How do I actually cook rice?

how do I actually cook rice?
everywhere it says to put 1.5 water to rice and cover it until its cooked but whenever I do that the bottom gets burnt and sticks to the pot

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MafdzraXvR4
cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/20419
youtube.com/watch?v=Jf75I9LKhvg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

White rice is 2-1 with a tight lid.
3-1 with a rice cooker with the gay hole on top

Follow the directions that came with your rice cooker.

he said he is not using a rice cooker. Lrn to read fgt

nigger do you think i have a rice cooker
the point is that the shit sticks to the pot
i just fill till halfway and check on it and move it so it doesnt get burnt then just strain it

if your heat is not too high it wont burn..
If you cant cook rice then just stop cooking

Most directions for cooking rice are bullshit. I've learned this from experience. Basically, if you want perfect rice everytime, this is how you do it. You need 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. Say you're making 2 cups of rice.

>bring two cups water to a boil in a small/medium saucepan
>add rice (2 cups)
>cover and remove from heat (if you don't have a tight fitting lid then use a plate or something
>let sit 5 minutes undisturbed
>remove lid, stir and enjoy

wa la. perfect rice every time

>wa la

thats how i do it too.
Perfect rice every time

I worked in Japan for many years. Thats how they do it also.

a decent rice cooker is like 30 dollars and makes perfect rice every time. there is literally no excuse not to have one if you eat rice

faggot that's how you cook minute rice

pot with a tight lid is better

>rice is burn
>should I turn down the heat?
Stop being retarded

>he's never had fuzzy logic rice

That's how they cook rice along the Mekong Delta, and Mekong Delta rice is considered the best rice in the world.

>strain it
Nigger if you're cooking rice properly you shouldn't need to strain it at all. Something tells me you're using way too high heat.

The tl;dr for white long-grain (Basmati) rice is
>1.5:1 water rice ratio
>wash rice, then add to water in pot
>bring to boil then back the heat to low and put a lid on it
>DO NOT OPEN THE LID UNTIL FINISHED
>10-12 minutes later, remove lid and serve

You can season the rice in the water with whatever you like. Throw in some salt, pepper, cardamom, a bay leaf, whatever. One of my favourites is to boil some onions and carrots in the (salted) water beforehand to make a simple vegetable stock, the flavours of which are absorbed by the rice.

Even though this pleb does not know idiot semantics like 'viola', truth is in this post.

>not sure if serious

why is there grisaia in my Veeky Forums

boil, then cover and turn to low, and stir well halfway through

I like to use 240ml of water at the very most for 90g of dried rice, so 2.67:1 ratio.

This is with brown rice though.

Can't go wrong with the ol' first joint of your index finger method though.

>stir
'no'

wash the rice twice. then 1:1 rice-water ratio. Let the rice cooker handle the rest.

So how do i recognize a good rice cooker?
I've had about 3 shitty ones that always burnt the rice and shot starchy slop all over the kitchen even when i washed the rice very thoroughly. Also the nonstick layer always started to flake after about a year of use. A normal pot with a tight fitting lid and thick bottom seems to work way better for me.

Spin it.

Got a rice cooker, fucker always has rice sticking to the bottom.
rinsed rice, water ratio 1:1.5, 1:2, 1:1 (yes, 1:1. The damn rice wasn't even completely done and still stuck to it)

made it in a pot couple of weeks ago instead, boil water, add rice and turn off heat. Worked perfectly.

Still keeping the rice cooker, not much work cleaning it since it's just sticky, not burned. Mostly able to peel it all away after a bit of soaking, so i don't mind...

youtu.be/MafdzraXvR4

Just tested this.
I'm not the most competent person

are you a tranny or are you just putting on a dumb voice, I can't tell

Funny voice always forever.

hard to have to much water, too little though...

Hey user, they put synthetic chemicals in all our wheat and rice.

The answer is to shop oriental markets, online sellers or stores you already know.
That shit you're buying is literally ground, mixed with chems, moistened and reformed into the shape of rice.

The answer is simply to buy unenriched food products. Yes, they are hard to find, hard as FUCK to find, and illegal minus some tiny allergy loophole that people like healthy harvest exploit. Your rice water will also stay CLEAR WOW SO NICE instead of turning back into ghastly white swamp water in the pot.

Major point here.. Unenriched food costs 30-50% more than enriched food.

So adding these chemicals, quintupling your work load, hiring extra workers and acquiring these chemicals makes your rice worth half as much.
Have you wondered why? The unmodified rice does not kill you or cause health problems due to over enrichment of foods.
Maybe the body needs this shit, but it doesn't need overdoses of it three plus ttimes a day. Not when the substances occur naturally.. But are not sourced naturally, they are lab made synthetic versions of nutrients that you need, turned into liver destroying chemicals that you don't. Then added to literally every food you can possibly think of. By law. By the FDA.

Shit dude just use google and go fetch yourself a ramen packet. The side effects are appalling and meant to slowly destroy you. Enjoy your new life and not turning red as a crayon every time you shove nicotinic acid down your throat unaware of the shit having more than one name.

"Energy drinks are really bad for you."
>chews on toast
>toast has the exact same chemicals as the energy drink
>exact
>same
>chemicals
Debate me.

1) Get some rice (rice expands when cooked, keep that in mind)
2) wash the rice in a pot or smth with some water. this is done by putting some cold water in the rice and just running your hand in it. strain the rice and repeat this ~2 more times.
3) Get the rice (and pot) and put boiling water in it (it should be covering the rice and then some) put over low-medium heat until the rice is soft and can smush between your fingers easily without much force. Make sure the stir the rice every 5 minutes and drain/re-add boiling water when the rice becomes too clouded to see.

Sorry if these instructions were bad/unclear.
(source, been eating rice since my birth)

By the way, I use Basmati rice. It comes in a gigantic sack. I usually get it at Costco, but other places like ASDA (Walmart) sell it as well.

>Unenriched food costs 30-50% more than enriched food.

what are subsidies?

The water does not become cloudy if the rice is natural and unmodified, and only a quick rock and debris check is necessary, no rinsing.

How do you guys not know about this?

>eat enriched spaghetti
>hypertense, palpitating heart, anxiety and insomnia for 8-12 hours
>shit water for 3 days
>eat unenriched spaghetti
>full and relaxed for 2 hours
>actually able to go to bed
>shit is solid and doesn't require hemorrhoid cream and a doctor's prescription for specialty toilet paper

>How do you guys not know about this?

Because what you are spewing makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Rice is "polished" by tumbling it in a big machine with talc. That removes the outer bran husk and leaves the inner part behind. The stuff you wash off during the rinsing process is the powdery dust left over from the polishing process--some of it is residual talc, some of it is the fine powder ground off the rice. It's the same with un-enriched natural rice as it is for enriched rice.

I've handled fancypants hand-harvested organically grown Japanese rice as well as cheap-ass Enriched shit from wal-mart. They both rinse exactly the same.

Gonna agree with here. I've eaten rice for almost a quarter of a decade now and all rice washes the same, regardless of whether it's sourced from Asia or America.

t. Asian

Right. The government supplements the manufacture and sale of harder to produce, lower quality rice and grain. This does not create tons of jobs, just one guy dumping chems into the vats and a fda inspector to make sure everyone's getting poisoned evenly.

Sounds like tin foil shit, right, but I have yet to find an explanation for the support given to the more difficult production of a lesser, cheaper product.

Also these are generally considered waste chemicals and are unfit to dump in landfills or release into the environment, so why does every noodle, cracker, cookie, grain of rice, strand of spaghetti, cake, flour, cupcake, pancake, waffle, pretzel, dumpling and bagel in the US have the same 5 chemicals, unfit for a landfill, in them?
I mean the answer has long been clear to me, but still I get berated when I have to tell people that they have been fooled into eating toxic waste every day of their life. It makes them feel really fucking stupid, so I'm happy they take offense and keep their perpetual hypertension, insomnia and idiocy going. More entertainment for me.

do you wash your rice first?

Do you know if they do the same shit in Europe? I'm from Spain, we produce healthy rice here in Valencia, but one can never be totally sure.

It's illegal in most countries. Check your ingredients. They -must- sell the chemicals there because you have ramen, but I don't think that you go to jail in Europe if you don't chem up your food like you will here in the USA.

You will actually have a very easy time getting unenriched food over there, if you just check the shelves and different markets. I don't know your labeling laws, but look into Healthy Harvest if you can't find the stuff. I'm sure they would ship noodles and shit mad cheap, happy just to have a customer base. Check oriental or Spanish markets, these are the #1 producers of what you seek.

>This does not create tons of jobs, just one guy dumping chems into the vats and a fda inspector
>adding these chemicals, quintupling your work load, hiring extra workers

You've already contradicted yourself there.

Anyways, the government subsidizes agriculture, and in turn the agricultural firms abide by the government's regulations. Agrico (TM) can grow their corn for a vastly reduced cost compared to Farmer Joe thanks to subsidies and economies of scale. That's why Agrico's corn products will be cheaper on the market compared to Farmer Joe's hand picked, organic, fair trade corn.

Forgot folic acid link:
cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/20419

>.gov
>disputable

Search "chemical name NFPA 704" for actual info and unhidden nfpa charts that wikiedia will not display.

Am I the only one cooking my rice in a double boiler?

>put the top bowl on a scale
>measure in 60 g of rice (1 portion)
>add an appropriate ratio of water, typically 2.2 (= 130 g per 60 g portion)
>add 1/3 tsp salt per portion
>give it a quick stir and a shake so the rice is on an even layer
>put a lid on it and put it over the boiler for 25 minutes

Perfect rice every time, I don't have to get out any measuring cups and it's easy to scale up to just make the number of portions needed so I don't end up with any leftover or waste.

Thanks for the response user. I hope that American laws regarding food and health would change for the better

Do you actually know what these chemicals are for or are you just googling the toxicity effects of your "big 5" and posting them here?

I still eat that ramen up man. The real issue here is people not understanding that those "terrible for you" energy drinks, the ones that frequently kill people, have the exact same components as thousands of foods that they eat every day.
It's just nonsense to be so hypocritical. I can only inform, not change, this is the law.

Just to confirm. After you put the rice in boiling water you take pot off burner (put on other cold burner or whatever)? Also do you wash the rice first?

Perhaps I misread, but I didn't see any info about arsenic in american rice from the accumulation of pesticides. This is a major health issue, particularly for children, that the US govt. surprise, surprise, refuses to address. It's time american's took back control of their food supply from mega-corporations.

4 cups water
2 cups rice
Salt

Add salt to water in pot
Boil water
Add rice
Turn to 66% heat
Stir occasionally (in before niggers who like dry rice)
When the water is mostly gone turn it all the way down or just off
Let sit covered for 10-30

Yeah, no. Ramen does not have 27g of sugar per serving nor does it contain caffeine, taurine, ginseng, or guarana.

Prevent several diseases, but found also in almost all your vegetables.
How do we need our intake of them at easily 1500% DRV when they occur naturally everywhere?

This is like trying to prevent an orange farmer from getting scurvy: We have good access to fruits and vegetables, yet the government has to supplement these vitamins? By law?

Keep thinking dude, I'm out of this mind numbing conversation.

Oh and the secret to perfect rice is to use unenriched. Trust me. Try to find just one box or bag of it and I will become your new favorite person.

That's monster dude quit grappling, I'm out.

I didn't read the thread but I was taught that you put the rice in the cooker, touch the top of the rice with your finger, and add water up to the first bend in your finger.

You asked for a debate, and you claimed that ramen and Monster have the exact same compounds. I'm just pointing out that perhaps it's one of the compounds found in Monster and not ramen that's responsible for the deaths.

So if you have 4 inches of rice in a cooker or 2 inches it's still the first knuckle?

yee

Tfw my first time cooking rice and my mom said it was pretty good.

That was my post. You either didn't let it rest for a full 5 minutes or you didn't stir it and do other things before putting it on the plate.

Your ratio is off: if you're cooking white rice, it's almost always 2:1 (water to rice)

I forgot to mention that you used an overly-large pot. Some of the moisture that could've been absorbed into the rice instead stuck to the sides and the roof of that pan.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jf75I9LKhvg

anyone that says otherwise is a fucking idiot retard with no michelin stars

Method 1: I do this for short grain.

Wash rice, drain, and let sit for 10 minutes or so in your pot as you do other prep work with the lid on.
Add equal part water, cover, and bring to boil. Cook for 3 or so minutes then turn low and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Method 2. I use this for long/basmati.
Wash rice and add way too much water. Cover, bring to boil and let cook on high about 5 minutes. Dump out the water, turn to low, and let the rice steam.

if you got insomnia and heart palpitations from eating enriched pasta you should go to a doctor

Do this.

Use the SAME pot and lid every time.
Add 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of rice.
Bring to a boil with the lid off.
Once it begins to boil, put the lid on, turn the heat down to low, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, turn off the heat, and let it stand for an additional 10 minutes with the lid on. Do NOT open the lid.
After the 10 minute stand time, open the lid and fluff the rice.

IF: too wet / reduce amount of water by 1/4 of a cup and try it again.

IF: too dry / add 1/4 of a cup and try it again.

Repeat until you get the right amount of water for 1 cup of rice. This tells you how much water you lose for that particular pot.

When cooking more than 1 cup of rice, simply add 1 cup of water per 1 cup of rice, AND the amount you calculated you'll lose.

Example: 1.5 cups of water is perfect for 1 cup of rice. To make 3 cups of rice, add 3 cups of water + .5 cup for loss = 3.5 cups of water for 3 cups of rice.

>I've eaten rice for almost a quarter of a decade now
Almost 2.5 years?

>Also the nonstick layer always started to flake after about a year of use.
Don't wash your rice in the rice cooker pot, wash it separately. And then for clean up, soak it in water, I like soaking it overnight, and then use a sponge to wipe clean.