Are you a writer or do you know any writers?

Are you a writer or do you know any writers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gOcTBNYbwx4
upwork.com/mobile/freelancers/~017d2d346f45e7c1f5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

she's a terrible writer.

>$9.00 an hour

Reminds me of this video I saw the other day, "How to play Gwent", where this guy talks about how much he loves playing Gwent while he plays Witcher 3, and he tries to explain to his friend the rules and strategy of the game. Well he winds up losing both of the games he plays/narrates and sort of low key blames it on luck, as if he were playing poker. And they uploaded it to their very popular channel anyway.

"Language is the way in which the world turns"

wow

Somehow I know this post is one of those irrelevant things I'm going to remember forever. Not joking or being mean just an odd feeling.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen, seriously. youtube.com/watch?v=gOcTBNYbwx4

How do you lose at an rpg?

That sounds like a tumblr header. Do you have the link to her tumblr op?

>$9/hr for that garbage
I hope she has a real job on the side.

My mom desu.

She writes young adult literature

My grandfather is somewhat of a writer

He published one book which has raised interest locally, sold around 500 copies I think. Not sure, might be more.

It's mostly autobiographical fiction and it's probably only relevant for people in central Brittany. He's also published a poetry collection but I'm not sure he's had much success with that kek.
Currently working on getting it adapted into music with a musician acquaintance of his.
He's also writing the sequel to his first book.
It's been sitting on my desk, I haven't even read it yet

wow that's pretty much exactly how i write sometimes. i can sense the disconnect between the ideas by trying to write and rewrite too many complicated ideas about the world so they fit into single sentences. she should read more

this desu, but i bet she reads John Green and shit

I'm confused, can someone explain to me what's wrong with the OP picture? It doesn't look bad to me.

You really can't see her horrible skill at writing?

I mean, I can kinda see it, especially in her opener, but can someone break it down for me?

dude, she basically takes three paragraphs to say, in the most dull and lifeless language, "I write and study writing."

Not that hard, homie.

I was more looking at the sentences themselves, not the sum of what she was trying to convey. Thanks senpai.

ok one example. the last sentence is way too long for a statement such as this. it should have been broken into at least two or even three sentences, maybe like this:

>i have an international baccalaureate diploma from high school and i am currently working towards a BA in creative writing. i have experience in writing well-organised academic essays and creative fiction of varying lengths. i am also experienced in editing for grammar and coherence.

as this is basically her CV/resume, the last section would probably have been even better as a series of bullet points.

then we can start working on the content. the fact she is studying for a BA kind of implies that she did ok at school. the bit about high school is probably redundant.

you can get away with that sort of writing in fiction or in creative non-fiction (e.g. travel writing) but factual writing more often than not demands clarity and precision, which this person's statement does not have. any reasonable editor would tell her to cut the crap.

to answer the original question, yes i am a writer, and yes i know other writers.

pic unrelated but who doesn't love a custard cream

According to Google, she was Valedictorian at one of the worst high schools in Texas.

gotchu senpai

Doesn't really matter though. It looks good to people who can't write and they're the ones giving her a job.

Tbh the biggest problem with her writing is her use of the passive. It sounds clumsy and weird.

I had a fling with a guy who got two essays published. He was one smart slice of cake but barely made any money off it. He never talked about those books and was fine with working most nights in a 24/7 drugstore. He eased so much of the shit climate around without even trying

>they're the ones giving her a job.

>hours worked : 0

>implying there are any true Veeky Forumsfags who don't write

>that long drawn-out response to say she writes for money
You're surprised she has no clients?

I have published two books of poetry and a novel. It means shit, though: I'm not Vargas Llosa or anything. I'm not even the hot shit in my third world country.

There's too much malice and envy in the writing world. I can see why guys like Pynchon or McCarthy stay out of it. Nowdays I do pretty much the same.

>nowadays
Seems like you always have.

Yeah, true, but when I was starting out, I used to hang around a little bit more in poetry readings or book launches.

I don't even go to those anymore.

Not regretting it, though. A writer should be writing, not attending parties.

>$9/hr
>available less than 30 hours a week
>hours worked: 0
>all that text to say she writes
She's going places, I can tell.

I know about a dozen writers and translators, mostly through university. A few were professors, others were grad students with me.

I think she makes that every hour? Like for all 24 hours in a day? Or I could be wrong and it's just the 30 a week. But if it is a continual payout, then it's like 78k a year. But that's highly unlikely and probably the booze in me talking.

What are you talking about nigga? She charges that for how long she's working on something you need her to do, meaning since she clearly sucks at this, she's able to stretch it out to get more money.

What fucking country are you from?

i think about something similar from time to time, the seemingly arbitrary selection of childhood memories we retain.

Pic related would be a pretty good joke if the rate per hour were shooped to rate per word.

Someone should do this, it could be prime material for rage threads.

I don't think she has any of those things, she sounds like all she writes is fanfiction.

Is anyone gonna deliver on this?

I know a few people who live from poetry and performing it. Both in and out of Europe.
I am accuinted with publishers and editors, festival organisers and people who run magazines/websites.
A lot of my friends are at the very beginning of a career (and will have books out soon).

I'm consider myself a writer, and I guess i'm set once I deliver the work.

Thanks user, now everyone save this and keep the rage flowing.

How much can you make self-publishing non-genre fiction?

It really depends if you know a handful of people willing to buy your book and tell other people to buy your book. So if you know no one who would do that for you, you're boned.
Thanks user, but could you make one where the full description is there too? Here's the link for any anons who want to give her work. upwork.com/mobile/freelancers/~017d2d346f45e7c1f5

I made a throwaway account if anyone wants to use it to fuck with her.
[email protected]
transexual1

hi

That's what writing is all about, saying irrelevant shit in a pompous manner.

hi, are you the bitch who can't write?

My sister. She literally just wrote her first book to keep her bf (also an author) interested in her after meeting all his friends and seeing that they are all part of that "literary society circle".

>tfw I majored in English
>tfw I have 4 unpublished novels
>tfw my sister never even wrote anything but for school related shit

I actually am an honest to God writer, who has been paid for writing in the past. I've done multiple freelance gigs, for fashion magazines and culture magazines and all sorts of shit.

On top of that, I'm a fiction writer, and I've even gotten some short stories published. So I am the real deal.

I am wri-tor. I self published a novel. It has made about zero dollarydoos

>I'm writer.

My uncle self-published some stuff, but I read one of his novellas and it was very garbage.

I have a good friend who writes VNs and makes money off of them. I helped edit his last VN and it was successful even if the prose is YA tier. It was a lot of fun anyway.

Is she any good?

Are you going to follow in her footsteps and not write cheap shit?

Do you even Hemingway?

Is your sister published? If not, doesn't matter anyways, does it?

Are your novels any good?

Give me a synopsis on the one you think is best overall.

There's always self publishing. Family and friends make good advertisement, and you can do at least some marketing via the internet.

I've published some stories. A bunch of my friends write as well, and a lot of them are more successful. One edits a well respected lit mag, another is a food and spirits writer who has gotten to do some cool stuff, one was published by Simon & Schuster and has a few awards under his belt, and another has a book out with Curbside Splendor that is decent. Then I have a pile of others who have some publications in journals, but nothing more.

Yes, such as the time the sun made me sneeze while looking at the American flag.

My uncle writes very technical, local-interest books on the Civil War that he publishes through an academic publisher. They usually sell less than 20 copies. He does them for enjoyment rather than sales.

This makes me really depressed. $9/hr? Fucking why? I almost just want to give her a hug.

One of my client's writes shitty fan-fiction tier urban fantasy, if that counts.

Dude... that's wjat they said about ulysses....

GET ON THAT!!!

No. But I'm in a family of artists. Most of them tend to put their hobbies on hold when life needs them to stand up.

My mom tried to become a writer. But she didn't make her fantasy manuscript happen. She managed BBS boards like a proto-NEET, helped my dad land interviews for IT shit and tried to raise three kids.

I think she wanted to get into non-fiction. So she made a page quota goal for herself. I'm proud of her.

>wanting to give some ugly gook a hug

Which one is she?

Does writing occasionally count? For example if I get obsessed by a book/manga I just read I'll write some fanfics until the feeling goes away.

>Ugly
You have a strange view of aesthetics user.

I don't write consistently, I just brainstorm like a useless faggot. I'm gonna roll to see what I will work on for at least one hour a day the next month.
>1-3 - the fantasy novel I've been brewing for a couple years
>4-6 - the Aria-like short story series I've barely planned
>7-9 - the romance VN that would probably be easy money provided the art isn't puke
>0 - suicide
>dubs - come up with something new

I don't understand how people can casually toss out a racial slur and expect people to care about the rest of what they said

Oh shit, what genre should it be guys?

>>>/Tumblr/

Get off back to Tumblr, senpai.

grimdark

She's the one on the left. Look at her crater face.

I am a copy editor. -t. literature major

I'm a writer. Self-published my first novel last week to zero fanfare. Never considered myself a writer before though, feels like a joke. Probably is, book is probably terrible.

I'm 'working' on my next book, but having a terrible new job is sapping my will to write. I only finished the first book because I got laid off and had a few months to decompress and work on it.

>tfw irl you regularly tell your friends off for using non-PC language
>tfw on Veeky Forums you constantly use nigger/spic/chink/paki/faggot/dyke/tranny

It's just ironic desu

She's been published over a dozen times. She doesn't make very much, between 4-10k depending on how well the book sells, but her publisher keeps giving her contracts so that's encouraging. I think they're good books for what they are. They have very, very, simple prose because they're meant for the younger end of the YA spectrum. One of them won a minor prize and some of them have been translated into other languages, or, best of all, reprinted. If they reprint your book it's money for nothing, you get another advance basically.

I have to tell you though, it's awkward reading a close family member's books. It just feels weird. I'm the only one who has read every one, apart from some of her friends who are also YA writers. My dad and my brother don't read them very often, or just a chapter. Her last book had a bit more of an "adult" theme, it was very salacious!

I've done a little bit of writing, I don't have literary aspirations, I just want to entertain people. Sometimes I want to write a Stephen Hero type story and just never let it see the light of day and describe all my squalid history in beautiful prose.

They're all cute! CUTE!