One must imagine Sisyphus happy

>One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

What if Sisyphus is actually sad, and the banal struggle doesn't fill his heart?

Is Camus inviting us to be dismiss Sisyphus's misfortune and not feel any sympathy for Sisyphus so that we feel good about ourselves?

We can choose to imagine that someone is happy, but in reality they might be deeply unhappy. It's hard to imagine someone is happy rolling a boulder for eternity, and I'm sure that Sisyphus is depressed and wouldn't like what Camus is telling us to imagine about him. :(

Camus is a hack

I knew he was a hack, he seems like one. Surprised he got a noble prize, honestly.

I feel extraordinarily bad for Sisyphus, because like you, I don't think he is happy :(

It's my number one weakness: I project "being" onto fictional/mythological characters, and sometimes inanimate objects, all the time, making me feel bad for all kinds of things.

That guitar that stands in the corner not played upon anymore? Poor guitar :(

Poor Sisyphus :(

>inb4 autism

Sisyphus is an allegory used to portray Camus' idea that happiness cannot be external and must be internalized. 'happy' is not necessarily laughing and smiling and frolicking around. More of a quiet but incorruptible inner joy.

literal autism.

Honestly, what did you expect from a guy that glorifies murder and racism towards people of middle eastern origin to show his twisted idea of an "over-man"?

I think camus was as deserving as anyone of the nobel. you just don't seem to understand his analogy

2/10 I replied

>racism is bad
ok

>implying good or bad exist
ok

>implying anything exists
outmemed u boi

I don't think I really know what autism is anymore.

>reading an analysis of The Stranger
>author points out in nearly every sentence how Meursault is unhappy
hmmm

kEK

He doesn't mean *actually happy* but that there is a certain satisfaction to the acceptance of the absurd and rebellion.

For Camus, "happiness" just means escaping the absurdity of existence. One can be "unhappy" in most profound senses, but one is ultimately satisfied because they have escaped despair.

t. ex-camusfag

He's no hack, Sartre was far more of a hack, but he didn't understand Kierkegaard very well. He was using his phenomenological "certainty" to excuse his lack of understanding of philosophy in general.

Yeh exactly, camus's not a hack at all, just accept things are terrible and that makes it good or something because you know and accept that's the way things are even though you can't know that because life is absurd but you know whatever.

I remember once I saw a family trapped, burning in a car and they were screaming and then I told them about how they could just accept the situation and have freedom in the moment, needless to say everything worked out

Camus isn't saying:
>oh life can be bad, but if you think positively then everything will be okay! :^)
He's saying that life probably doesn't have an inherent meaning. When you are born, you are not given a purpose, Life is therefore considered meaningless, irrational, and absurd. Camus then says that in order to deal with this feeling of a lack of given purpose or meaning, is to accept that there is no given meaning to life; and that you are responsible of giving it one.
Camus then says once you accept the absurd, you are free from it as you can now give life your own purpose.

literally the opposite of autism

i know that feel
i havent played my electric guitar in months

>He didn't characterize the elements of the periodic table when he took chemistry

Sisyphus has a purpose that can never be extinguished or tarnished, better than any man can say for himself. I wish I had a purpose like Sisyphus.

You're fucking retarded. It means that Sisyphus must delight in the menial and frustrating task as a fuck you to the gods.