Poll: How many anons on Veeky Forums are materialists and how many believe in survival after death?

Poll: How many anons on Veeky Forums are materialists and how many believe in survival after death?

Veeky Forums is predominantly Christian though deep in their hearts they know that materialism is inescapable and the logical conclusion of it all.

1) Idealist
2) No; that doesn't make sense

>Implying you can't be materialist but still entertain notions of survival after death
>Implying you can't be theistic and have doubts about the afterlife

What color do you like the most, black or white?

Both. Everything must be able to be explained materially; we're just talking about more or less rarefied levels of matter/energy with different properties.

>materialism
>idealism

i tip my fedora even when im in the grave if thats what you mean

>Implying you can't be materialist but still entertain notions of survival after death
True
>Implying you can't be theistic and have doubts about the afterlife
Uh?

Materialists drink liquid poo.

>True
Not true; your body disintegrates. How do you imagine you survive if not via a soul?

>Uh?
Creator but no afterlife. What's there not to get?

>How do you imagine you survive if not via a soul?
I don't know, but it doesn't mean it's not possible, or contradicting. I don't believe like that anyways, I was just stating my opinions on his post.
>Creator but no afterlife. What's there not to get?
That's weird to me.

I have never thought that you can truly be a materialist and believe in an afterlife without qualifying to some pseudo-intellectual belief that life is some sort of "energy" that persists past the body yet I have not seen anyone explain how a consciousness could be explained after death.

>materialist and believe in survival after death

oxymoron

>What is Christian materialism.
>What is "bodily" resurrection after death

And beyond that, you could entertain notions such as eternal recurrence or alternate reality shifts.

eh its just semantics and what means survival after death

One of my favorite albums (the original, this 30th anniversay edition wasn't quite as good)

I'll alternate between materialism and catholic idealism depending on the day.

It can be argued that the only way to be a true materialist is to first be christian.

>placing value in tangible things

Does this make a man truly wholesome, though?

You're confusing the metaphysical thesis that everything is ultimately physical (no ghosts in machine, etc.) with consumerist materialism

No you couldn't, that's the usual religious bullshit wrapped in technobabble. There is literally nothing materialistic about it.

I'm not a materialist no, that's for Commies.

I also doubt there is such a thing as an after-life.

If it isn't about buying shit what do you mean?

I have issues with not believing in the afterlife because I can't comprehend a lack of consciousness. It feels impossible for me to understand or work with what an eternal lack of consciousness would be like, since that's so far removed from the human experience. Anyone else have the same problem?

hahahaha you fucking pseud

The two are mutually exclusive. Not believing in an afterlife doesn't make me a materialist

great album OP
the remastering of the original tracks is quite good, i dont care as much for the bonus material though

Not anyone gave me a straight answer out of 26 replies.

The purpose of death is to not experience living forever.

You believe in entitlement after death.