Do you consider the cover of the book part of the aesthetic? like if a book has a really awful cover...

do you consider the cover of the book part of the aesthetic? like if a book has a really awful cover, does it bother you?

yax2

not at all, and i generally care a lot about aesthetics. as long as all the pages aren't cum stained i will read it. though bad album covers and band photos do bother me

A book having an ugly cover doesn't really bother me. For example, I was able to get through the ugly ass Gabler's edition of Ulysses without really giving a fuck. However, if a book has a very plebby looking cover, like a picture from a live-action adaptation, then it will probably bother me and make me more prone to disliking the book to a very slight degree. also, if a book has a very nice cover, I might be more willing to pick it up and read in the first place. The Gravity's Rainbow blueprint cover is one of my fav's because it looks cool as fuck.

>if a book has a really awful cover, does it bother you?

yes

yes to the 10000000000th degree. i do research on the book, to see what it's a about first, then browse the internet for every edition of the book until i find the one i like. Cover is a big part for me, its like buying clothes, they all do the same shit, but i want my style of clothes, if not i just wont be comfortable. had to contact customer service for online book stores several times cause they fucked up the book i ordered. .

see, a cover like that makes me not even want to touch that book. I would be embarrassed to carry that shit around. doesn't matter how great the book is.

As retarded as it sounds, I'm thinking of ordering another edition, I have that version on my book shelf but it's embarrassing.

that's the most accurate portrayal of the iliad though desu

fucking hell, i thought that was a photoshop, it's real...my goodness. wtf lol, do they not look at what they;re making?

Yeah, I thought I was getting this edition. I thought I was being pranked when I opened my courier package.

wtf i love wordsworth now

If the cover is Wordsworth tier I might be bothered but I have some of my favorite books in ugly editions and I don't mind too much. I've got Blood Meridian in that terrible edition that gets posted here and it's still one of my favorites.

By and large I always judge a book by its cover, unless it's a school assignment or I'm borrowing it.
If only a shit cover edition exists of a work I'm interested in that I end up loving, I usually replace it with something nicer once it is out and give the fugly one away.
Living in a capitalist society, the things we buy to define us should at least have the decency to be aesthetically pleasing.

I like a book to have an appealing cover, good design, and good material quality, but it doesn't bother me if a book has none of those. It's not like I can see the cover while I'm reading the book, and I'll usually go for a worse cover and cheaper paper if it means saving a few dollars.

>Using the Dore woodcuts for anything but Paradise Loft

>newfags itt don't know about wordsworth
I wish I could still have your innocence…

>Living in a capitalist society, the things we buy to define us should at least have the decency to be aesthetically pleasing
>buying books to define your personality
what the fuck, go back to williamsburg you human garbage

What about the Divine Comedy?

It's definitely part of the aesthetic, but:

spine aesthetics>cover aesthetics

That depiction of satan is clearly not from The Divine Comedy

I meant Dore's art

I think he was saying you shouldn't use woodcuts that were made specifically for Paradise Lost for a book other than Paradise Lost.

but user thats exactly how greek warriors would have wanted to be portrayed and they'd probably hate your dumb bookish air-conditioned ass

I don't give a fuck about what some Greek faggots thought of me. I want read an aesthetic book with a decent cover.