I'm cooking chili tonight, but I'm realizing it's a little bland. I'm looking for some tips to up the flavor...

I'm cooking chili tonight, but I'm realizing it's a little bland. I'm looking for some tips to up the flavor. Here's my current recipe:

>fry green peppers and onions
>brown ground turkey
>add together and cook together a bit more
>add can petite diced tomatoes
>add can tomato sauce
>can drained black beans
>can drained unsweetened corn
>small tin of diced jalapenos
>prepackaged chili seasoning packet
>couple glugs of beer
>small amount of finely ground coffee
>tabasco sauce
>simmer for about 30 to 60 minutes

It comes out tasting fine, but I really want more flavor this time around. Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Use chipotle in adobo sauce instead of the jalepenos. They're just smoked jalapenos. You've already got a fresh pepper flavor with the green peppers. Also, add a few cloves of miced garlic the last minute of your onion pepper saute.

Never thought to add garlic for some reason. I'll see if my store carries the chipotle stuff, thanks!

It's typically in the aisle with the other Mexican food.

>Any advice?

Get rid of the turkey. It has a very mild flavor. Use red meat instead (beef, bison, venison, etc.).

Throw away the pre-packaged chili seasoning. Instead use dried ancho and guajillo peppers.

Simmer for hours instead of 30 minutes.

My family always replaced beef with turkey for mince. I don't know why, but I just prefer it. Plus it's a bit healthier. Maybe I'll go with beef tonight since I'm trying to mix things up.

>but I just prefer it.

Yet you're mentioning that your chili needs flavor?

Needs corn or corn salsa. I'd also curve ball it by throwing in an Anaheim pepper.

Really just add flavors you like.

>Needs corn

Did you even read OP? There's corn in it.

>Really just add flavors you like

That's what I'm thinking whenever I throw in the coffee grounds and Tabasco. Maybe I should substitute those for some of these peppers I've never heard of.

>some of these peppers I've never heard of.

The name of the dish is chili peppers. They should be the main focus, not an afterthought.

Add chopped habanero peppers.

> corn in a chili

Get those cheap dried peppers in the mexican food isle. try a few different ones, dice them up and toast them till aromatic and throw em in the chili to simmer

Tex Mex bro. Bobby Flay is watching you.

Pour some guac into it.

It's all the same mexican garbo-tier food shit anyway, might as well mix them up.

Well you're using canned beans and canned corn and canned jalapeno and canned tomato, how can that NOT turn out bland?

Some tips:

1. NO CANNED ANYTHING (aside from maybe the tomato paste, but at least use fresh tomato as well).
2. Don't just add the coffee - instead, brew some espresso or greek coffee and add a couple shots of that
3. Try making the black or navy beans from dry. No, you don't need to soak. Just rinse and cook it like rice (bring water to boil, add beans, cover, reduce to simmer, simmer 2-3 hours until cooked). The cooking liquid is very rich and flavorful and is great for chili and baked beans
4. Buy actual ears of corn and roast the whole ear until somewhat blackened, scrape the kernels into the chili
5. Try roasting fresh jalapeno, red/green pepper, and onion together in dry heat until you get some char going on it. Blend some of it up with the bean cooking liquid and leave the rest as chunks to cook down into it
6. You could also add some MSG or powdered porcini mushrooms for a savory kick
7. Maybe a bit of liquid smoke.

>liquid smoke

I find it ironic that you're ragging on canned veggies (and rightly so) but then proceed to recommend that crap.

I'm assuming if he doesn't have fresh veggies on hand, he probably isn't the sort to invest in a proper smoker either. I also recommended MSG and I see liquid smoke in the same way: cheater shortcuts that can improve flavor when used in moderation. Whereas, on the other hand, canned stuff only saves you time while making flavor way worse.

>repackaged chili seasoning packet

Brah come on. Make a batch of this and have bomb chilli forever: foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe.html

Canned chipotles in adobo are fine to use and you won't need the liquid smoke because they impart a smokiness.

Use beef instead of turkey

Use fresh vegetables instead of canned

Use salt and skip the tabasco

Mix your own seasoning blend or just follow a recipe for one

>Beans

Not chili

My chili recipe is

>2lb 85/15 ground beef
>24oz kidney beans, presoaked
>two 28oz canned crushed tomatoes
>4-5 chopped habenero peppers
>two diced yellow onions
>one diced red pepper
>8 cloves garlic, minced
>12oz lager or ale beer
>salt, black pepper to taste
>hefty amount of chili powder
>cayenne to taste
>enough water to make it just soupy enough before cooking

Brown the beef and then throw everything in a large crock pot, cook on low for 4-6 hours

This, and . I'm not sure what 'tomato sauce' is, I assume (hope) it's what we call tomato paste and not a marinara sauce. I use canned whole plum tomatoes and crush them by hand. Pic related is the best recipe I've come across and the one I use with some tweeks to taste.

(Sorry for the rotation)

Turkey used to be quarter the price of ground beef. Now there is no reason to use it over beef unless you are afraid of flavor

And I should warn 'dried oregano' is Mexican oregano, which is completely different than Italian oregano. If you can't locate Mexican oregano, omit it.

And lastly, if you can't locate blade, chuck works great (I prefer it), you can use ground/minced obv as well - if you must.

so edgy

True, that would be a major exception in this case

Bloody Mary mix, changed how I made chili forever

>black beans
inferior to kidney beans
>can drained unsweetened corn
a can is too much

also season the meat before adding it into the chilli

Add Marmite.

If you like a thick and creamy chili like me, throw in half a brick of cream cheese

>prepackaged chili seasoning packet

There's your problem, right there...

Season using the following: Cumin, Chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, and salt, of course.

>>simmer for about 30 to 60 minutes

Chili is better the next day.

Regardless, the longer you let it simmer, the longer it has to meld the flavors together. Give it time.

>1. NO CANNED ANYTHING (aside from maybe the tomato paste, but at least use fresh tomato as well).
It's December. OP's better off using canned tomatoes right now. Unless he plans to buy a half gallon worth of Roma/Cherry tomatoes fresh will just tasteless and mealy.

10/10 Other advice though.

>chili
>ground turkey
>canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, canned beans, canned motherfucking everything, holy shit
>let's add some beer because LMAO beer dude

Midwesterners have funny ideas about food

How about not using tomatoes at all, did that ever occur to you?

The reason chili is red is because... take a wild guess, but here's a hint: it's not tomatoes

Could be, just going out on a limb here but it JUST MIGHT be why it seems bland

>canned chipotles in adobo
How about buying actual chipotles? This isn't 1974 anymore, you can buy stuff like that at most stores, and if you can't, you can order them online, they're cheap and non-perishable. A 1 oz bag is all you need, I'm assuming you're planning on using an assortment of guajillos and whatever else floats your boat, yes?

I'm sure Veeky Forums is going to jump down my throat here for being some kind of authenticity nazi, but dried chilis is kind of a requirement to make good tasting chili, otherwise you just end up with a sort of spicy soup without much depth of flavor. IDGAF if you want to use kidney beans or whatever, but if you aren't using dried chilis you're not making chili, you're making red soup.

I use guajillos, anaheim, and various other dried peppers, but don't be so fucking retarded that you can't handle chipotle in adobo. If that rekts your worldview I think you need to open your mind. Grow the fuck up!

What is there to "handle"? If you're going through the trouble of other dried peppers, it's one more fucking pepper, why bother with a side trip to the canned food section? You get a new can opener for christmas that you want to try out?

>brown ground turkey
Found your problem

texas chili doesn't have corn. that's faggy new Mexico.

t. Texas

use more beer, use dried chilis, use beef stock and for fucks sake use CUMIN.

The majority of your "recipe" is just garbage from a can. Why not skip the trouble and get yourself a can of chilli you stupid cunt.

>Use chipotle in adobo sauce

This, but don't nix the jalapenos--use them, too (I like my chili to have a bit of spice). Also, make sure you use enough cumin, black pepper, cayenne, white pepper, and chili powder if the seasoning packet isn't enough (it won't be).

A bit of thyme, a few splashes of Worcestershire, and some beef bullion is fine, too. Also, no corn and you should use black and kidney beans. Also, use beef instead of turkey. I also use some accent (MSG) to taste.

Also, if you have to use canned tomatoes at least use "hot" rotel.

>Brown ground turkey
>(don't stir it too much, you want chunks of meat)
>add onion, garlic, green pepper, and jalapeno
>cook until onion is translucent
>add 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
>add 1 can of chili beans, drained
>season with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, worcestershire, and apple cider vinegar
>add 1 small can or corn
>bring to a boil then let simmer for at least a bare minimum of 30 minutes
>if it's too thick for you then add a can of water or stock with the tomatoes

This always works well for me.

replace your "chili seasoning packet" with

1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar

this is assuming 2-3lbs of meat

And don't fall for the meme of "fresh everything no cans". The most important thing to chili is the spices. Chili is an amalgam of shit in a broth with flavours blending everywhere in such a way that you seriously cannot tell a difference between canned and not. If you have a decent spice profile like this one you could piss in the chili and barely notice.

This, even though this guy is being a total cunt.

There is no reason to buy canned shit if there are fresh jalapenos available, for example. I use chipotle with adobo sauce from a can but only when the local Mexican grocery stores are closed because I can't find fresh ones at Walmart.

I agree with your spices but I never follow specific increments because I always taste as I go and adjust.

Use 8418447 recipe but replace white sugar for brown and add a little cinnamon

Welcome to Veeky Forums.

kek