Why don't writers or publishers reboot or remake novels...

Why don't writers or publishers reboot or remake novels? I would love to see something like Don Quixote but with easier to read language or even be set in modern times. They could do it like Hollywood and even insert female characters into traditionally male roles. Who says King Arthur couldn't be a Queen?

My girlfriend unironically says this shit. I'm going to pinch her tits because you posted this.

They do. That's what the emoki shakespeare is. That's what any book "inspired by" the odyssey or whatever is. Ulysses is. Idiot.

It has already been done. In fact, it is done all the time.

A good example is "Foe", by Coetzee. The Mists of Avalon by that one famous female writer is another example.

Movies reboot books sometimes.

because itsnot about the "muh plot", duh

pierre menard lol

They do it all the time, it does not sell well.

Here is vlad tepes as a bitchy girl

here is hipster maleficent

That turned my stomach slightly.

lol

lol

I know of a Queen author or two or more

because literature has higher standards than movies

If no one's buying these things why the fuck do they keep making them? Were all those quips in Gaddis's books about how it costs more to have presses idle than to print as much crap as possible true?

yes, its very cheap to make so they make them. someone will buy it out of curiosity or because the marketing spins it like "that powerless woman in that old story, yeah she is now a sword using badass that everyone falls down to" or it has the wtf factor, it is part of an agenda(gay audio books are more often given out for free), etc

its really, really cheap. sometimes they make interesting covers to trick people but sometimes they don't even bother

for some its also a personal project.I read to many authors notes saying about how it was something to pass the time in traffic or how as a stay at home mom they needed a passion,etc.

This actually happens a lot, plebs here simply don't realize it.
Goethe's Faust was essentially a reboot. Before him Marlowe wrote about the Fauststoff, Lessing also had several scenes but never followed up. Friedrich M. Klinger's adaption of Faust also precedes Goethe. After Goethe multiple people used the Fauststoff who tried to bandwaggon.
In newer times, Thomas Mann picked up the theme in his novel "Doktor Faustus".
Even Bulgakovs Master and Margerita is in a way a Faustian novel.

The same goes for the Don Giovanni/Don Juan material.

In a way The Lord of the Ring is a reboot of certain ancient mythologies.

There is lots more. Whenever several Leitmotive/leitmotifs are used again in combination a novel becomes in a way a reboot, as it deals with the same themes. As you can see especially well in the case of Faust, reboots don't fare too well in literature. While Marlowe's Faust is still known by some, the others all were swallowed by Goethe.

Most of the Shakespeare plays are a reboot in one way or another as well. We will always gravitate toward the familiar.