Books that will rattle me to the core?

Books that are so profound, depressing, unsettling or strange, that will leave you with a lot of different thoughts on the book you just read? I'm talking REAL NIGGA books.

Other urls found in this thread:

wattpad.com/user/MostlyHetero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get your daddy to clout you with the family bible.

History of decay
Book of disquiet
My diary desu

The Room by Hubert Selby, Jr.

Synopsis: Man is in prison and dreams for 200 pages about ripping the testicles off of dogs.

Naked Lunch (unsettling and strange)
120 Days of Sodom (EXTREMELY unsettling and strange)
The Fall (profound, depressing, unsettling)
No Longer Human (depressing)
A Country Doctor (not a book, but a short story by Kafka that is nonetheless an unsettling and bizarre read)
Coin Locker Babies
The Metamorphosis
A Crackup at the Race Riots

And that's all I can think of at the moment.

Burroughs' life is more unsettling than his fiction imo

The Anatomy of Melancholy by Democritus Junior

Oh, absolutely. I think the fact that a lot of the bizarre, twisted elements of his books were actually based on things that happened to him in reality makes his fiction more unsettling. Accidentally shooting your wife and spending years traveling the world in a drug-fueled haze will make you a fucked up person.

The Vegetarian

Give this bad boy a go.

Derrida, Of Grammatology.
Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange - penguin modern classics edition (then watch Kubrick)
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller to see the absurdities of America's war machine.
And if you wanna see Clinton's inception in literature you'll read Ken Kesey's 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' - penguin modern classics.

peace

>Accidentally shooting your wife
what part of pointing a gun at her and pulling the trigger was accidental, exactly?

I've read Sade, Dostoevsky, Burgess, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other writers whose work people say have that affect on them. The only works to impart that 'holy shit I can't read another book for a week' feeling for me are Moby-Dick, Coriolanus, Paradise Lost, and Lolita.

which edition of moby dick ?

Journey to the End of the Night
Hunger
On the Genealogy of Morality

Penguin classics. I think it's out of print

He was drunk and imagined to performe a play IIRC

It was a 'William Tell act', he put a glass on top of her head to shoot it off, missed and killed her

1984 by George Orwell

When you see the parallels with the direction our world is going, this book becomes a terrifying prophecy in the process of being fulfilled.

>All these entry-level recs

Tell us your worldview first, OP. And something you've read before that you enjoyed.
If you don't know anything about a person how do you know what will shake them?

There is some guy with a wattpad who gets intoxicated whether it be alcohol or marijuana or mushrooms or even LSD and writes short stories, I've read some of the ones he has not put on his wattpad and they are... odd.

wattpad.com/user/MostlyHetero

I anxiously await his future uploads desu.

Which edition? It's written in English, so, assuming that Anglo is your native language, you should be able just to look at different editions on Amazon and choose the one with the critical apparatus most attractive to you (from 0 to Norton Critical).

That guy would be a very interesting interview. About... Well, anything.

Bodies that Matter by Judith Butler will throw you for a loop.

Any Mishima

Last book I read was Infinite Jest (not joking) and I really liked it.

I'm currently reading Notes from Underground.

The idiot

I get how its more of a social commentary on Russian society but christ its sad to watch the people and their acceptable faults break a person so utterly and entirely

Did you just begin reading?

Reading classics/literature, yes.