shit, counts as lesbian too because she was writing about her girl crush and trying to get it past the censors.

>sane
to be fair, those ones are only rare because it's rare to get that in women any way. Sane lesbians are some of the few women without bullshit women insanity regardless of sexuality. The rest of them are just intensified woman bullshit.

Brideshead Revisited is dripping in homoerotic subtext. They really needed to just fuck and get it over with.
Proust's masterpiece has suggested dykery (and counts as gay for the same reasons as Woolf's Orlando)
Dorian Grey hasn't come up yet either that I can see poor Basil ;_;
Gide's The Immoralist if you don't mind pedoshit
Burrough's Queer obvi

Veeky Forums needs to step up its game, normally those are already taken

Same century, only the person I'm thinking of was American.

whitman wrote gay poetry, but i don't know if that's what you're looking for. more details?

Nah I got my person of as yet undefined gender. The trans-ness is central and she is insane but in a kind of homeric way. Myra is self assured if nothing else, it would make a change from 'the bourgeois problems of being trans #7'+it's not like she is compared unfavourably to any other character.

>homeric way
please stop being this pretentious, it doesn't serve your point. or at least read seneca.

I agree though, Myra is a great character, leaving Myron with all the muh feels problems. Orlando's good for female shit too because there's an acknowledgement that the female sexiness doesn't just have to be a victim thing. I can see why feminazis freak out over Myra, because she's not a victim, but I don't understand why they don't freak over Woolf's "and then I killed him by showing off my legs".

Let me tell you buddy me too. I just want to read about girls in a relationship but of my last book stop, one is a total SJWkfest (decent worldbuilding though, I'd probably enjoy it more if the author hadn't insisted upon changing POV every other paragraph or heaping pcness to the point where one of the mcs asks herself why she couldnt see a 14 year old as a queen and then labels herself racist. like yikes) and something that turned out to be a dystopia with every other noun capitalized.

@God, just give me my happy lesbian escapism

price of salt, aka carol

Homophobia is completely normal because homosexuals are innately warlike through their culture and exhibit open practice of pedophilia.

One of the most warlike nations on earth, Rome, practiced homosexuality especially in their military ranks. In their society, manliness was derived from sexual domination over each other. This meant if one man fuck another in the ass, he was socially over him.

Greece, another warlike nation, practiced something call pedastry: when an older man has sex with a boy in a mentor/student like relationship. This happened in Rome too, but the term came from Greece. This of course, causes a cycle of homosexuality. The culture of pedophilia was instilled into the next generation.

Surely my thesis can only be proved with cultures of antiquity, right?

Ready for some cognitive dissonance? Islam, the supposed gay hating religion speaks about homosexual pedophilia in their version of, "heaven."

(QURAN 76:19): "And round about them will (serve) boys of everlasting youth. If you see them, you would think them scattered pearls."

Maybe that's just in the book, right? No one actually practices this who is Islamic.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi
youtube.com/watch?v=jnOa-pih96g
youtube.com/watch?v=Ja5Q75hf6QI

I'm a pedophile so I won't judge 2bh

I think the worst part about being a lesbian is that women are cunty humorless wet blankets who can't banter.

Having two of them together with no one to do all the work (i.e., no man) must be hell.

What work? Men can't even manage to keep their piss off the toilet seat.

>I think the worst part about being a lesbian is that women are cunty humorless wet blankets who can't banter.

Nearly every lesbian I know is better at banter than straight men

>Homophobia is completely normal because homosexuals are innately warlike through their culture and exhibit open practice of pedophilia.

Ok Milo.

Mythology is often rife with queer themes. A few.

Hindu: Shiva, Vishnu, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Shakandi.
Greek myth: Agdistis/ Cybele, Zeus and Ganymede, Ianthe and Iphis.
Native American mythologies also have interesting tales on the origins and tales of queer folk. You have to dig around, but they're often colorful and acid-trippy.

Dubious: the poem of Fa Mulan, or the plays written years before.

Ah, fuck it. It's faster to link websites.
owlcation.com/humanities/Gay-Themes-in-Ancient-Mythology
sacred-texts.com/lgbt/index.htm

All sexuality is a construct, it's one of the most obvious postmodernist claims that becomes clear when you study history.
We've been living in a Christian heterosexual paradigm for so long we just take it as natural law, but this is not true. Other cultures didn't suffer from anxiety towards feminity, and completely accommodated same-sex relations in their social system, The theological idealization of romantic, faithful couples is completely tracable through historical ideas, none of it is "ingrained".

transgenderism and schizophrenia aren't in any way comparable but ok

dykes talking about their smelly vag and menstrual cycles aren't funny

I am not that other user, but he is absolutely correct in saying that lesbians are significantly fatter than straight, and even bisexual women. Scientific studies have been done on this subject and several have come to the same conclusion. Therefore, what is describing is in fact indicative of the trend, and not merely anecdotal in-itself.

projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=8703150&icde=21539564

You don't get to "nuh-uh neckbeard ad-hom" away an opinion that you don't like, just because it doesn't fit whatever "enlightened" liberal sensibilities you happen to have, when it is based in evidence. That the odd physically attractive lesbian does in fact exist (they do) does not buttress your argument, but instead is a glaring exception which just proves the above rule.

Your attempted wishing-away of the other user's evidence-based opinion at the end of your post is very poor. I'll even throw you a hint: in the above study and related studies, the sample of lesbian women taken as opposed to straight or bisexual women, is very small. That is, it is a representative sample of the population, but it's still true that they only checked a few lesbians (like a few dozen, I think). /But the point remains that they did in fact actually check, in the context of a formal scientific study./ The point being that there is hard evidence of our claim, whereas all that you can do is bleat "nuh-uh!" in the face of such evidence.

The study belongs to the 90 percent or so of all scientific studies, which merely confirm common sense: lesbians are fat, and the reason why they are fat (not addressed in the study) is because lesbians are largely free of the male gaze which socially demands physical attractiveness from women. If you're not competing for men then you can eat ice cream constantly and open a llama hobby ranch in early retirement, and never actually fuck your gf.

I agree since similar threads pop up often enough

Its about 0.01 percent complaining about cramps. It is almost entirely shitting on people.

I hate homosexuals

Ok.

I like kissing gay girls.

Alright let's do this. What would it start with?

This is something the straight world just doesn't understand about queerness. Only 10% of people are queer. That makes our chances of finding that "true love" or whatever that much more remote. And ok, it was an identity in Western culture only recently, but there have always been people who prefer the same sex. The biological drive to pairing and the desire for the same sex can be very frustrating. Promiscuity is some kind of compensatory behavior.

The City and the Pillar

The Greeks of course.

highest estimates are for 0.3% trans, 1.7% bi and 1.8% homos. where are you getting 10% ?

Yes yes start with the Greeks and all that. So we've got Sappho and Vidal.

Would this chart include gender bending?

More than three percent of people are queer, dear, most just won't admit it.

Source: all the """straight""" boys and girls I've known.

back to tumblr you go

I've been using Veeky Forums since 2005 m8, Tumblr didn't even exist then.

10% is the statistic a pedophile most queer theory of sexually is owed found in a prison.
Also, it's easy for queers because they have grindr and are mostly incredibly promiscuous.

my diary desu

homosexuality =/= homoeroticism and pederasty

as for Islam, you can even look at poets like Abu Nuwas

Why is Veeky Forums so faggy?

Yeah probably include gender bending too. Twelfth Night. The ones to also include that I can think of right now: A Separate Peace, The Monk, An Innocent Soldier, Death in Venice (?),Giovanni’s Room, Maurice, The Well of Loneliness, A Single Man

vomits

Both are mental disorders. That alone makes them comparable.