How do I get the most out of reading?

How do I get the most out of reading?

For the past two years I've mostly been reading classical literature from the 19th century and though I've been enjoying it I feel like I'm not getting the most out of it. I hear a lot of people expressing how much of an influence reading has on them, but I just don't understand that. Sometimes there are only a couple sentences in a whole novel that will invoke any feeling within me. Perhaps I lack empathy, but I think my greatest shortcoming lies with my lack of analysis. I don't delve deep into what the meaning of a novel is so I can't even hold a proper conversation with anyone about a book I just read.

I never paid much attention in English class; my teachers were always veracious and I was more of a stemfag. I don't even remember the structure of their courses but I'm interested in taking something like that up again. I cannot go to college/university, so I was wondering if someone could point me towards any online resources/courses that could help me refine my ability to actually take in what I'm reading on an academic level?

Other urls found in this thread:

oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Damn. Tolstoy always looks fly af. Damn. I don't give a shit what he said about fashion, that nigga was Veeky Forums.

Literary criticism - check out Cambridge Companions/any companions/essays on the literature you read and find some courses on Coursera, edX from decent universities on whatever you're interested in. Yale has an 'Intro to Lit Theory' open course if you're interested. oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300

Thank you user. Can you walk me through the process of actually finding an essay written on any novel? I'm having trouble finding actual essays.

Read what you like about things you are interested in. You arent going to run out of good books. Reading what you are told to read or are supposed to read takes the fun out of it.

I do read what I 'enjoy', though I don't genuinely enjoy anything (most likely due to apathy caused by depression). I just want to get the most out of each book and would like to learn an approach to this. If I spend 30 hours reading a fat book then I feel like I should at least spend an afternoon analysing or something instead of mindlessly moving onto a another novel.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

>Maybe I'm just dumb.
Yep, annoying too.

Sounds like maybe you would be interested in "New Criticism" or "Formalist Critcism" which is what they usually teach in high school to invoke a discussion of the novels amongst peers.

You can even try checking SparkNotes or something like that.

>help me refine my ability to actually take in what I'm reading on an academic level

This is how you do it: you first read it superficially without paying much attention to semantics. Focus on prose and its aesthetics. This is your first read. Now comes the second read, wherein you analyse. How do you approach analysis of a text?

Roughly:

1. Read the n sentence.

2. Stop; think, though in not much detail, about what it means or what it might mean and how it relates to previous, n - 1, n - 2, ..., n - (n - 1), sentences (unless it is the very first, n = 1, sentence of the book).

2.1. Use various formal methods, tools, and techniques to look at the lexical, logical, and semantical structure of the sentence. If it happens that there are one or more quantifiers, see what the scope of the bound variable(s) is, what domain of discourse it ranges over, and so on. Every time a character is introduced, give it a name (could be as simple as "a" or "b", or its actual name in the novel) and add him to the domain of discourse. Axiomatize its character by predicating whatever adjectives and epithets are appropriate; since there are events in the novel, preferably, you do it temporally: to each predicate you also ascribe a time coordinate to keep track of the character over time; whether it changes or not, and if so, how, when, and why, did the character change)

2.2. By Logic alone, see if you can derive any corollaries from that sentence. If you can't derive much by Logic alone, see if the sentence suggests or conversationally implicates (not to be confused with implication a.k.a. the material conditional of Logic) things in the novel.

2.3. Based on fragmentary information (say, first Chapter of the book), posit hypotheses about characters or how the story will unfold early in the book: you can use probability, decision theory, game theory, or 'possible worlds' semantics of Modal Logic

2.4. Read the n + 1 sentence, and repeat the process outlined above.

Formalising all of the novel is somewhat unrealistic but that's one way of doing it. It's effective and helps you internalise much of its content, relationships among its characters and events.

Tl;dr: just fucking use and apply whatever you learned in STEM to literature. It's not that hard. But obviously, discrete maths and various logics and calculi are better suited for this than continuous maths. If you do it correctly (be as autistic as you can about it), you'll retain most of it.

Good thing I'm a friendless neet who no one has to endure irl

Thank you and nice trips

With all the beautiful works of classic literature to read in this world, so many that, unless one is particularly fast and dedicated, she could never read everything of worth, how can one justify the time spent on thorough analysis?

This is a serious question.

I appreciate the effort you put into that. I'm not enthusiastic about reading books twice, but I'm sure you're right and that it would be the best way.

How can you justify no spending time on a thorough analysis? Are you really able to appreciate beautiful works of literature without analysis?

Google " scholarly article". I'm an amateur myself, so if anyone has any other good resources, I'd be grateful.

>With all the beautiful works of classic literature to read in this world, so many that ...
Don't blow it out of proportion; why do you say this as if it's an infinite amount?

>she could never read everything of worth, how can one justify the time spent on thorough analysis?
How do you know what's worth reading and what isn't before you actually read it? You have to set your priorities straight: quantity or quality? Do you want to read as many "beautiful works of classical literature" as you can without ever understanding them in sufficient depth and just flirt with the idea of talking about "beautiful works of classical literature"and never committing yourself to reading them, or do you want to improve your "greatest shortcoming" which "lies with my lack of analysis" and fix your current inability to "delve deep into what the meaning of a novel is" so that you could "hold a proper conversation [...] about a book [you] just read"? Quantity, quality, or neither? You can strive for both of course but doing so you diminish both aspects.

Serious answer.

Logically breaking down text that you love would not only be beneficial to yourself, but others as well.

Er, not sure about all the quotations; I don't think I'm the person you think you're responding to, but -- the Western canon alone is huge, and I do rely on the lists of learned and tasteful people to know what's (probably) worth reading. I have noticed that I've built a reading list which I will probably not complete in my lifetime, so it is a real issue whether to spend my time reading a new book, analyzing an old one, or rereading an old one. The first and last options seem most beneficial, to me.

Moreover as someone who likes to write I feel reading a wide variety of literature will help my prose and storytelling the most. I would be content reading other people's in-depth analyses of the classics and reflecting, sometimes contrasting, their thoughts and impressions with my own, immediate ones.

I wonder the same. Back in school I hated reading books and literature class so I never really learnt how to analyse books or texts. I've read how to read literature like a professor and it didn't help me at all.

You might be suffering from the classic "want to want" dilemma. You want to read because you want the end result, which is enlightenment or understanding, that you see in others. But you see those enlightened don't have a choice, they read because they have to read, because this is their interest and it demands it from them, you might just not have an interest for it.

>I do read what I 'enjoy', though I don't genuinely enjoy anything (most likely due to apathy caused by depression). I just want to get the most out of each book and would like to learn an approach to this. If I spend 30 hours reading a fat book then I feel like I should at least spend an afternoon analysing or something instead of mindlessly moving onto a another novel.

Maybe I'm just dumb.

Dumb is someone that does something over and over again without purpose or enjoyment. He just does it because others do it and because others do it he must do it and because others find enjoyment he thinks he will too.

How could it benefit others?

How else do I escape my inherently nihilistic state of mind? I'm already putting in tremendous effort into just getting out of bed; I feel like it's a personal success that I'm able to complete books at all. I can't say I enjoy anything anymore. So how do I enjoy anything?

You're telling me it's stupid to read if you don't enjoy it? I should note that it is in no way exhausting to me and I'm always very focused and devoted to whatever I'm reading. But again, I cannot say I derive any sort of pleasure from it.

Why are you trying to escape something you believe in and seems, to me personally, to be factually accurate. If you think reading a fat book is a personal success and that gives you meaning in life then do it. Guess my wild assumption was wrong.

>Sometimes there are only a couple sentences in a whole novel that will invoke any feeling within me.
Do you think they'd have the same effect if they weren't embedded in the text of the novel?

Bro you shouldn't be asking how to interpret books right now. You should find a way out of your depression. Sounds rough.